Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your rent as a % of earnings and euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My mortgage is 18%. If I rented it would be 45% if the house beside me is anything to go by.

About 21% of net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mike9832 wrote: »
    0%

Bought house for cash

In hindsight should have kept renting or taken a mortgage

Cash is king
    Why? You must have saved a lot of money on mortgage interest/rent

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dulachodladh

43% of my net income. Any savings I’ve made towards saving for a mortgage have ended up being for rainy days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Dublin. Low income workers. 45% of my net. My partners wages fluctuate monthly so their contribution varies but probably the same on average. Sucks as stuck in a restricted limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

19% of family NETT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

bunderoon wrote: »
    mkdon wrote: »
    sounds like most are either paying hella low rent or on hella lot of mooolah

4 bed bungalow on 1.5 acres in Mayo.
    <90k left on Mortgage. On 5 year fixed at the moment.
    In year 5 of a 30 year term.

I know some have to, but I couldn't imagine living up in Dublin and being a slave to that kind of debt.
    Work to live, not live to work.
    Slave? Lots of people living in Dublin pay the same salary percentage as others around the country. The salaries are higher too. Not saying it is everyone but you are suggesting everyone in Dublin is a slave to a mortgage. Just isn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

23% of my net.

However, this is just half of the rent. If I was to rent on my own, it would be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Slave? Lots of people living in Dublin pay the same salary percentage as others around the country. The salaries are higher too. Not saying it is everyone but you are suggesting everyone in Dublin is a slave to a mortgage. Just isn't true

The salaries are larger but so is the cost of rent and price of houses.

A 3 bed semi in Dublin is ~350k. 150-170K for the same outside Dublin and it's catchment area.

You borrow @3-4%; for 350K, you are talking about over half a million for a 3 bed semi. You read all the time that after rent or mortgages and living expenses, that people have no money to save or spend on luxuries. I didn't mean 'slave' in a derogatory term, more of way to describe the hardship that is endured to live close to our main city.
    And of course, not everyone is in this position, but this thread isn't referring to very well off people or those who have a house in Dublin for the last 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Your name is on the deeds therefore you own it simple as that, the fact a bank can repossess it to sell to cover a mortgage that’s secured against it is irrelevant. They do not own it.

If I have a house with no mortgage and use it as security for a loan are you claiming I would not own the house? The bank could sell it to reclaim the loan after all.

And where are the deeds?

Oh yea that's right, they're kept by the bank until you make the final payment on your mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

About 7-8% , that said my house was built in the 1700s , has no heating and I share with 3 others.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Touchee wrote: »
    23% of my net.

However, this is just half of the rent. If I was to rent on my own, it would be much higher.

exact same situation and %.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

My salary is similar enough to Dublin salaries for the same role. The cost of my house and my rent when I paid it was far less than the equivalent in Dublin - less than half the cost of a similar house and less than a third of the rent when I was paying it (though it was below market rate). So overall I save greatly by not living in Dublin. The quality of life is better too. Dublin is overcrowded and that affects the quality of life for people there, especially wrt getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

About 30% for 1 bed Apt. Moved in about 4 years ago and it was more like 40% back then but my rent remains unchanged and my wages are slowly increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

28% for my half of the two bed apartment I rent

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

0% on two bed D7. Fiance inherited it recently, having lived there for two years.

Leaving Ireland soon and the rent from it will cover our new rent and leave her with €600 profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

14% of net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

45% and rent going up by 4% year on year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

bunderoon wrote: »

The salaries are larger but so is the cost of rent and price of houses.

A 3 bed semi in Dublin is ~350k. 150-170K for the same outside Dublin and it's catchment area.

You borrow @3-4%; for 350K, you are talking about over half a million for a 3 bed semi. You read all the time that after rent or mortgages and living expenses, that people have no money to save or spend on luxuries. I didn't mean 'slave' in a derogatory term, more of way to describe the hardship that is endured to live close to our main city.
    And of course, not everyone is in this position, but this thread isn't referring to very well off people or those who have a house in Dublin for the last 40 years.
    You do get I said people are paying the same percentage of their salaries? This is not just wealthy people. You go to a forum where people that have no issue don't visit. Like going to a fox hunt and be surprised everyone is pro fox hunting.
    I work with lots of people of different ages and they aren't struggling.
    There are many jobs that really only exist in Dublin or there is enough competition that salaries are higher and raise quicker.I could move to a more rural area and depend on one employer. If anything happens to that company then you are unemployed and have to commute to your new job or move.
    Go rural/out side the capital if that suits but has sever limitations too. Lack of employment and salary is a big thing. Prices of goods are cheaper in Dublin due to competition and options. Entertainment options are better as are care/hospital facilities. Then there is the cost of running a car which will cost more if used more. We have one car and rarely use it. Plus our commutes are under 30 minutes. Strokes for folks but don't believe the hype that it is difficult to live and work in Dublin. It isn't even close to many other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You do get I said people are paying the same percentage of their salaries? This is not just wealthy people. You go to a forum where people that have no issue don't visit. Like going to a fox hunt and be surprised everyone is pro fox hunting.
    I work with lots of people of different ages and they aren't struggling.
    There are many jobs that really only exist in Dublin or there is enough competition that salaries are higher and raise quicker.I could move to a more rural area and depend on one employer. If anything happens to that company then you are unemployed and have to commute to your new job or move.
    Go rural/out side the capital if that suits but has sever limitations too. Lack of employment and salary is a big thing. Prices of goods are cheaper in Dublin due to competition and options. Entertainment options are better as are care/hospital facilities. Then there is the cost of running a car which will cost more if used more. We have one car and rarely use it. Plus our commutes are under 30 minutes. Strokes for folks but don't believe the hype that it is difficult to live and work in Dublin. It isn't even close to many other cities.

Here here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

About 7% of Net living in a houseshare in Kildare with 4 others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Renting a room in a 6 bed house and rent is 20% of net.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

where you off to ? 600 profit? how u estimate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

mkdon wrote: »
    where you off to ? 600 profit? how u estimate that?

UK. The place here will be rented for €2000/m and just got the keys to our house today, rent is £850/m. €600 is probably conservative, she'll be a full time student in the UK with no other source of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Based on our joint net take home pay about 14%. It is 2.5 years into 35 year mortgage though and currently no overpayments. Original rate was 4 3% and now 2.6%. We were moving back to Cork before we had jobs fully sorted there so only wanted to borrow 2x our Dublin salaries. Got lucky though and retained salaries moving down. Might move again but not sure I can face it. Must look into overpaying as lot on here seem to be doing that.

Advertisement