Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for desktop (remote working)

Options
  • 18-11-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for some advice, I am trying to source a desktop in order to start working from home.

I need 2 monitors (around 23 or 24 inch each), standard keyboard and mouse. All cables and adapters etc. not looking to spend a fortune, I know Dell is probably the best place to go.

I'd like to get 2 monitors and be sure that both will work for me, I don't want to end up buying a desktop and 2 monitors individually only to find there is only input for 1 monitor.

Any advice would be greatly apprciate. Will be connecting to work system via VM Horizon client

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Why not get something like a Dell 17" laptop and an extra monitor ?
    If you don't have a dedicated office in your house then you may need to move around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Why not get something like a Dell 17" laptop and an extra monitor ?
    If you don't have a dedicated office in your house then you may need to move around the house.

i do have an office space and nature of job would require 2 relatively large monitors unfortunately

i am looking on the dell website and want to be mindful of buying a desktop that allows for use of 2 monitors, what should i be looking out for?
    And also, when u order a desktop on dell does it come with a monitor, keyboard and mouse included in price?

it seems when u select a desktop it then takes u to sections for each where they are all extras?

in case of monitors should i be selecting 2 monitors at that stage or will 1 already be included? the site makes it hard to bundle this stuff together

i am looking on the dell website and want to be mindful of buying a desktop that allows for use of 2 monitors, what should i be looking out for?
    And also, when u order a desktop on dell does it come with a monitor, keyboard and mouse included in price?

it seems when u select a desktop it then takes u to sections for each where they are all extras?

in case of monitors should i be selecting 2 monitors at that stage or will 1 already be included? the site makes it hard to bundle this stuff together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Most modern desktops will allow the use of two monitors via the onboard graphics. Typically this will be via one VGA cable and one HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

From your other posts i see this will mainly act as a client for remote working using VM Horizon but what are your typical work tasks, is it simple spreadsheets and databases and you want/need two monitors to increase the number of programs you can can see at one time or will you be using graphic intensive programs.

Personally when working with multiple monitors i prefer to use identical monitors with thin bezels so that size and colour are the same.

Dell typically state whether there is a monitor included on their systems so unless pictured or included in the specifications assume that you need to add the monitor.

Another personal preference of mine is to steer away from PCs designed for home use and select the business version (i.e For Dell I would choose and Optiplex over an Inspion and for HP i would select from the Pro or Elite range)

As this is from a work from home set up are you sure there is no support available from your employer to cover cost etc.

• Advertisement

cunavalos wrote: »
    Most modern desktops will allow the use of two monitors via the onboard graphics. Typically this will be via one VGA cable and one HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

From your other posts i see this will mainly act as a client for remote working using VM Horizon but what are your typical work tasks, is it simple spreadsheets and databases and you want/need two monitors to increase the number of programs you can can see at one time or will you be using graphic intensive programs.

Personally when working with multiple monitors i prefer to use identical monitors with thin bezels so that size and colour are the same.

Dell typically state whether there is a monitor included on their systems so unless pictured or included in the specifications assume that you need to add the monitor.

Another personal preference of mine is to steer away from PCs designed for home use and select the business version (i.e For Dell I would choose and Optiplex over an Inspion and for HP i would select from the Pro or Elite range)

As this is from a work from home set up are you sure there is no support available from your employer to cover cost etc.

Definately no support to cover cost unfortunately, they are not actively trying to get us to work from home, rather ive negotiated this option for myself to ease my commute.

yes ill be running different programme at the same time so 2 monitors are absolutely key

Can anyone recommend this computer and would it be suitable for my needs?

https://www.compu-zone.ie/dell-optiplex-dual-screen-desktop-pc-dual-core-windows-10-professional.html

Another thing I forgot to mention is that i'd be looking for the desktop to be able to connect to wifi. The office space will be upstairs and the modem/router from Virgin media is downstairs.

There does seem to be an option on above link to add wifi capability but is it as simple as that? Is there anything else I would need?

Cheers for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Personally I would stay away from the PC linked, it is over 10 years old and very basic components.

Both monitors are fairly small (I think you initially mentioned looking for 2x24" monitors)

For your internet issues and because you are relying on constant connection to your workplace i would consider powerline adapters and connect via ethernet cable
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BD9TFI4?tag=22

Personally I would stay away from the PC linked, it is over 10 years old and very basic components.

