Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blanch152 wrote: »
    Walsh will have an all-round appeal in a way that for example Carthy won't have.

On the other hand, conservative FF voters won't like her and are more likely to transfer to Carthy.

It will be an interesting count.

Neither will Casey`s voters and while Carthy will most likely get enough to see him home, if it comes down to her and Ming then I wouldn`t be overly surprised to see him getting enough from Casey and the 2 FF 16% to overhaul. I felt from the outset that Walsh and McGuinness needed to be closer or Walsh on around 13% for her to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

gmisk wrote: »
    Your thinking is irrational. Coal fired stations have released many times the amount of radioactivity into the atmosphere compared to nuclear power per unit generated. Coal has probably caused millions of deaths through radioactivity and lung disease.

This compares to less than 5,000 deaths for all of the worlds meltdowns combined.
    I'd dispute those figures.
    Other studies have estimated 90k killed as result of Chernobyl alone.
    Would you want one round the corner from you?

As I said, there are numerous stations in the UK that are on our doorstep. It doesn’t keep me awake at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There are plenty within a few hundred miles of us.
    I'm well aware of that a few hundred miles is not round the corner.
    Maybe have the iodine tablets handy if you are close

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The Japanese disaster was caused by a tsunami. Ireland hasn't experienced a tsunami since 1755 apparently. Sonny answer is yes I would be happy
    Lots of other incidents not related to tsunamis as you well know.
    Sonny?! What

That's grand I wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that a few hundred miles is not round the corner.
    Maybe have the iodine tablets handy if you are close

Are you afraid of flying? Your logic leads me to believe you might be.

• Advertisement

Casey's vote is from the FF pool, but it's the gunk you find when you clean the FF pool filters.

It very well may be, but if it is then Walsh is not going to benefit and that 9% of his is going to have a say in where the last two seats go.

Are you afraid of flying? Your logic leads me to believe you might be.
    What are you on about?
    I am well aware there is radiation exposure when flying. It's just a tad lower than what might happen if there is another Chernobyl..
    Anyway back on topic.

The greens are anti nuclear power....I am pretty sure

Glad to see they are doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

You are an inspiration! You should simply pick the jackass least likely to win, mark #1 and then stop. Or just go to the pub instead!

Either way, you make my vote count more than yours, because you don't understand it and I do.

Power to the people (who understand the system) !

Ah, you are actually a dick. I feel better now, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

charlie14 wrote: »
    Neither will Casey`s voters and while Carthy will most likely get enough to see him home, if it comes down to her and Ming then I wouldn`t be overly surprised to see him getting enough from Casey and the 2 FF 16% to overhaul. I felt from the outset that Walsh and McGuinness needed to be closer or Walsh on around 13% for her to make it.

Now the thing is that I saw the red C poll at the weekend actually showed that the FF candidates and Walsh were both polling best with the over 55s. I actually think she could transfer well from them.

It's not about the issues, it's more there will be some who'll think "oh look, it's the Rose of Tralee, I think she's the politician we need".

Values wise it mightn't add up, but I think she will do it if she gets 3% from McGuinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Bit irresponsible of Leo?

Blame FF's Jim O'Callaghan if Fitzgerald wins a seat in Europe.

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    Now the thing is that I saw the red C poll at the weekend actually showed that the FF candidates and Walsh were both polling best with the over 55s. I actually think she could transfer well from them.

It's not about the issues, it's more there will be some who'll think "oh look, it's the Rose of Tralee, I think she's the politician we need".

Values wise it mightn't add up, but I think she will do it if she gets 3% from McGuinness.

I would be surprised if she didn`t get 3% off McGuinness to bring her to 13%, but I felt she needed 13% on her own before McGuinness transfers. With how the exit polls are stacking up against the weekend polls, I would not put a lot of store in them. She may have polled well with the FG over 55s, being a FG candidate, but the over 55s, especially FF`s are generally conservative. As to Casey`s 9%, regardless of age I cannot see her getting much there.

It’s alarming that at a time when we need to reduce our carbon footprint that we vote in the Green Party who are opposed to nuclear power.

Basically all of the developed European countries with the lowest carbon emissions have a significant nuclear baseload for generation. Those that don’t have some of the highest and that includes the likes of Norway who have a significant renewables infrastructure.

Who should have I voted for if I wanted nuclear power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It very well may be, but if it is then Walsh is not going to benefit and that 9% of his is going to have a say in where the last two seats go.

Walsh's best chance is that she is left with Casey or Flanagan for the last seat. Faced with her or either of those muppets, you would hope voters would have sense to transfer to her.

I would be surprised if she didn`t get 3% off McGuinness, and with how the exit polls are stacking up against the weekend polls I would not put a lot of store in them. She may have polled well with the FG over 55s being a FG candidate, but the over 55s, especially FF`s are generally conservative. As to Casey`s 9%, regardless of age I cannot see her getting much there.

If she gets a single transfer from Casey she should be happy...

Casey's most likely go to Ming followed by Carthy. Probably a few non-transferable too. My friend said he was going Casey and the rest blank and I'd say that could be fairly representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The Irish Green Party are more of a NIMBY party than an actual party with practicable green, fair policies

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

road_high wrote: »
    The Irish Green Party are more of a NIMBY party than an actual party with practicable green, fair policies

I hope that changes. They lost a lot of radical members when they went into coalition years back.

Sounds like muppet Flanagan’s vote is pared back a lot. Could voters be finally seeing through this crap? One lives in hope

Not a Ming fan but I think he has given the job proper commitment. I think he is more deserving than a candidate who swans in having had a one night TV appearance and wants to make a political career of it.

It's funny how populists are so criticised yet you have FG always willing to field a 'celebrity'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

blanch152 wrote:
    Walsh's best chance is that she is left with Casey or Flanagan for the last seat. Faced with her or either of those muppets, you would hope voters would have sense to transfer to her.

Can you explain what makes Flanagan a Muppet over MEP's from FF or FG?

blanch152 wrote: »

Casey will most likely be gone at that stage as I cannot see him picking up transfers, so if it is Walsh and Flanagan left after Casey eliminated, the odds will favour Flanagan imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

How can anyone deny Ming has done an excellent job for his constituents over the last term?

• Advertisement

Sounds like muppet Flanagan’s vote is pared back a lot. Could voters be finally seeing through this crap? One lives in hope

Ming's vote is cut in half from 20% in 2014 to 10% tonight.
    How did it all go so wrong?

I had forgotten about the Dublin incinerator.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I admire the predictions in this thread but Sunday will be the true indicator of how the votes went.

He is not the only one Quite a few votes have had a trimming tonight.

Not a Ming fan but I think he has given the job proper commitment. I think he is more deserving than a candidate who swans in having had a one night TV appearance and wants to make a political career of it.

It's funny how populists are so criticised yet you have FG always willing to field a 'celebrity'.

He's on record as saying he didn't expect to win but then decided to make a career of it.....

Is the Ming that has given the job proper commitment, the same Ming as the one who didn't turn up for over a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Sheeps wrote: »
    How can anyone deny Ming has done an excellent job for his constituents over the last term?

In doing what exactly?

Sheeps wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh.

What has Ming actually done?
    What are his achievements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Being in favour of Brexit wasn't a good look.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I admire the predictions in this thread but Sunday will be the true indicator of how the votes went.

True enough, but I would be surprised if there is any great change from the exit polls. If not, then it shows just how far out some of the polls during the campaign were.

Advertisement