Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc help please

Options
  • 18-11-2018 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Guys sorry if I'm in the wrong form but I was picking up a pc in Argos tomorrow but reading through posts here I checked adverts.
    Could someone look at a spec for me please and see if better than new in argos. I'm clueless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Post a link to what you are thinking of buying and what you plan on using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Guys sorry if I'm in the wrong form but I was picking up a pc in Argos tomorrow but reading through posts here I checked adverts.
    Could someone look at a spec for me please and see if better than new in argos. I'm clueless

That is very little info that you might spend a few bob on.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Argos sell PCs?? never would have thought that. Considering that most of the stuff you buy in Argos is low quality I wouldn't even consider them. I'd also avoid PC world. I bought my PC online from a crowd in Carlow I think? https://www.custompc.ie/

good machine, customised it, ordered an extra screen AND didn't have to pay for windows as it's normally bundled into all the other costs when you buy from high street. i already had a copy so I just installed that when i got it but guess you need the technical knowhwow

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Thank you. There are a few in my area as I am bordering counties but this is one .I

https://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-built-i5-gaming-pc/11202845

I would be using it for photo editing. Partner for general office work. But the problem is my eldest wanting the likes of minecraft. Would be hoping to last a few years. I've tried all the usually buying new over the last month. But need one now asap

I won't buy in currys due to a nightmare with them with a laptop in february. Faulty hard drive. I will check that site thank you.

• Advertisement

This is another

https://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/gaming-pc-i5-8gb-gtx-560-ti/16360666

I have a higher budget than these, about 800 but need monitor also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Thank you. There are a few in my area as I am bordering counties but this is one .I

I would be using it for photo editing. Partner for general office work. But the problem is my eldest wanting the likes of minecraft. Would be hoping to last a few years. I've tried all the usually buying new over the last month. But need one now asap
    I'v never player minecraft but it is not that needs a good PC.

You got off lucky if that's all that's needed.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I'v never player minecraft but it is not that needs a good PC.

You got off lucky if that's all that's needed.

She's still only young and only plays it on an old playStation her cousin gave her so they won't be playing it much so it doesn't need to be anything great for games. It's more not wanting one that hangs and drive me myself mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Do not buy out of currys or argos. Complete and utter crap.

Whats your budget? And how much into photo editing are you? Is it just a past time?

800 or so with monitor. I was settling on one in Argos due to being able to pick up tomorrow tbh as I've been looking and reading reviews a month now and needed it by Monday and couldn't decide all month.

• Advertisement

Do you have the link to one in Argos?

It was one where she'd have to forget her game. They have hardly anything in stock or available to order.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8523589/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C50000560%7CComputers+and+monitors%7C50000565/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000565%7CDesktop+computers+and+all-in-ones%7C50000592.htm

I've been checking amazon but it's like no matter how much I look, I need someone now to say right click this link and buy this and stop reading reviews

Stay well clear off that donedeal(Brutal) one and the one in argos.

This one you posted off adverts is actually decent for the price.

Some of the regulars will be on here tomorrow to better advise.Its been a couple of years since i built my own PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It was one where she'd have to forget her game. They have hardly anything in stock or available to order.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8523589/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C50000560%7CComputers+and+monitors%7C50000565/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000565%7CDesktop+computers+and+all-in-ones%7C50000592.htm

I've been checking amazon but it's like no matter how much I look, I need someone now to say right click this link and buy this and stop reading reviews
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/gaming-laptops-desktops/inspiron-dt-5680/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/cd568026?view=configurations

Dell desktop with 24" monitor for under 800 euro

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/gaming-laptops-desktops/dell-g3-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop/cn35710

Dell 15" laptop for under 800 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The dell is a good choice, perfect for what you want it for.

Thank you. I'm going to go with either the one on adverts or dell. I'm just wondering if I go with Dell should I wait to see Friday if they'll reduce similar Friday. Is there much difference between i3 and i5

Stay well clear off that donedeal(Brutal) one and the one in argos.

This one you posted off adverts is actually decent for the price.

Some of the regulars will be on here tomorrow to better advise.Its been a couple of years since i built my own PC.

Adverts for 450?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lads have those links magically been altered or something? People saying they're brutal?

The DoneDeal PC linked is an i7-7700 with 16GB ram and a GTX1050Ti. A steal at 500... if it's a genuine add. It's significantly more powerful than the Dell!

The Argos PC is a modern Ryzen 2200G, not blazing fast but a solid reliable build with new tech, a good CPU, and very good integrated graphics perfect for Minecraft, at €500 from retail it's a good deal.

The one on Adverts is fine but far older, I wouldn't bother as given your intended uses I'd probably get the Argos one as it's relatively powerful for what you want it for, and has a full warranty for peace of mind.

Seriously people are posting some blatant misinformation here.

Lads have those links magically been altered or something? People saying they're brutal?

The DoneDeal PC linked is an i7-7700 with 16GB ram and a GTX1050Ti. A steal at 500... if it's a genuine add. It's significantly more powerful than the Dell!

The Argos PC is a modern Ryzen 2200G, not blazing fast but a solid reliable build with new tech, a good CPU, and very good integrated graphics perfect for Minecraft, at €500 from retail it's a good deal.

The one on Adverts is fine but far older, I wouldn't bother as given your intended uses I'd probably get the Argos one as it's relatively powerful for what you want it for, and has a full warranty for peace of mind.

Needs it for photo editing as well

• Advertisement

Needs it for photo editing as well

That doesn't really change anything though.

The i7-7700 in the Done Deal PC is an excellent, high-end CPU, ideal for intensive gaming or editing. What is brutal about it? :confused:

The 2200G in the Argos is on-par with the i5 in the Adverts PC, both quad core/quad thread processors, but the Ryzen supports much faster DDR4 ram and is generally just newer tech/more upgradable/brand new.

For a Minecraft gaming machine/general use/editing machine that you can pick up in a retail store, the €500 Argos PC is great value.

The Argos PC is fine-ish, but the Dell is a better PC by far & OP just wants it now.
    Also Dell monitors are second-to-none.

I'm not disputing the Dell isn't better but it's €800, the Argos one is €500 and a good 1080p monitor with photo editing in mind can be had for €150, so it's still €150 odd less.

i3-8100 is a bit faster than Ryzen 2200G, and the GTX1050 is obviously faster than the Vega Graphics, but I think for the OP's uses the Argos machine is still perfectly suitable for her and can be upgraded down the line pretty handily if/when needed.

Having said that, if the OP has 800 to spend right now, absolutely go for it, but just pointing out that the Argos machine is 100% viable for their needs.

Made a mistakke with the donedeal one, didn't see the specs and the case instantly put me off but 4GB of Ram for photo editing is pushing it

Made a mistakke with the donedeal one, didn't see the specs and the case instantly put me off but 4GB of Ram for photo editing is pushing it

Well that is a fair point, I didn't notice the Argos one has 4GB ram. Would be usable still, but 8GB would be ideal and it does lessen the gap a little between the Dell and Argos machines taking that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

When I check that Dell Desktop link the monitor is not included

When you click "Add to Basket" it's there.

Dell 24 InfinityEdge Monitor - S2419H -60.5cm(23.8") Black

The PC is 629.00 by itself.

Advertisement