Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

is_that_so wrote: »
    So you think McHugh will get in? Big challenge for her without support. Sticking with Walsh & McHugh until we get first official count.

McHugh will be transfer friendly.

Look at the collection of yokes to be eliminated - they will not favour the #2 FG Rose of Tralee Lesbian candidate. Unless Walsh gets in directly on the transfers from McGuinness she will struggle, and I don't think McGuinness will have that kind of surplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Carthy reportedly struggling, with FG x 2, Ming and McHugh currently favourites to be elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Looks like the Greens will be the surprise winners in these elections, have to admit I didn't see that coming.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looks like the Greens will be the surprise winners in these elections, have to admit I didn't see that coming.
    It's evident that environmental issues and climate change are becoming a bigger motivation for Irish voters now. The big question is whether or not the Irish Green Party is an appropriate outlet for these issues. Objecting to mass transit systems on the basis of interfering with private car travel patterns for small minorities and objecting to sustainable dense city centre development are not really green policies that most people would favour. Perhaps with their increased support they may begin to take themselves seriously.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are the Greens always these sort of slightly wishy-washy, slightly upper middle class urban types?
    Or is that just an unfair stereotype?
    Saoirse McHugh is upper middle class urban?
    Suddenly neccesity will the mother of invention.
    Plus by that stage technology will have improved enormously and major countries of the world will do an equivalent to cramming for the leaving.
    Other alternatives - some not even yet conceived will be found.
    Sure, because the perfect solution to any major crisis is to shrug and assume that it will probably be grand.
    To be honest, I am more afraid of driving on the M50, than I am of the world ending as we know it.
    And that's a flawless example of one of the core problems we face as a species: we're absolutely appalling at risk assessment beyond what we can immediately perceive. Evolution simply hasn't prepared us for assessment of big-picture risks like climate change.

That, of course, is why we have science. Unfortunately, we also have the mind-numbingly stupid idea that science is a matter of personal opinion.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That, of course, is why we have science.

I was reading a number of look backs on when it all went horribly wrong recently, and the answer is George Bush (the Da) in 1988. The science was there, the opportunity was there. Bush in his campaign said:

Those who think we are powerless to do anything about the ‘greenhouse effect’ are forgetting about the ‘White House effect’. In my first year in office, I will convene a global conference on the environment at the White House. It will include the Soviets, the Chinese… The agenda will be clear. We will talk about global warming.

But then he won and decided fúck the future generations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the greens and all the other enviro-fascists will definitely try and institute policies and measures from brussels that will force us all to pay more in taxation on the ground here.

No more of the enviro-fascist stuff please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McHugh will be transfer friendly.

Look at the collection of yokes to be eliminated - they will not favour the #2 FG Rose of Tralee Lesbian candidate. Unless Walsh gets in directly on the transfers from McGuinness she will struggle, and I don't think McGuinness will have that kind of surplus.
    The size and quality of the surplus is her ticket. No real idea what it is till we see how the count matches the exit poll. If FG have done proper vote management , and they are usually quite good at it, it could be a very sizable chunk and would probably put her in a fight for a seat. McHugh is a Harkin type but she needs to get consistent transfers on each count she's still in. Hannigan will give up votes to both, the bottom ones to nobody at all or the left side of the field, FF I can't even guess at although Carthy got a few the last time. It may be Casey to finally settle it. That could be Ming or just whoever happens to be ahead but I don't know if there will even be that many transfers from Casey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

Peter Casey rejected again. Hopefully that's the end of him.

Why, out of ciruosity?

I find him inarticulate and disingenuous, but the fact remains, non nationals are, in certain cases, given priority for allocation of social housing. Not a single member of the parties that make the most noise about the housing crisis raise a single peep about this. It is absolute madness to be giving new arrivals Eastern Europe access to schemes like HAP if they declare themselves homeless. Sheer lunacy to be handing new build council houses to Syrian refugees with the cost coming from government coffers and not, as some activists would have you believe, the EU.

Casey might not be the answer, but someone needs to hold the rest of these con artists to account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Casey might not be the answer, but someone needs to hold the rest of these con artists to account.

In fairness for con artists they at least deserve a mansion for orchestrating a civil war in order make their way to Ireland to get a house.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    In fairness for con artists they at least deserve a mansion for orchestrating a civil war in order make their way to Ireland to get a house.

Nobody is denying that these people need assistance.

Handing a new council house or a purchased one that cost the state anywhere between 60,000 and 300,000, depending on location, is, however, obscene. At 4000 refugees that is presumably somewhere around 1000 homes. That is obscene money.

You said they were con artists, there's only one implication of what you posted.

You said they were con artists, there's only one implication of what you posted.

No, I said the parties who pontificate about a housing crisis that either turn a blind eye to or actively support Leo's C.V building refugee programme are con artists. Namely that they refuse to speak up if housing is given away to a group from abroad but are all over like a rash if a vulture fund is involved.

turn a blind eye to or actively support Leo's C.V building refugee programme are.

I just dunno where you're coming from.

It will be interesting to see how much of the vote Casey got, a poll on the news had him at 7% which would be a decent enough result.

FF seem to be the big losers though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Nobody is denying that these people need assistance.

Handing a new council house or a purchased one that cost the state anywhere between 60,000 and 300,000, depending on location, is, however, obscene. At 4000 refugees that is presumably somewhere around 1000 homes. That is obscene money.

