Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

blanch152 wrote: »
    Is the Ming that has given the job proper commitment, the same Ming as the one who didn't turn up for over a year?

It’s probably a better thing for us all if that loon stayed at home in Roscommon. Permanently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

My vote counts more than yours, and you feel better! Everyone wins!

Cool. Thanks for confirming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Is the Ming that has given the job proper commitment, the same Ming as the one who didn't turn up for over a year?

No you're confusing him with the Ming who 'accidentally' votes the wrong way in EU parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Ming's vote is cut in half from 20% in 2014 to 10% tonight. How did it all go so wrong?

Ming was a protest candidate in 2014.

Now he is running on his record - "taking the job seriously"

Dude - no-one voted for you to take the job seriously, there are actual real politicians already doing that.

Ming's vote is cut in half from 20% in 2014 to 10% tonight.
    How did it all go so wrong?

Like all fad candidates, once the novelty wears off and actual track record comes into play then the reality becomes apparent. Would be great to see him turfed (excuse the pun) out on his arse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

blanch152 wrote:

He has an attendance record on par with Mairead McGuiness 90 per cent. His wife had health issues which he gave priority too as most would expect. Actually I checked his recent attendance he was at 2 sessions more than Mairead McG. Try harder.

He has an attendance record on par with Mairead McGuiness 90 per cent. His wife had health issues which he gave priority too as most would expect. Actually I checked his recent attendance he was at 2 sessions more than Mairead McG. Try harder.

So he attended to the job he’s paid and elected to do? They should erect shrines in his honor! Real question is what did he actually rather than turn up to claim expenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Just proves the European elections are utterly a waste of time.

Like what has he done in all that time for Ireland?????

Sheeps wrote: »
    How can anyone deny Ming has done an excellent job for his constituents over the last term?

What has he done that’s been so outstanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

road_high wrote: »
    So he attended to the job he’s paid and elected to do? They should erect shrines in his honor! Real question is what did he actually rather than turn up to claim expenses?

More than can be said for the complete charlatan Crowley in the South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

His wife was seriously ill at the time.

His attendance record since then has been excellent @96% https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-luke-ming-flanagan-2.html

He was a cheerleader for Brexit for a blast until he realized that wasn’t very fashionable outside of protest bandwagon land

road_high wrote:

You answered your question in the first sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

rossie1977 wrote: »
    His wife was seriously ill at the time.

His attendance record since then has been excellent @96%; https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-luke-ming-flanagan-2.html

Well done, well done, ha ha ha, very good.

But wasn't he against the EU when elected? Do we have the tape?

Roll it there, Collette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well done, well done, ha ha ha, very good.

But wasn't he against the EU when elected? Do we have the tape?

Roll it there, Collette.

His big issue with Europe was and remains the €70 billion debt forced on Ireland

Well we only get to elect 11 MEP's to a parliament of 720 I believe so yeah I'm in agreement with you. But its what they do when they are there. Ming has made people aware of the workings of the parliament whether people wanted to take heed is another matter.
    I know a question as opposed to an answer but what has Clune, Kelly done? I will be honest and say McGuiness has played a blinder in Brexit probably not enough, but that's not her fault but because at the end of the day Ireland is a small island off the Westerly coast of Europe.

Well we only get to elect 11 MEP's to a parliament of 720 I believe so yeah I'm in agreement with you. But its what they do when they are there. Ming has made people aware of the workings of the parliament whether people wanted to take heed is another matter.

I know a question as opposed to an answer but what has Clune, Kelly done? I will be honest and say McGuiness has played a blinder in Brexit probably not enough, but that's not her fault but because at the end of the day Ireland is a small island off the Westerly coast of Europe.

Just want to take the opportunity to say that Clune is a complete dead duck politician. The fact she is now in a five seater and could still manage to lose her seat shows how hopeless she is. Without the FG banner, she really wouldn't hit 1%.

