Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up pension when your company doesn't have a pension scheme.

• 18-11-2018 8:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

I currently work for a company which has a pension scheme, I pay 5% into my pension every week (the max I can for my age, 27) and I am not taxed on that contribution when putting it in.

I am looking at another job which does not have a workplace pension scheme, because the place doesn't have a pension scheme, does that mean I won't be able to put that 5% in tax free every week?

Will I have to take all my net salary after tax each month and then put it in> Or can you still avail of the tax relief if you pay in yourself?

Thanks, folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

You can set up your own Personal Pension or Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA). You will pay the full amount from your bank account by Direct Debit. But you get the same tax relief. You will get a tax certificate with your policy document and you send this to Revenue and ask them to increase your tax credits. Yours tax credits go up and so your take-home pay also goes up, by the amount of your tax relief.

So you get the same tax relief as you do now - you just have to apply for it.

As an aside, there's a legal obligation on all employers to offer you access to some for of pension arrangement once you have worked there for six months. They don't have to contribute, but if you decide to contribute they must operate salary deduction for you through payroll - like what you have in your current job. That said, I am aware that some employers just don't do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just shop around for PRSAs. Some will screw you on administrating charges and contribution fee... find out both.

I've nothing to do with the company but I read a few recommendations for LAbrokers for low fees. He'll send you the forms but give zero advice (unless you pay for the advice).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just shop around for PRSAs. Some will screw you on administrating charges and contribution fee... find out both.

I've nothing to do with the company but I read a few recommendations for LAbrokers for low fees. He'll send you the forms but give zero advice (unless you pay for the advice).

Good advice is always well worth paying for imho.

p.s. I'd favour a PPP over a PRSA due to wider investment options. PRSA's are quite restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just shop around for PRSAs.

Why would a PRSA be better than a standard personal pension?

Advertisement