Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child almost snatched at Christmas market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Did you see any blood?

https://goo.gl/images/ZyqWyV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What ever happened to white van man?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is this confirmed anywhere bar Facebook?

I just always presume Facebook is falsified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

This feels very much like scaremongering... "heavy drug using African who may have HIV"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Sounds like bull

• Advertisement

Scary that Facebook is a source of news. Tabloids are even a better source

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It might be a silly question but did he report it to the Gardai or just put it on the Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ireland wins the gold medal for having the most unsuccessful child snatchers in Western Europe.
    Surely any self respecting child snatcher would know that a packed city center market is not a good hunting ground?
    *shakes head sadly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

meeeeh wrote: »
    It might be a silly question but did he report it to the Gardai or just put it on the Facebook?

According to the posts on facebook the gardai were informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sounds like a load of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I saw the Facebook post but didn’t share it. Didn’t look genuine to me, lots of ranting about two men who were non- Irish nationals. If it did happen I hope the guards are involved and that the child is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I saw the Facebook post but didn’t share it. Didn’t look genuine to me, lots of ranting about two men who were non- Irish nationals. If it did happen I hope the guards are involved and that the child is safe.

Not sure what you’re getting at but the person who is claiming this to be true is also a “non Irish national”. Does this make a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I saw the FB post too before I ever saw this thread, and it smelt very off to me. Really didn't ring true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

cant26 wrote: »
    Not sure what you’re getting at but the person who is claiming this to be true is also a “non Irish national”. Does this make a difference!

Me thinks the person who is claiming this to be true spent way too much time in the Beer Tent

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Statement from Guards on Facebook now to say the post was a hoax and the author has taken it down.

“Galway Gardaí would like to inform the public that An Garda Síochána is not investigating an alleged incident of child abduction at the Christmas Market in Eyre Square over the weekend. This is in response to a rumour of such an incident which was falsely circulated on Facebook. The author of the post has been contacted and has subsequently removed the post.”

cant26 wrote: »

The original post was very abusive to a particular nationality and I didn’t want to spread the same poisonous comments. For what it’s worth I’m a non-national myself.

Statement from Guards on Facebook now to say the post was a hoax and the author has taken it down.

“Galway Gardaould like to inform the public that An Garda Sh is not investigating an alleged incident of child abduction at the Christmas Market in Eyre Square over the weekend. This is in response to a rumour of such an incident which was falsely circulated on Facebook. The author of the post has been contacted and has subsequently removed the post.”

And that's why people shouldn't use Facebook for news. People see something on there, believe it, and then share it :rolleyes:

*I'm assuming the guards post is genuine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    *I'm assuming the guards post is genuine...

Any link? Don't see the post on the official Garda page... do they have a local page?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

boardzz wrote: »
    I walked past and witnessed this. The guy looked mentally unwell and the father was very close to knocking him out.

So what exactly happened then? Was there a scrap between 3 men and the father made up the entire allegation to cover himself?

I think at best the original FB poster should receive the necessary medical treatment they obviously need.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    Any link? Don't see the post on the official Garda page... do they have a local page?

“Galway Gardaould like to inform the public that An Garda Sh is not investigating an alleged incident of child abduction at the Christmas Market in Eyre Square over the weekend. This is in response to a rumour of such an incident which was falsely circulated on Facebook. The author of the post has been contacted and has subsequently removed the post.”

As Joe said. Have a link to the guards statement?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's reported on Galway Bay FM's news page here (though no link to the Garda statement).

Some people posting here actually want the incident to have happened.
    Just so they can prove that:
    A. Brown people are trying to snatch our children,
    B. Everything you read on Facebook is 100% true.
    Pathetic.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    As Joe said. Have a link to the guards statement?

You’ll have to put your pitchfork back in the barn. GalwayFM are highly unlikely to say the Garda have said it was a hoax unless that’s exactly what it was, are they?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Some people posting here actually want the incident to have happened.
    Just so they can prove that:
    A. Brown people are trying to snatch our children,
    B. Everything you read on Facebook is 100% true.
    Pathetic.

The original Boards poster here should learn a lesson from this too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Not sure but you could contact them here to check officially
    https://www.garda.ie/en/Contact-Us/Station-Directory/Galway-Mill-Street-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

The original post was very abusive to a particular nationality and I didn’t want to spread the same poisonous comments. For what it’s worth I’m a non-national myself.

I appreciate what you see saying but I would say his post was abusive full stop. I don’t think it had anything to do with race or non nationals, from what I read thats’s my take on it anyways. We know now it was totally false. Crazy how some people are comfortable with involving their children in such drivel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Found it on a regional Garda page that looks legit...
    https://www.facebook.com/132121904151566/posts/250412012322554/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Terrible story on BBC about a similar post on WhatsApp re: child abduction that never took place. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46145986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Morons like that should be sued by victim and taken to the cleaners. It's nasty defamation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement