Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 fluorescents on a plug

Options
  • 17-11-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I am renting an farm this year which has a shed and I need to feed hay in it. All that's in the shed is one double socket for power and no lights. Since I am only renting this farm for one year and will be giving it back off the winter I only want to put in temporary lights as I will be taking them back with me again. Would it be safe to wire 3 double fluorescent lights into one socket a nd plug this in. Lights will only be plugged in when I am there and not left on overnight etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

mengele wrote: »
    I am renting an farm this year which has a shed and I need to feed hay in it. All that's in the shed is one double socket for power and no lights. Since I am only renting this farm for one year and will be giving it back off the winter I only want to put in temporary lights as I will be taking them back with me again. Would it be safe to wire 3 double fluorescent lights into one socket a nd plug this in. Lights will only be plugged in when I am there and not left on overnight etc

Anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Anyone

3 fittings will be fine in terms of load.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

It should be fine.

Let's say each tube is max of 40w.

That's 240w total... About 1amp.

I would be putting a 3amp fuse in the plug though,and maybe on an extension lead with a RCD built in. I wouldn't want to reply on a high amperage breaker to trip if something was to go wrong.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Castlerea1121

Anyone

Not safe and its against regulations you said there is a socket in the shed already is there a trip switch in the shed or is the socket just tapped off a house or something

What’s regs it against out of curiosity.
    If you know you should say in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭monseiur

I'm not an electrician but.... If roof of building is prone to condensation (and most older agriculture buildings are) be sure to use waterproof fittings.
    M.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no specific regulation that deals with lights fed from a lead. However there are specific regulations that essentially state that the wiring system must be suitable for the environmental / ambient conditions that they are installed in.

So in the case of a farmyard careful consideration must be given to the following:

1) Increased risk of water ingress. Therefore a high IP rating should be considered throughout.

2) High risk of mechanical damage. This can be from livestock, rodents, machinery or other. A great way to deal with this is to mount everything in such a way that it is out of reach of all livestock.

3) Increased risk of elecution. Plenty of wet hands and well earthed humans not to mention the fact that just 25 V can kill a cow. No extraneous conductive parts is often best. “Commando” type sockets are best, not only are they the most rugged but they provide the IP rating required.

4) Equipotential bonding and earthing in general needs to be taken very seriously in this environment. There are specific regulations pertaining to this.

5) The socket cricuit should be protected by a suitably rated RCBO.

6) The risk of corrosion is also significantly higher. Often plastic is best for this reason.

Farmyards are dangerous places, particularly when electricity is introduced into the mix. The first time I was present when someone was electrocuted was on a farmyard long before I served my time. I will never forget it.

My advice: Don’t take chances, get a professional in.

Advertisement