Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think the greens and all the other enviro-fascists will definitely try and institute policies and measures from brussels that will force us all to pay more in taxation on the ground here.

Great.
    And let's hope it goes to local job creation and not into job creation in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Are the Greens always these sort of slightly wishy-washy, slightly upper middle class urban types?
    Or is that just an unfair stereotype?
    Because I have never seen or heard a Green candidate that is not like that.
    I always see a Green candidate and think ah they are well meaning, heart is the right place, but when it comes to the crunch would I really want to vote for them?

I mean I can see why people would vote for them in European Elections, people view the General Elections as more important and go a bit 'risque' with the European vote.

But could you ever imagine a Green Taoiseach going to the dail on his/her electric scooter, getting the boat instead of getting a plane when he/she is travelling etc etc?
    Telling us not to flush the toilet if at all possible.....
    Have baths instead of showers, unless the shower is not longer than 7 minutes....
    How to create good compost.
    Could they explain the intrinsic nature of recycling to world leaders about how the pringles box currently must go in the Black Bin?
    How coffee cups should be reused if possible, and better still made of recyclable material etc
    Go Vegan.... (yay)
    Introduce carbon taxes

Meanwhile in the real world.... Housing Crisis/Brexit/Stormont/Trump etc can take a back seat....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I think the greens and all the other enviro-fascists will definitely try and institute policies and measures from brussels that will force us all to pay more in taxation on the ground here.

I think a lot of what they do will be ostensible market harmonisation policies which can apply to anywhere similar to what they did with Tobacco Advertising or roaming rates. Product bans perhaps. The scope of Article 114 of the TFEU has been interpreted by the ECJ to be very broad.

Some of these things would be good perhaps, but let's not overstate the impact of (if all three are elected) 1/250th of a parliament which lacks the power to even propose legislation.

Dáil elections can't be too far away now and I think the Green influence is only going to grow. I welcome that if it's at the expense of SF in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Are the Greens always these sort of slightly wishy-washy, slightly upper middle class urban types?
    I always see a Green candidate and think ah they are well meaning, heart is the right place, but when it comes to the crunch would I really want to vote for them?

I mean I can see why people would vote for them in European Elections, people view the General Elections as more important and go a bit 'risque' with the European vote.

But could you ever imagine a Green Taoiseach going to the dail on his/her electric scooter, getting the boat instead of getting a plane when he/she is travelling etc etc?
    Have baths instead of showers, unless the shower is not longer than 7 minutes....
    Could they explain the intrinsic nature of recycling to world leaders about how the pringles box currently must go in the Black Bin?
    How coffee cups should be reused and made if possible and made of recyclable material etc
    Go Vegan.... (yay)
    Introduce carbon taxes

Meanwhile in the real world.... Housing Crisis/Brexit/Stormont/Trump etc can take a back seat....

If you want to live within the ideal green way of life you need to have money. So really is going to be upper/middle class.

Was looking at different building material styles/techniques and the ones that seem more eco friendly were the most expensive upfront. So if your lower working class you can't really afford to be a green unless you are really invested at an ideology basis...IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How coffee cups should be reused and made if possible and made of recyclable material etc
    Go Vegan.... (yay)
    Introduce carbon taxes

It's the small stuff that makes a difference and setting a good example helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fascists - good one! You're a hoot.

But no, it won't be more tax for all, just for those who insist on burning diesel and avoiding public transport.

How coffee cups should be reused if possible, and better still made of recyclable material etc
    Go Vegan.... (yay)
    Introduce carbon taxes

If you don't look after the other stuff, there will be no real world to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Are the Greens always these sort of slightly wishy-washy, slightly upper middle class urban types? Or is that just an unfair stereotype? Because I have never seen or heard a Green candidate that is not like that. I always see a Green candidate and think ah they are well meaning, heart is the right place, but when it comes to the crunch would I really want to vote for them?

Yup, they are a bit wishy washy, but not only do they mean well, their main cause is now critical for all of us, we now have no choice but to address our environmental issues, for all our sakes.

Environmental issues are now a major part of our real world problems, including the ones you ve mentioned, all of these now have equal importants, and now must be dealt with together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Why don't you rerun the stats to look at ALL taxes, not just income tax?

