Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal hard drive failure on MacBook Pro.

Options
  • 18-11-2018 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I tried to turn on my 2012 retina MBP earlier and got a grey apple loading screen with progress bar followed by it turning off. I booted into disc utility to try and repair the disc but got the message "disk utility can't repair disk, back up files, reformat and re install files".

Where do I go from here? I don't have a recent back up of anything. My brother has a 2TB external hard drive he uses for his mac, is it possible for me to back up files onto that now even though my hard drive has already failed? If so how do I go about it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭melchior1951

The 2012 Retina MBP didn't come with hard drives, all models have SSDs. Luckily they can still be replaced (with current models that's impossible). Google "iFixit SSD replacement 2012 MacBook Pro"

Now that your Mac doesn't boot anymore you can't just back up your files to an external hard drive. If you have access to another Mac with Thunderbolt, you can boot your Mac in Target Disk Mode and see if you can still access your data that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah as said above. Hold down T on startup and your MacBook should become readible as if it’s a big External HD itself. Not sure if you need to have it cabled up to your brothers Mac first then start, as I’ve never done it.
    Hopefully it’ll should up and you can rescue some files or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Duff

Managed to rescue the majority of files through target disk mode. I then wiped the SSD and installed macOS High Sierra from a bootable USB and it's working perfect again. Thanks for the tips, lads.

On a side note, my battery is on the way out. Where's the cheapest place to get a replacement? Apple want crazy money to supply and fit a battery and it's something I could easily do myself.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Actually just ordered a mac book battery for a 2012 one. Uk seller on ebay with v good reviews. Think it comes in at just under 40 euro. Expecting it next thursday and hoping it works. You're right about appke's charge. I reckon we'd pay over 200 euro which is a bit much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Duff

Actually just ordered a mac book battery for a 2012 one. Uk seller on ebay with v good reviews. Think it comes in at just under 40 euro. Expecting it next thursday and hoping it works. You're right about appke's charge. I reckon we'd pay over 200 euro which is a bit much tbh.

Any chance you could send me a link via PM? Had a quick look there and can't see anything under €75-80.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement