Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding tumours in meat (apologies in advance!)

Options
  • 18-11-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I bought a leg of lamb a few days ago, and cooked it today. While cutting it, greeny grey stuff oozed out of the middle. I quickly realized (and Google seems to confirm) that it is more than likely a tumour or cyst in the meat.

It turned my stomach and I will be contacting the shop tomorrow to let them know. Has this happened to anyone else or is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 midlandor

After some further reading, it seems like it might be an abscess (not a tumour or cyst), but sounds like it doesn't or shouldn't happen very frequently.

http://momatthemeatcounter.blogspot.com/2017/11/abscesses-its-not-tumor.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What did the shop say/do?

Rang them today. Their head butcher said it sounds like an abscess alright. Said they are almost impossible to see when inside a big piece of meat. Said it probably happened due to (a) the animal getting an injection from a needle that wasn't sterilised properly, or (b) the animal got an injury to that area and a subsequent infection from that injury.

They said they will refund the price of the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good to know, Id never heard of a piece of meat having an abscess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

One of those things unfortunately and it’s impossible for butcher to know beforehand. Has happened to me before with lamb as well.
    Not nice and it will taint the meat when it bursts ....
    I used to work part time in a meat factory and they would be a regular enough thing to see.

• Advertisement

Thanks harr.

I've started looking at meat a little differently. Really makes me wonder if I should ever eat sausages and minced meat again (after what I read in the last 2 days).

I think I will start mincing my own beef again (I used to do this, but I've gotten lazy)...

midlandor wrote: »
    Thanks harr.

I've started looking at meat a little differently. Really makes me wonder if I should ever eat sausages and minced meat again (after what I read in the last 2 days).

I think I will start mincing my own beef again (I used to do this, but I've gotten lazy)...

Ask your local butcher for some stewing beef preferably shin beef and then just ask him/her to mince it for you.
    I have worked in the food industry for a good number of years and the one thing that pissed me off was the number of times a supermarket will put mince through the mincer to make it look leaner.
    Saying all that you do need a certain amount of fat for a good tasting mince, anything to lean lacks flavour in my opinion.
    Pork and Poultry I am fussy enough about and try to go free range where I can. ( not supermarket free range )

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Jesus. This is grim reading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nut roast it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Got one in a chicken I bought from Tesco years ago. I cooked it and the ooze came out when cutting. Got refund plus a voucher for a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's threads like this that could turn a person vegan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ehhhhhhhhhh........

Na. I could tuck into a lovely plate of tender juicy lamb while watch a looped video of what the op described, sitting in an abattoir watching the slaughter aand listening to the bleats of panic.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Indeed yes! NB I almost never eat meat anyways .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

midlandor wrote: »
    I bought a leg of lamb a few days ago, and cooked it today. While cutting it, greeny grey stuff oozed out of the middle. I quickly realized (and Google seems to confirm) that it is more than likely a tumour or cyst in the meat.

It turned my stomach and I will be contacting the shop tomorrow to let them know. Has this happened to anyone else or is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

I don't eat meat every day, but I am thinking of not eating meat any day after reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If its in a leg of lamb, then its almost certinly not from an injection.
    Nobody injects a sheep in the leg/hip, for that very reason.
    95% of the time it is administered to the neck.
    Not sure what you'd be injecting a lamb for anyway, everything they get (worm doses or sometimes a drench of cobalt if they are deficient) is oral.
    Wont be a tumour either, nothing gets a tumour in 16 weeks of life.
    Could very likely be from a jag of a piece of fencing wire, or less likely a jag of a blackthorn thorn.
    A fox usually grabs them by the neck, I've seen a lamb or two ( in 20 years keeping sheep) with an abcess each side of their neckfrom the foxes teeth.
    Very rare to see that, though, because the fox seldom looses his catch, and the only evidence is a ewe with onlyone lamb in the morning instead of twins.

It was a abscess or cyst in the leg it can happen in any animal or humans.
    Similar to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

In all my meat eating years I never saw anything like the picture posted. I do remember finding "tubes" in my lamb before which I guess were veins or arteries. This was nasty. Chicken is another one where you can get the odd vein ..

Advertisement