Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Group Set

Options
  • 18-11-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hello

Novice question here so apologies in advance.

One year in on my road cycling journey and id like to upgrade the Groupset on my Boardman.

Seems the most cost effective option as Im not ready for a top end bike just yet.

Currently has a Shimano Sora Groupset, have the opportunity to get a like new shimano ultegra 6800 22 speed group set at a great price.

Is it a case that I can simply buy this and get someone to fit it to my bike or do I need to investigate more whether all components will fit ?

Is it worth doing ?

Many thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What's the bike?

The main compatibility gripe would be the bottom bracket if any at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's debatable if the groupset is the best place to start with upgrading - perhaps wheels could be a place to start?
    though a cheap ultegra groupset is tempting obviously.

what gearing does the current bike have? can the rear wheel take an 11 speed cassette?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sora to new ultegra is a massive upgrade. End of story. If it's a good price and you have the beans then definitely go for it.

(Unless the boardman frame is a very cheap entry level one)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Thanks all.

Ill bring it down to the LBS before I buy it just to make sure its OK given the points above.

If it will fit given the price ill go for it.

Buying new a 6800 group set is going to set you back 500ish , bit more for the newer r8000. Those are online prices add more for the LBS plus labour to fit it if you are not doing it yourself or for the tools needed if you are.

I'd say new bike now with a 105 groupset and maybe disc breaks would be a better investment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP seemed to suggest it's a secondhand groupset. well, that's what i took from the 'like new' description.

I bought a Sora equipped bike for 600 quid plus lights clothes lock etc on the bike to work scheme. It was a great place to start.

I upgraded to 105 earlier this year buying second hand stuff for a cost of about €400. For me, it was definitely the right thing to do.

Two things to note, what thread is the bottom bracket, I was lucky and could simply fit an English threaded Shimano one, the other was the brakes. My bike is designed to take mudguards so I’m stuck with the OEM brakes, but that is relatively minor in my book.

I added a rediculously good pair of secondhand fulcrum wheels and I now have a 9kg bike that I love. The only problem is my next bike is going to have to be a €2k bike to make a notable difference.

The difference between the bike I first bought and the one I have now is night and day, so if you can do it, I’d say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Aegir wrote: »
    I bought a Sora equipped bike for 600 quid plus lights clothes lock etc on the bike to work scheme. It was a great place to start.

I upgraded to 105 earlier this year buying second hand stuff for a cost of about €400. For me, it was definitely the right thing to do.

Two things to note, what thread is the bottom bracket, I was lucky and could simply fit an English threaded Shimano one, the other was the brakes. My bike is designed to take mudguards so I’m stuck with the OEM brakes, but that is relatively minor in my book.

I added a rediculously good pair of secondhand fulcrum wheels and I now have a 9kg bike that I love. The only problem is my next bike is going to have to be a €2k bike to make a notable difference.

The difference between the bike I first bought and the one I have now is night and day, so if you can do it, I’d say go for it.

Hmm... Objectively speaking you might overestimate your beloved bike.

To the Op... It might be useful if you state what bike you want to upgrade and how much you want to spend for groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

My first road bike was basic enough - it's like Triggers brush now the amount of upgrading/changing things on it I've done. The amount of money I've spent could almost have bought a new bike (which I did, eventually)

I'd think about not upgrading it, putting the shekels aside for a new bike down the line and then keeping that one for your training/winter bike

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Aegir wrote: »

Thanks for this. Yes I wouldn't do it only it's a great deal as the Ultegra was removed from a hardly used bike to upgraded. Noted on the wheels , I'm looking in to doing them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

sin_26 wrote: »
    Hmm... Objectively speaking you might overestimate your beloved bike.

To the Op... It might be useful if you state what bike you want to upgrade and how much you want to spend for groupset.

Couldn’t agree more - To the original poster, people could give you good advice if you confirmed to model of your bike and the price of the groupset

Advertisement