Both monitors are fairly small (I think you initially mentioned looking for 2x24" monitors)

For your internet issues and because you are relying on constant connection to your workplace i would consider powerline adapters and connect via ethernet cable

the problem i am going to have is that the router cannot be moved and there simply wont be any space for me to set up computer beside where the connection is. i can only set up computer upstairs.

we are lucky the virgin media internet is top quality and fast. what do you mean by powerline adapters and ethernet cables can this be done when computer is in different room?

i can get 19inch monitors they will do the job, or even upgrade to 22inch on other deals, the machine will simply be a host machine ill be connecting to work machine by VMware horizon client, does the age and spec of machine matter? theres 12 month warranty im looking to keep cost down

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Blanco100 wrote: »
    the problem i am going to have is that the router cannot be moved and there simply wont be any space for me to set up computer beside where the connection is. i can only set up computer upstairs.

we are lucky the virgin media internet is top quality and fast. what do you mean by powerline adapters and ethernet cables can this be done when computer is in different room?

i can get 19inch monitors they will do the job, or even upgrade to 22inch on other deals, the machine will simply be a host machine ill be connecting to work machine by VMware horizon client, does the age and spec of machine matter? theres 12 month warranty im looking to keep cost down

Powerline adapters allow you to extend your network to any room, one device plugs into the power socket close to your router and Ethernet cable connects to your router, the second device plugs in to the location you want the PC and then Ethernet cable to connect to the PC - they use your house electric circuit to extend the connection

• Advertisement

I have the 24” version of this setup connected to a docking system that I can quickly hook my surface pro into or throw in a bag to go on site

https://www.adverts.ie/16757689

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Rough budget?

apologies, was looking to spend between 250-300 all in. less if possible.

The_Chap wrote: »
    I have the 24” version of this setup connected to a docking system that I can quickly hook my surface pro into or throw in a bag to go on site

https://www.adverts.ie/16757689

im looking for desktop aswell yours is out of my budget im afraid.

Powerline adapters allow you to extend your network to any room, one device plugs into the power socket close to your router and Ethernet cable connects to your router, the second device plugs in to the location you want the PC and then Ethernet cable to connect to the PC - they use your house electric circuit to extend the connection

thanks for the info. and going on what I need is the computer in that link really bad? theres 12 month warranty aswell

thanks for the info. and going on what I need is the computer in that link really bad? theres 12 month warranty aswell

It’s all relative to your computing needs really, that one you linked as previous said is conservatively a 10 year old model

https://www.compu-zone.ie/dell-optiplex-790-22-inch-dual-screen-desktop-pc-core-i5-2400-3-1ghz-4gb-windows-10.html

This would be a better buy for the extra, even still they are still refurbished older models

Can your work not provide a setup for you? There is no benefit in kind for computer equipment provided, including furniture

Edit: sorry didn’t see the last question had been covered

• Registered Users Posts: 68,867 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have the powerline setup and it works a treat for me, with fairly intensive graphic work.

I also buy my computers from these guys www.greenit.ie
    Brilliant service imo and very reasonably priced. No connection to the company.

apologies, was looking to spend between 250-300 all in. less if possible.

Best bet is an old workstation. Something like a HP / Dell. They have several displayports for screens You can get off eBay etc 150 should get you a 4770/16gb machine (don't really go much lower spec wise) which will easily hold itself up. Buy a cheap SSD in sales ATM will make it fly.

Then that gives you 150 euros for 2x 24" monitors. Chose a dell on adverts and you'll be grand.

Did the same recently for a relative and it flies along, does everything that is needed and more and is tiny (SFF) and quiet. Tremendous value for money.

Corb_lund wrote: »
    Best bet is an old workstation. Something like a HP / Dell. They have several displayports for screens You can get off eBay etc 150 should get you a 4770/16gb machine (don't really go much lower spec wise) which will easily hold itself up. Buy a cheap SSD in sales ATM will make it fly.

Then that gives you 150 euros for 2x 24" monitors. Chose a dell on adverts and you'll be grand.

Did the same recently for a relative and it flies along, does everything that is needed and more and is tiny (SFF) and quiet. Tremendous value for money.

id honestly be looking for an all inclusive kinda thing. not very tech savvy, and ill only be working 1 or 2 days from home max to be honest. I did mention ill be connecting via VM horizon client so ill be connecting to my work machines server.

would something more basic do? id have no idea about upgrading graphics cards etc.. id ideally like to order something refurbished thats ready to go

id honestly be looking for an all inclusive kinda thing. not very tech savvy, and ill only be working 1 or 2 days from home max to be honest. I did mention ill be connecting via VM horizon client so ill be connecting to my work machines server.

would something more basic do? id have no idea about upgrading graphics cards etc.. id ideally like to order something refurbished thats ready to go

It is all inclusive. You just want a new HDD for data security..

