Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Re the exit polls in Holland: wouldn’t more divisive parties tend to do worse in exit polls particularly if there taken in a public place?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

Do not dump lol videos here please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are exit polls accurate these days? The pre-election polls certainly are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are exit polls accurate these days? The pre-election polls certainly are not.

Generally have a much higher confidence than pre election polls. You're asking people who actually voted for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Ming.1 Carthy.2 McHugh.3 Brennan.4 for me this morning left the rest blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I genuinely can't fathom why people vote for Ming, is it a protest vote thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Stephen15 wrote: »
    For me it will be

1. Gemma O'Doherty
    2. Ben Gilroy
    3. Herman Kelly

Make sure the chemtrails don't get you on your way to the polling station. Are you happy about how Hermann is being funded by UK Nazis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I voted for Malcolm Byrne in Ireland south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I won't be voting for him myself as he is not in my region but I do think he is hard working.
    I don't agree with his view of the EU being a federal project but I think he is motivated to represent his constituents as well as he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I won't be voting for him myself as he is not in my region but I do think he is hard working.
    I don't agree with his view of the EU being a federal project but I think he is motivated to represent his constituents as well as he can.

Is it even contentious to say the EU is a Federal project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Make sure the chemtrails don't get you on your way to the polling station. Are you happy about how Hermann is being funded by UK Nazis?

I do love the irony of Gilroy a devout Freeman going up for election, not to mention his attempt to force RTE to let him into the debate by using the court system which as a freeman he would normally claim as any ruling from our courts as being illegitimate.

Danzy wrote: »
    Is it even contentious to say the EU is a Federal project.
    Of course it is - there is absolutely zero intent on the part of any Member State to cede its sovereignty to the EU as a federal state. It's completely unrealistic to believe that Germany or France are remotely interested in the other country being in charge of the other's nation, let alone the more loony states like Italy, Greece or Spain having a say in what Germany/France do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He would be considered one of the more capable and hardworking Meps from here in the last few EU parliaments by Meps there.

Danzy wrote: »
    He would be considered one of the more capable and hardworking Meps from here in the last few EU parliaments by Meps there.
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I voted for him. He got #2 after Harkin last time out. I don't agree with all of his views but I find him the best for my agenda by a significant distance.

I am in agriculture, in this state 80% of the CAP funding used to go to 20% of the farmers, thanks to a wide coalition of people including Ming, this is slowly changing.

He, along with Harkin (who endorsed him and voted #1 for Ming), broke the firewall between citizens and decision makers in Brussels that others were happy to erect so as to restrict and fudge access to information.

Indirectly, through a role I used to have in ag, I have much experience of Ming. I find him honest and hard working, with a genuine interest in (there's no un-twee way of saying this) ordinary and disadvantaged people.

He's quite intelligent and creative in solution building.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blanch152 wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something, or maybe Wikipedia is wrong, but......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_European_Parliament_election_in_Ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Irish_local_elections

FG got 22.28% in the 2014 European elections
    FG got 24% in the 2014 local elections.

I am confused as to how you conclue that they had a very good European election whereas their local elections were a bit of a disaster. To me, neither vote was very good, but the locals were significantly better than the Euros, which is the opposite of your post.

Politics is all about seats, so perhaps your confusion is not seeing the woods for the trees here.

2014 FG entered the European election with 4 seats out of 12 and ended the day with the same, 4 seats. But this time out of 11.

On the same day FG entered the local elections (where the number of seats had increased from 883 seats in 2009 to 949) with 340 seats and ended the day with 235. A loss of 105 seats where the number of seats available was greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

VinLieger wrote: »
    I do love the irony of Gilroy a devout Freeman going up for election, not to mention his attempt to force RTE to let him into the debate by using the court system which as a freeman he would normally claim as any ruling from our courts as being illegitimate.
    More important question; can this miserable excuse for a man actually hurl? The hurl in his (self)promotional videos looks brand new. Is the hurl just an affectation/prop? The hurl certainly doesn't look like it rests easy in hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Rossie11

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Ming.1 Carthy.2 McHugh.3 Brennan.4 for me this morning left the rest blank

Similar and left the rest blank

1. Ming
    2. McHugh
    3. Brennan
    4. Carthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1) Casey
    Left the rest blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

1) Casey
    Left the rest blank.

Yep, I think Casey will get a fair number of those. Without transfers, no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Indeed. I forgot he was on the ballot paper!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'll get voting for him because he voted against restricting freedom on the internet. I won't be voting for Mairead McGuiness because she voted to restrict freedom in the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

1/ Ming
    2/ Carthy
    3/ Casey
    4/ McHugh

Only planned voting for the first 2 but in the box decided to scribble down a 3rd and 4th. Was hard going, fair play to anyone who fills every preference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yep, I think Casey will get a fair number of those. Without transfers, no chance.

He got a huge amount of 2s to michael d voters last time around , make no mistake, what the man says resonates in rural ireland and he’s not playing with liberal dublin, i reckon he’ll steal the 4th seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,189 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He got a huge amount of 2s to michael d voters last time around

There was only one count, so nobody knows who got Michael D's no.2s.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Reckon McHugh has a shot, my old man voted for her. As far from a Green party voter as you'd get. Brendan Smith won't do well IMO.

what the man says resonates in rural ireland and he’s not playing with liberal dublin, i reckon he’ll steal the 4th seat.

Ming and Carthy will hoover up that rural anti establishment vote, and they won't have a big surplus to throw his way.

He'll need transfers from the Greens (ha!), FF (nope), Solidarity (why not, they're mad), Renua (maybe, a bit fascist), and the whole crowd of loonie Independents (yes, probably).

So it's doable, but no, I don't think he'll do it.

He'll get a certain number of first preferences from protest voters like yourself, and then see people pass him as the votes transfer, but not to him.

Finish 6th I'd say.

There was only one count, so nobody knows who got Michael D's no.2s.
    It's an urban myth.

Ming and Carthy will hoover up that rural anti establishment vote, and they won't have a big surplus to throw his way.

He'll need transfers from the Greens (ha!), FF (nope), Solidarity (why not, they're mad), Renua (maybe, a bit fascist), and the whole crowd of loonie Independents (yes, probably).

So it's doable, but no, I don't think he'll do it.

He'll get a certain number of first preferences from protest voters like yourself, and then see people pass him as the votes transfer, but not to him.

Finish 6th I'd say.
    You left out Dom. He could get 3% or so on FPVs and they won't go his way either.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    You left out Dom. He could get 3% or so on FPVs and they won't go his way either.

I actually forgot Dom while voting, too. I gave up in despair after 8 candidates, I think Ming got #8.

Advertisement