Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your mortgage as a % of earnings or euro

Options
124»

Comments

25% of my net, with (hopefully less than) 13.5 years to go. Plan is to try and lump sum it as much as I can and get it over and done as soon as possible.

25% of my net, with (hopefully less than) 13.5 years to go. Plan is to try and lump sum it as much as I can and get it over and done as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

tom1ie wrote: »
    33% is manageable, as long as there are no bigger outlays such as childcare which is probably the second biggest outlay nowadays.

Also depends on the salary level, a monthly mortgage of 3300 on a net salary of 10000 and a mortgage of 600 on a net salary of 1800 are both 33%, but obviously the latter would be far more of a struggle as there are a certain amount of (relatively similar) fixed costs that everyone has to pay like groceries, electricity/gas, bins, insurance, possibly childcare etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

22% of my after tax wage. 10.5 years left.

I'm thinking of moving somewhere more lifestyle appropriate in a few years. I'd be mid-40s then so I'm not sure what kind of mortgage I'd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Ginger83

tom1ie wrote: »
    No. I just pay whatever I can afford to pay at the end of the month from my wife’s and my wages. I try and make a min. Payment of 2x, but if I have extra I’ll pay it. Im 6 years into a 30 year mortgage. The plan is to have it paid off in another 10 to 12 years going by the ccpc mortgage calculators.

Thats impressive, i didn't know you could pay a different figure every month.

Ours is 18%, about 90k/27yrs left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I just looked and 23% of my take home goes to mortgage so it isn't too bad really, had house 4 years almost and done a lot of work.
    I was on 3.65% but fixed again recently at 3% so that knocked it down a bit. I haven't considered overpaying tbh but might look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

unhappyBB wrote: »
    This has always confused me. Surely paying the mortgage should take priority over small loans? :confused:
    Maths in my simple mind for a €100 over payment:
    100 @ 3% * 30yrs = €90 interest saving
    100 @ 9% * 5yrs = €45 interest saving

Also, I don't know how he just went into credit on his mortgage. Mine just looks like a massively negative current account balance. When I lodge extra into it the balance reduces. Interest is then added to it every quarter.

Oh ya: singleton, 28% of net, 1 year into a 35 year but I over pay to 40% when possible

After paying off your 9% loan you then overpay on your mortgage, which you haven't accounted for above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

About 23% of net of combined wages, that includes 10% overpay on mortgage. 1 year into a 30 year mortgage and a 3 year fixed rate, when the fixed rate is up in 2 years I plan to pay off a lump of at least 25% of total mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Minus 9.5% of gross pay

Advertisement