You don't want or need a graphics card hence having inbuilt displayports etc.

Tbh if you're not happy doing the basic **** I'd say you'd be wanting work to get involved...

• Advertisement

Corb_lund wrote: »
    It is all inclusive. You just want a new HDD for data security..

You don't want or need a graphics card hence having inbuilt displayports etc.

Tbh if you're not happy doing the basic **** I'd say you'd be wanting work to get involved...

im just not good at trying to find what I am looking for to be honest.

SSD and it flies along, I don't even know what that is to be honest ,and thats being completely truthful. I do really appreciate all the help though, I need all I can get!

Work won't get involved, they are the ones doing me the favour giving me time from home, its something I requested and not on offer for everyone so it will most definately be at my own cost

I have been told by the IT guys that I will only need a basic enough machine though

Bloody hell thought they were a good deal, bundled them with 2 ethernet cables and comes to £35.

When you add delivery the price doubles!

Can these be bought at a good price in-store anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

i do have an office space and nature of job would require 2 relatively large monitors unfortunately

This does not preclude a laptop, perhaps with a docking station, then you have have the two large monitors, mouse and keyboard connected into the docking station, and if you need to, you can also take the laptop for a "journey" on occasion.

Bloody hell thought they were a good deal, bundled them with 2 ethernet cables and comes to £35.

When you add delivery the price doubles!

Can these be bought at a good price in-store anywhere in Ireland?

I contacted Green IT gave them a rundown of what I needed and they advised this

https://www.greenit.ie/product/hp-compaq-8300-elite-sff-core-i5-4gb-250gb-hd/

They also said id need to add a wifi dongle (what does this do?)

Is this computer any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,867 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I contacted Green IT gave them a rundown of what I needed and they advised this

https://www.greenit.ie/product/hp-compaq-8300-elite-sff-core-i5-4gb-250gb-hd/

They also said id need to add a wifi dongle (what does this do?)

Is this computer any good?

Wifi dongle is just a device to pick up the wifi signal from your router. If you can run an ethernet cable directly from your router it is the better to do that.
    I replaced one of my workshop computers with the exact model just last week.

Good fast machine with no issues. But others can advise better on whether it will meet your needs.

Wifi dongle is just a device to pick up the wifi signal from your router. If you can run an ethernet cable directly from your router it is the better to do that.
    I replaced one of my workshop computers with the exact model just last week.

Good fast machine with no issues. But others can advise better on whether it will meet your needs.

whats your opinion on this one?

https://www.compu-zone.ie/dell-optiplex-790-22-inch-dual-screen-desktop-pc-core-i5-2400-3-1ghz-4gb-windows-10.html

Green IT linked PC is better spec, but you need to add monitors to the price and also you will need to check with your IT people if you will need the “Pro” version of Windows 10 as I see the price only includes the Home version

I spoke with IT today and they are adamant that I will only need the most basic of systems, capable of running VMware horizon client

Green IT linked PC is better spec, but you need to add monitors to the price and also you will need to check with your IT people if you will need the “Pro” version of Windows 10 as I see the price only includes the Home version

correct me if im wrong, i wont need pro windows 10 on my machine, once I access horizon client with my logins it will give me all the programs and software I have on my work machine.

Ill be able to access it even if its not physically on my computer.

Having spoken with IT in work today they seem adamant that a high spec desktop isnt needed, just an ability to run horizon client.

Does this open up my options more or is there anything else to be wary of?

• Advertisement

correct me if im wrong, i wont need pro windows 10 on my machine, once I access horizon client with my logins it will give me all the programs and software I have on my work machine.

Ill be able to access it even if its not physically on my computer.

Having spoken with IT in work today they seem adamant that a high spec desktop isnt needed, just an ability to run horizon client.

Does this open up my options more or is there anything else to be wary of?

If they say you just need a low spec machine then just pick the best you can afford out of all the options linked with all the monitors you need and a WiFi card or the powerline plugs, you can get those in any Harvey Norman or Curry’s

You should be good to go then

Advertisement