Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Assistant work in London

• 18-11-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

I graduated a couple of years ago with a degree in English & History and have been struggling to find work.

Had a conversation over the phone with a company called Prespero Teaching regarding Teaching Assistant work, thinking of going on for teaching but figure some experience of the classroom would be best and fancy going to London for a bit if I can preferably north London.

Has anyone here had any dealings with this company before, anyone here do TA in English work in England and would it be worth it?

Should add I was living and working in the UK before in Manchester and tried to get similar work, had some interviews but they seemed to be for more experienced positions in this field and the demand for graduates working as TA's seems to be higher South.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated , thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

Hi there,

To be honest, the English Education System is a bit of a minefield as it is very different to home. For TA work, you would probably need to do some sort of a course over here. Otherwise, it's a case of really "who you know". But, as the Education System is so different over here, it is a nicer gig to get used to how schools work over here.

Another thing you can do is become a cover supervisor. You monitor students when their regular teacher is out. Basically, once you have your DBS check (Police clearance) The likes of prospero or different agencies will look to snap you up. Bear in mind,i you can get about £50 a day and work may not always be regular. I am based in the East Midlands (Nottingham area), so that is the minimum going rate if you are not teaching. I am Irish but trained over here as a teacher as I got a £25k bursary. When you teach, you can get £115 a day if you are teaching your subject. I also drive as well over here so that makes it very easy to get work.

I know your situation. I moved as there wasn't much at home and they are crying out for teachers here, but bear in mind, there is a reason as the system can be rough (particularly until you get a school that suits you and is decent- cover supervisor is giving me the chance to make connections).

You can also book multiple school experience days for your subjects here. Just put in different postcodes for areas you think you would like to work in. I used a friend's when I was still living in Ireland and that can perhaps give you an idea of what it's like. Though, maybe boook a few different placements, if possible, to get an idea if you'll like it.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/school-experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Hi there,

To be honest, the English Education System is a bit of a minefield as it is very different to home. For TA work, you would probably need to do some sort of a course over here. Otherwise, it's a case of really "who you know". But, as the Education System is so different over here, it is a nicer gig to get used to how schools work over here.

Another thing you can do is become a cover supervisor. You monitor students when their regular teacher is out. Basically, once you have your DBS check (Police clearance) The likes of prospero or different agencies will look to snap you up. Bear in mind,i you can get about £50 a day and work may not always be regular. I am based in the East Midlands (Nottingham area), so that is the minimum going rate if you are not teaching. I am Irish but trained over here as a teacher as I got a £25k bursary. When you teach, you can get £115 a day if you are teaching your subject. I also drive as well over here so that makes it very easy to get work.

I know your situation. I moved as there wasn't much at home and they are crying out for teachers here, but bear in mind, there is a reason as the system can be rough (particularly until you get a school that suits you and is decent- cover supervisor is giving me the chance to make connections).

You can also book multiple school experience days for your subjects here. Just put in different postcodes for areas you think you would like to work in. I used a friend's when I was still living in Ireland and that can perhaps give you an idea of what it's like. Though, maybe boook a few different placements, if possible, to get an idea if you'll like it.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/school-experience

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I got an interview for a cover supervisor position pretty much straight away for a place outside of Liverpool when I was over there, but lost out to someone with experience.

I haven't heard back from Prospero nice late Nov, so possibly the summer might be the best time to look again or maybe when they have vacancies again?

Would you recommend Prospero or are there better agencies? reviews for them seem something of a mixed bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I got an interview for a cover supervisor position pretty much straight away for a place outside of Liverpool when I was over there, but lost out to someone with experience.

Yeah unfortunately, experience counts. Also, who you know.
    I haven't heard back from Prospero nice late Nov, so possibly the summer might be the best time to look again or maybe when they have vacancies again?

To be honest, the agencies only want to deal with you if you are over here and willing to work at short notice. I am lucky I bought a car for under a grand and drive over here. If you want to do it, it's best to bite the bullet and move over. Though, bear in mind London Prices. Would you consider other cities like Nottingham..though it's the area I am in so I am biased.
    Would you recommend Prospero or are there better agencies? reviews for them seem something of a mixed bag.

To be honest, all the agencies are much of a muchness. At the end of the day, they are trying to make money and they make money for getting you into a role, even if it means "bending" the truth. Just be warned if you hear "outstanding" overused, walk away. There is never really a guarantee that a school will be for you, even if they advertise on TES. Granted some schools need agencies as they do struggle to get staff as teaching is challenging, but sometimes you can use the agency work to your advantage. I recently left an NQT role I hated that I got through an agency and I was able to leave with two weeks notice and move on. I work with the Classroom Partnership who I find pretty good and decent here in their Midlands office (they have an office in London too). PK Education is another but they are mainly based in East Midlands/Yorkshire. I'd go for the smaller agencies, not the big ones like Hays; Vision for Education; Ranstad...I find the smaller ones are a bit easier. But also, being a bit out of the main cities puts you more of an advantage, I am finding.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yeah unfortunately, experience counts. Also, who you know.

To be honest, the agencies only want to deal with you if you are over here and willing to work at short notice. I am lucky I bought a car for under a grand and drive over here. If you want to do it, it's best to bite the bullet and move over. Though, bear in mind London Prices. Would you consider other cities like Nottingham..though it's the area I am in so I am biased.

To be honest, all the agencies are much of a muchness. At the end of the day, they are trying to make money and they make money for getting you into a role, even if it means "bending" the truth. Just be warned if you hear "outstanding" overused, walk away.I work with the Classroom Partnership who I find pretty good (they have an office in London). PK Education is another but they are mainly based in East Midlands. I'd go for the smaller agencies, not the big ones like Hays; Vision for Education; Ranstad...I find the smaller ones are a bit easier.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

I'll see in the new year I suppose

Thanks for your advice though, appreciated.

Advertisement