Check out the URL in the screenshot.

I could only screenshot one page at a time!

481158.JPG

You’ve based the assumption on a couple where only one person is working, and so the earning spouse is able to transfer additional standard rate threshold from the non-working spouse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Fascists - good one! You're a hoot.

But no, it won't be more tax for all, just for those who insist on burning diesel and avoiding public transport.

If you don't look after the other stuff, there will be no real world to worry about.

What about those who don't have any real access to public transport. Ie anyone outside the cities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

blackwhite wrote: »
    You’ve based the assumption on a couple where only one person is working, and so the earning spouse is able to transfer additional standard rate threshold from the non-working spouse.
    Yeah, I did - because that was the scenario given by the other poster.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What about those who don't have any real access to public transport. Ie anyone outside the cities
    If you're going to insist on building on a site in Daddy's field, you can't really be expecting to have a bus coming to your front door. Maybe the chickens of ribbon development are coming home to roost. I don't know why you'd expect fibre broadband going up every boreen either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

robman60 wrote: »
    I think a lot of what they do will be ostensible market harmonisation policies which can apply to anywhere similar to what they did with Tobacco Advertising or roaming rates. Product bans perhaps. The scope of Article 114 of the TFEU has been interpreted by the ECJ to be very broad.

Some of these things would be good perhaps, but let's not overstate the impact of (if all three are elected) 1/250th of a parliament which lacks the power to even propose legislation.

Dáil elections can't be too far away now and I think the Green influence is only going to grow. I welcome that if it's at the expense of SF in particular.

Maybe it`s just me, but the possibility of a road to Damascus like leap from armalite hugger to tree hugger, even as a giant step for mankind, would be in the realm of unicorns roaming the planet.

Yeah, I did - because that was the scenario given by the other poster.

If you're going to insist on building on a site in Daddy's field, you can't really be expecting to have a bus coming to your front door. Maybe the chickens of ribbon development are coming home to roost. I don't know why you'd expect fibre broadband going up every boreen either.

Well then your point is mute. Everyone can't live in cities.
    Boreens? Youve been listening to newstalk breakfast too much.

I'm not talking about people living in the middle of nowhere. I'm talking about towns.
    Odd article

They say there is life beyond the M50 but nobody is quite sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If you want to live within the ideal green way of life you need to have money. So really is going to be upper/middle class.

Was looking at different building material styles/techniques and the ones that seem more eco friendly were the most expensive upfront. So if your lower working class you can't really afford to be a green unless you are really invested at an ideology basis...IMO

I agree that adopting a more environmentally friendly approach to life is generally more expensive. I'd like to see the Greens/SD and other environmentally focused parties get a shot at it. I honestly think carbon tax will only work if it's leveraged against subsidising more environmentally friendly options.

I.e. increasing scale of taxes on ICE vehicles as electric and even PHEV alternatives become more prevalent. People should continue to get rebates but I would also welcome those on lower income to get assistance to move away from ICE.

Just an idea, regardless they couldn't be any worse than the slow/non action by recent governments.

circadian wrote: »
    I agree that adopting a more environmentally friendly approach to life is generally more expensive. I'd like to see the Greens/SD and other environmentally focused parties get a shot at it. I honestly think carbon tax will only work if it's leveraged against subsidising more environmentally friendly options.

I.e. increasing scale of taxes on ICE vehicles as electric and even PHEV alternatives become more prevalent. People should continue to get rebates but I would also welcome those on lower income to get assistance to move away from ICE.

Just an idea, regardless they couldn't be any worse than the slow/non action by recent governments.

The tax will come before the alternative. They will milk it for as long as possible then introduce and alternative which will be poorly organised and most likely abandoned leaving only the tax in place.

Ireland 101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The tax will come before the alternative. They will milk it for as long as possible then introduce and alternative which will be poorly organised and most likely abandoned leaving only the tax in place.

Ireland 101

Do you see the hypocrisy in decrying what you see as shoddy governance in Ireland while simultaneously saying that you yourself are going to actively be more harmful to the environment to counteract any initiatives brought in to help it.

