Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I have no idea who most of the people on the ballot for the South are.
    Voted O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I actually forgot Dom while voting, too. I gave up in despair after 8 candidates, I think Ming got #8.
    By the time I got to the end of the local list I couldn't remember my own name! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's an urban myth.

It most likely is, but then there may be something to it.

The presidential count would have been monitored by tallymen/women I imagine, and it would have been a very simple matter for them to see where 2nd preferences were going.

Personally I cannot see him getting elected, but he could be in there long enough that his 2nd preferences will determine who gets the last seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rabitte
    Ming
    Casey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll ramble over to vote in the locals later on but I can't see meself voting for anyone in the Euros, piss poor. I might throw that headbanger gilroy a vote just for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just for those who haven't voted yet! Best of luck with them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0524/1051426-ballot-papers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 OneEyedORourke

1) McHugh
    2) Ming
    3) O'Connor
    4) Carthy
    5) Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

charlie14 wrote: »
    It most likely is, but then there may be something to it.

The presidential count would have been monitored by tallymen/women I imagine, and it would have been a very simple matter for them to see where 2nd preferences were going.

Personally I cannot see him getting elected, but he could be in there long enough that his 2nd preferences will determine who gets the last seat.

Could well be confirmation bias from those looking for it then expanded via Chinese whispers. Maybe it is true. Maybe it is not but I see no reason to give it any credence.

We will see how transfer friendly he is in the next few days. Smart money seems to be Ming, SF and 2 Fg (second Fg taking the 4th seat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 OneEyedORourke

Christy42 wrote: »
    We will see how transfer friendly he is in the next few days. Smart money seems to be Ming, SF and 2 Fg (second Fg taking the 4th seat).

I really hope Maria Walsh doesn't get the final seat. She was terrible in debates and looks completely out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I really hope Maria Walsh doesn't get the final seat. She was terrible in debates and looks completely out of her depth.

She looks bright enough that she will stay quiet and toe the party line when in Europe. Maybe she will gain experience but I doubt she will make us look bad. I have not looked closely enough to see who would be better (I am voting in Dublin and spent more time looking at them).

Generally I am using Fine Gael as a safety net. They are not my favourite candidates but they get numbers to ensure my vote goes against someone I really want to avoid.

Anyway I would have her as favourite for the 4th seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What time do polls close and we get the exit poll? 10pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Local and Euro no 1s I voted Greens here in Dublin, and went down to 5 on each anybody but FF/FG

Christy42 wrote: »
    Could well be confirmation bias from those looking for it then expanded via Chinese whispers. Maybe it is true. Maybe it is not but I see no reason to give it any credence.

I may be wrong, but i don`t beleive he is particularly transfer friendly in this one. I can see it FG, Ming, SF, and between FF and FG for the last, or even a three corner fight for the last two between SF, FF and FG.
    For me it`s not so much where Casey will get transfers from, but where his vote will go if/when he is eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Inquitus wrote: »

Yep polls close close at ten. AFAIK exit poll is released within a few minutes of that.

Inquitus wrote: »

Close at ten and Red C are doing an exit poll for RTE/TG4, so shortly after 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just after voting and there were four ballots in cork city. And the European election and local election ones were like reading tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought it was very busy at my poll. Anyone have a guess at the turnout yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

25% turnout as of 6.30 at my booth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Turnout is low AF according to the radio. Can anyone see any shocks? Or will it just be the usual FF/FG monopoly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Getting a bit busier at 5:30-6pm in my poll hall as work finished for the weekend, hardly a queue or an insurmountable rush mind!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

My polling station said they were busier than they expected to be.

1. O'Sullivan
    2. Kelleher

Literally all I put down. It was either candidates I didn't like or never heard of after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

NI turnout confirmed at 45% - was 52% in 2014, but the locals were on the same day then, so not strictly comparing like with like:

http://twitter.com/eoni_official/status/1131985447821950976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Whatever the 6 p.m. figure is for your county, a good rule of thumb is to double that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Turnout is low AF according to the radio. Can anyone see any shocks? Or will it just be the usual FF/FG monopoly?
    FF/FG will absolutely clean up in the locals. Massive resources, both running over 400 candidates. No one will touch them.

Euros harder to call. I expect FG, Ming and SF to retain their seats. Hard to call after that. FG may add to it. Probably 1 or 2 for FF. Greens and Independents will be in the mix too.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

FF/FG will absolutely clean up in the locals. Massive resources, both running over 400 candidates. No one will touch them.

Euros harder to call. I expect FG, Ming and SF to retain their seats. Hard to call after that. FG may add to it. Probably 1 or 2 for FF. Greens and Independents will be in the mix too.

I'd be very surprised if FG/FF 'clean up' in the locals. FG initially targeted 50 extra seats and have since revised that to 20.

They might get a few extra seats but I wouldn't be expecting massive swings. Greens the ones to look out for in their EU candidates home counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There was only one count, so nobody knows who got Michael D's no.2s.

Anecdotal from people counting but quite a few , stands out because its surprising

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just back from voting in Leixlip and they reckoned it was just over 50% there.

NI turnout confirmed at 45% - was 52% in 2014, but the locals were on the same day then, so not strictly comparing like with like:

http://twitter.com/eoni_official/status/1131985447821950976

It will be interesting to see how Norn Iron voted, whether the DUP or SF come out on top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It will be interesting to see how Norn Iron voted, whether the DUP or SF come out on top.
    Martina Anderson will top the poll again for SF. Jim Allister from TUV will get a decent vote and split Unionists votes 3 ways. Naomi Long or Eastwood probably get 3rd seat.

• Advertisement

Martina Anderson will top the poll again for SF. Jim Allister from TUV will get a decent vote and split Unionists votes 3 ways. Naomi Long or Eastwood probably get 3rd seat.

I like Eastwood it would be nice to see him do well.

Jesus that Allister is a bitter old man though, I'm surprised he gets any votes at all, he even makes the DUP sound reasonable in comparison and that's saying something.

Advertisement