Was originally thinking Doyle's transfers might get her in, but maybe the Leinster factor will see Byrne getting a share of them too. Of course the grubber Wallace could get them too. I'm surprised someone like Daly who is at least reasonably eloquent (even if her views are untenable) sees him as a real politician.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    His big issue with Europe was and remains the €70 billion debt forced on Ireland

Classic Ming- take a populist issue, try make hay with it but ultimately achieve nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

SNIP. Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Clare Daly performed probably as well as can be expected at 12%.

If you compare this to the 2014 election, the prominent left candidates, Paul Murphy (8.5%) and Brid Smith (7%) had a combined vote of 15.5%

Left wing transfers aren't guaranteed, and the 4% margin of error means she's not exactly home and watered. It's all to play for.

• Advertisement

Clare Daly performed probably as well as can be expected at 12%.

If you compare this to the 2014 election, the prominent left candidates, Paul Murphy (8.5%) and Brid Smith (7%) had a combined vote of 15.5%

Left wing transfers aren't guaranteed, and the 4% margin of error means she's not exactly home and watered. It's all to play for.

the 4% margin of error is on the whole poll. It doesn't mean each candidate has that error applying plus or minus to their score.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

robman60 wrote: »
    the 4% margin of error is on the whole poll. It doesn't mean each candidate has that error applying plus or minus to their score.

Can you explain what you mean when you say it applies to the whole poll?

Can you explain what you mean when you say it applies to the whole poll?

It's a bit late at night for explaining but a 4% margin of error and a candidate gets 10%, then 4% of 10 = 0.4% means they would be 9.6-10.4% if they fall within the margin of error. Remember margin of error only accounts for sampling variance though, not people lying or just getting an unrepresentative sample for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

robman60 wrote: »
    It's a bit late at night for explaining but a 4% margin of error and a candidate gets 10%, then 4% of 10 = 0.4% means they would be 9.6-10.4% if they fall within the margin of error. Remember margin of error only accounts for sampling variance though, not people lying or just getting an unrepresentative sample for other reasons.

That's my understanding also ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Being in favour of Brexit wasn't a good look.

Voting along with Nigel Farage and Marine Le Pen in favour of a Hard Border, and then claiming to have voted in error when he was called out on it really made him look like a slieveen or just stupid. I don't believe he is either, but it was an awful own goal...

The ould MaryJane wasn't helping cognition that day, wha??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

If Wallace and Daly were elected how soon might there be by-elections in their constituencies?

Are all the schools closed down to be used as polling stations and hundreds of people employed in polling stations just to fill one seat for what will most likely be less than a year or do they run by elections in a different way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

By elections are run exactly the same way. The writ has to be moved within 90 days now I believe after FFs scandalous delays in 09/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Neither Wallace or Daly "HAVE" to take there seat in europe. All candidates have to nominate an alternate to take their place if they chose not to take the seat.

Once again we have UNELECTED people representing us in europe.

I know in Daly's case her alternate is a deaf person.

In Peter Casey's case he nominated his wife

In Frances Fitzgeralds case she nominated another FG candidate who also then nominated her to cover both angles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If Wallace and Daly were elected how soon might there be by-elections in their constituencies?

Are all the schools closed down to be used as polling stations and hundreds of people employed in polling stations just to fill one seat for what will most likely be less than a year or do they run by elections in a different way?

Taken from CitizensInformation.ie:

"When a TD dies or resigns, the Dáil (one of the houses of Parliament in Ireland) passes a resolution directing that a writ be issued to the returning officer of the TD's constituency to hold an election to fill the vacancy. Until 2011 there was no time limit for the passing of the resolution by the Dáil. The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2011 provides that if the Dáil does not move to have the writ issued within 6 months the Ceann Comhairle must direct the Clerk of the Dáil to issue the writ. "

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/by_elections_in_ireland.html

So, maximum of 6-month delay from the date of resignation before moving the writ, with the by-election taking place on a convenient date thereafter (usually 3+ weeks)

If a General Election is considered to be imminent as at the 6-month point, I'm not sure how that impacts moving the writ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was quite off on the 90 days then

If a GE seems imminent you don't run the by election basically. But if the GE doesn't happen, someone will take a court case over it so it's a very dangerous game to play

Advertisement