Can you ever see yourself doing something which you think would help the society you live in or do you really not give a sh*t? If it is the latter, than at the very least, you are as bad as those in government who perform poorly.

I always think to myself if this Green doomsday scenario is close to happening.
    Suddenly neccesity will the mother of invention.
    Plus by that stage technology will have improved enormously and major countries of the world will do an equivalent to cramming for the leaving.
    Other alternatives - some not even yet conceived will be found.

To be honest, I am more afraid of driving on the M50, than I am of the world ending as we know it.
    But I can see why idealistic youths would vote for the Greens it would let them feel like they are helping the planet etc.
    There were a lot of them on television at that environment protest thing.

I just find it difficult to take the Greens seriously, I don't know how they can change that perception and get people like me to vote for them.
    Maybe go on about thier other policies besides the environment ones?
    I would like to hear them talked about more.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Maybe it`s just me, but the possibility of a road to Damascus like leap from armalite hugger to tree hugger, even as a giant step for mankind, would be in the realm of unicorns roaming the planet.

I dunno the jump may not be as big as you think.
    Gerry Adams admitted to being a member of.....

the tree huggers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/northern_ireland/1424096.stm

https://www.healthypages.com/community/threads/gerry-adams-tree-hugger.17070/

He is even concerned about the number of trees in Ireland

Do you see the hypocrisy in decrying what you see as shoddy governance in Ireland while simultaneously saying that you yourself are going to actively be more harmful to the environment to counteract any initiatives brought in to help it.

Can you ever see yourself doing something which you think would help the society you live in or do you really not give a sh*t? If it is the latter, than at the very least, you are as bad as those in government who perform poorly.

I don't really give a ****
    Do you see it playing out a different way or do you agree with me?
    You haven't said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Nothing posted in the last 3 pages has anything to do with the European elections. I had to check to make sure it wasn't the local election thread I clicked on by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't really give a ****
    Do you see it playing out a different way or do you agree with me?
    You haven't said

I absolutely do not agree with you.

I'd like to think I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning if I was as negative, pessimistic, self-centred as you seem to be.

• Advertisement

I absolutely do not agree with you.

I'd like to think I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning if I was as negative, pessimistic, self-centred as you seem to be.

So tell me how you think it will play out.
    Too many people on here shooting down everyone else's opinion and not offering anything of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So tell me how you think it will play out.

I think Ming will get the 4th seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think Ming will get the 4th seat.
    Over McHugh or Walsh?

I dunno the jump may not be as big as you think.
    Gerry Adams admitted to being a member of.....

the tree huggers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/northern_ireland/1424096.stm

https://www.healthypages.com/community/threads/gerry-adams-tree-hugger.17070/

He is even concerned about the number of trees in Ireland

You may be correct, but while SF vote is down I really do find it difficult to believe that vote went to the Greens.

5 years ago FG lost 105 local election seats and SF gained 105. Taken at face value it would appear that SF gains were directly at the expense of FG.

charlie14 wrote: »
    You may be correct, but while SF vote is down I really do find it difficult to believe that vote went to the Greens.

5 years ago FG lost 105 local election seats and SF gained 105. Taken at face value it would appear that SF gains were directly at the expense of FG.

One point being made in the context of the locals is that the anti-politics stance of the left and Indos five years ago is no longer relevant nor vote attracting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

is_that_so wrote: »
    Over McHugh or Walsh?

Walsh.

Walsh.
    So you think McHugh will get in? Big challenge for her without support. Sticking with Walsh & McHugh until we get first official count.

is_that_so wrote: »
    One point being made in the context of the locals is that the anti-politics stance of the left and Indos five years ago is no longer relevant nor vote attracting.

A bit early to tell but the center vote of FF and FG doesn`t appear to have changed from 2014. That leaves the rest of the vote basically between the Indos, the left and the Greens, so perhaps it depends where you list the Greens. Could there be a good case made to include them in the anti-politics/protest category?
    If there is, then it is more a case of moving deckchairs as anything.

Walsh.

There wont be much in it, but I`m inclined to agree. McHugh for the 3rd and Flanagan to take the last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Should be a ban-able term any chance of this getting back on topic? Or maybe locking it until the votes are counted on Monday.

Advertisement