Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good non-fancy restaurant

Options
  • 18-11-2018 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for myself and the Mrs for a restaurant. Nothing fancy but somewhere with good regular food. Regularly go to Mulligans in Stoneybatter and always found it lovely, so something along those lines, but just thought we'd see what else was out there and need the city so we can both have a drink.

Edit - that kind of food too, not an Italian or Chinese or anything. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mulligans food would be on the fancy side of things (while still traditional/Irish) which is the problem here. The other 'gastropubs' might be an idea, there's two opposite each other on Bath Avenue a little bit out of the city centre, The Old Spot and Chophouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Try the Green Hen! Not a pub but not super fancy. A good balance and really good food. Early bird is great value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

L1011 wrote: »
    Mulligans food would be on the fancy side of things (while still traditional/Irish) which is the problem here. The other 'gastropubs' might be an idea, there's two opposite each other on Bath Avenue a little bit out of the city centre, The Old Spot and Chophouse.

It's not one you'd feel the need to be overly dressed up for, though I probably should have put that better. Food can be fancy enough, I'd like the place on the more relaxed side of things. Gastropub is probably spot on actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Og81

Depending on Food preference. Tribeca in Ranelagh.

Both those pubs look very nice that L1011 posted, especially the chophouse one. Like the look of the green hen menu but the Mrs said that they were there on a staff night once and the staff were woeful rude.

• Advertisement

Og81 wrote: »
    Depending on Food preference. Tribeca in Ranelagh.
    Cheers, I'll look that up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Il Vicoletto on Crow St (near temple bar). Small and busy but the food and service is class. I'm not much of a chocolate fan but their fondent is out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

You ever try Lavanda around the corner from mulligans on Brunswick Street, more substance than style, in a good unpretentious way. Not a big menu, but I find that reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

PHX Bistro, lovely staff, relatively cheap and very easy going.

Il Vicoletto on Crow St (near temple bar). Small and busy but the food and service is class. I'm not much of a chocolate fan but their fondent is out of this world.

Cheers but as much as her eyes lit up when I mentioned fondant it's definitely too fancy looking and a place I feel I'd need a tie and all on.

Definitely would be looking more gastro pub.

• Advertisement

PHX Bistro, lovely staff, relatively cheap and very easy going.

That looks lovely. Definitely on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

I second the recommendation for The Green Hen on Wicklow street. Good food and a nice atmosphere, esp this time of year (dark interior).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+! on Green Hen, always had nice meals there. Other options for non-fancy but good tucker might be Brother Hubbard on Capel St, Green 19 on Camden St and FX Buckleys Bull and Castle opposite Christchurch. Bison Bar on Wellington Quay also decent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Brother Hubbard +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Ashton’s Clonskeagh, was there a function once and their catering was actually stunning. Their menu might be expensive mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Any of the FX Buckley’s would be right up your street I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Muahahaha wrote: »
    FX Buckleys Bull and Castle opposite Christchurch. Bison Bar on Wellington Quay also decent.

+1 on B&C.

Bison Bar probably shy of what OP is looking for - delicious spot but a bit "messy" food moreso than steak, etc...

Any of the FX Buckley’s would be right up your street I think.

Had a work do there once and found the food very average. Wouldn't be far off what you'd get in a cafe.

+1 on B&C.

Bison Bar probably shy of what OP is looking for - delicious spot but a bit "messy" food moreso than steak, etc...

That's the ultimate food for me but while I've tried the others I wouldn't go near Bison because of that stupid policy of not taking bookings in an attempt to have a queue outside like Bunsen.

Cheers for all the suggestions anyway, I'll definitely be checking them out. Some really good pub style ones.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's the ultimate food for me but while I've tried the others I wouldn't go near Bison because of that stupid policy of not taking bookings in an attempt to have a queue outside like Bunsen.

They definitely do take reservations. I head in there every 3 months before my blood donation and most of the tables are reserved. Maybe run it by them - especially since they've opened a whole new part to Bison with loads of seating.

They definitely do take reservations. I head in there every 3 months before my blood donation and most of the tables are reserved. Maybe run it by them - especially since they've opened a whole new part to Bison with loads of seating.

Ah right, thanks. Maybe it has changed. I remember asking if they did for the first year or two and no joy but I didn't know it was bigger now. I believe it's a lot nicer than Pitt Bros, which I found fairly average (only one visit though).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Both those pubs look very nice that L1011 posted, especially the chophouse one. Like the look of the green hen menu but the Mrs said that they were there on a staff night once and the staff were woeful rude.

With the exception of The Chophouse’s seafood platter starter, I don’t think it holds a candle to The Old Spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Had a work do there once and found the food very average. Wouldn't be far off what you'd get in a cafe.

Was that a special menu for the “do”; otherwise I can’t see any resemblance to a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have only eaten in Pitt Bros twice but didnt find it worth going back to. I think its always busy because of the location and that they do student specials.

Never tried Pitt Bros but Bison is too good to stray away from! Bison rarely packed I've found whereas Pitt Bros just looks like carnage half the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Rmgblue wrote: »
    Try the Green Hen! Not a pub but not super fancy. A good balance and really good food. Early bird is great value
    seablue wrote: »
    I second the recommendation for The Green Hen on Wicklow street. Good food and a nice atmosphere, esp this time of year (dark interior).
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    +! on Green Hen, always had nice meals there. Other options for non-fancy but good tucker might be Brother Hubbard on Capel St, Green 19 on Camden St and FX Buckleys Bull and Castle opposite Christchurch. Bison Bar on Wellington Quay also decent.

I visited The Green Hen recently (September) with a friend for lunch and while the food was delicious there wasn't much of it. Definitely worth trying but after a two course lunch I could easily have eaten the same again. The interior and atmosphere etc. is really lovely though so worth a visit just to experence it. Don't skip your breakfast in anticipation though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The pigs ear, very good food but not fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Cheers but as much as her eyes lit up when I mentioned fondant it's definitely too fancy looking and a place I feel I'd need a tie and all on.

Definitely would be looking more gastro pub.

Just on this point, and I know it's a personal thing for people but I don't think there's any restaurant in Dublin where you would need to feel you had to be wearing a tie.

I've been in loads of fancy restaurants and never wear a tie (I'm male), that attitude is well out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Just on this point, and I know it's a personal thing for people but I don't think there's any restaurant in Dublin where you would need to feel you had to be wearing a tie.

I've been in loads of fancy restaurants and never wear a tie (I'm male), that attitude is well out of date.

Agree 100% - there's no longer a connection between good food & dress code.

Advertisement