They love it here. Land of riches

Blueshoe wrote: »
    They love it here. Land of riches

At I said, they deserve it for organising a civil war just to get here.

At I said, they deserve it for organising a civil war just to get here.

That covers the Syrians. What about the rest?

Why, out of ciruosity?

I find him inarticulate and disingenuous

That would be enough, but that isn't the half of it.

He gets a slot as a z-list "celebrity" on an RTE knock off of a UK TV show, along with other chancers like "I can't believe hes not FF" Gallagher, and thinks he can leverage that little bit of Semi-state-sponsored name recognition into...

President of the fúcking country? Feck off with yourself you cheeky bollix.

And when its not working... pull a Trump! Be the racist old man at the bar no-one wants to talk with!

And when none of that works.. run for the EU parliament! A man who was pro Brexit and Irexit, and now he runs for the EU parliament to go and sit with Nige, collecting a fat salary at our expense to try and sabotage the EU.

No - go back to Trumpland you complete fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I always think to myself if this Green doomsday scenario is close to happening.
    Suddenly neccesity will the mother of invention.
    Plus by that stage technology will have improved enormously and major countries of the world will do an equivalent to cramming for the leaving.
    Other alternatives - some not even yet conceived will be found.
    It IS close to happening. It is 10-12 years away from irreparable damage. This is OUR problem, not our children or grandchildren - our problem. We have today's technology to deal with it - maybe a little bit more in 10 years, but we're not going to be in flying cars teleporting to the moon.

It is our problem to fix today.

• Advertisement

It's too late to fix it, maybe if we had started in 1990, but if we tackle it aggressively, we can limit the damage.

That would be enough, but that isn't the half of it.

He gets a slot as a z-list "celebrity" on an RTE knock off of a UK TV show, along with other chancers like "I can't believe hes not FF" Gallagher, and thinks he can leverage that little bit of Semi-state-sponsored name recognition into...

President of the fúcking country? Feck off with yourself you cheeky bollix.

And when its not working... pull a Trump! Be the racist old man at the bar no-one wants to talk with!

And when none of that works.. run for the EU parliament! A man who was pro Brexit and Irexit, and now he runs for the EU parliament to go and sit with Nige, collecting a fat salary at our expense to try and sabotage the EU.

No - go back to Trumpland you complete fraud.

He got it wrong about the Eastern Europeans but he is spot on in what he said about travellers, that's why he did so well in the Presidental Election.

And yet here you are shouting racism when there is none, you'd swear he was going around in braces and hobnail boots with a swastika on his forehead.

It IS close to happening. It is 10-12 years away from irreparable damage. This is OUR problem, not our children or grandchildren - our problem. We have today's technology to deal with it - maybe a little bit more in 10 years, but we're not going to be in flying cars teleporting to the moon.

Nothing will change. The path has been set. Small changes will make no difference.
    Oil will still be refined and turned into energy for fuel, manufacturing etc etc
    Plastic is going nowhere and is needed in all sorts of forms
    If developed countries cannot change how can developing countries do it
    The world population growth is out of control and demand for resources never higher.
    Those with power and wealth will not just give it away
    There is no real appetite or means to completely change how the world functions.

10-12 years? Wouldn't happen in 100

I just dunno where you're coming from.

Germany threw an open door invite. They also needed a dig out. The rapes and the lone wolf attacks every other week at one stage didn't help.

Enter Frances Fitzgerald.
    “There’s no question of local authorities giving priority to any of the 210 new families we will be taking in,” she said.

“One of the initiatives we’re taking in relation to our new resettlement programme for Syrian refugees will be to focus on those who already have family members here - one of the key assessments will be how these families will be able to support those arriving.”

Adding: “The issue of housing is extremely complex, as we’ve currently people in Direct Provision, who at present, have been processed and are in need of housing.”

“However, there is no question of those exiting direct provisions, or just arriving here, jumping to the top of the queue.”

This is, and was, a complete and utter lie.

https://kclr96fm.com/bagenalstown-is-to-get-new-early-morning-rail-service-thanks-to-campaigners/

All of these counties have people on the waiting list prior to May 2015.

Ergo, these people were bumped up the queue. Directly contradicting what the Brussels bound Fitzgerald claimed would happen.

Not a single elected official has passed public comment on this, save for one or two Labour, SF and, IIRC, FG councillors who were promptly censured or kicked out by the party admin. Certainly nobody from PBP Solidarity has objected to it.

He got it wrong about the Eastern Europeans but he is spot on in what he said about travellers, .

Plenty of Roma gypsies on the take to be fair, he was spot on. I have to wonder, did we blindly sign up to some EU affirmative action treaty before we had Roma and now find ourselves having to house them? Because it baffles me how there seems to be so many knocking about these days.

you'd swear he was going around in braces and hobnail boots with a swastika on his forehead.

No, no, you're not getting me at all. If he was an actual Nazi, I'd be fine with him running and getting voted into the dirt.

He isn't - he's a fraud. This is just another try at getting wads of cash from the taxpayer. We were stupid enough to pay him to be on Dragon's Den, maybe we'll fall for his act and put him in the Áras. No? How about Brussels then?

He has no, zero relevant experience, no party, no principles, no mission, no beliefs, just the bare-faced gall to see a cushy number and think we are fools enough to give it to him. With expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The tax will come before the alternative. They will milk it for as long as possible then introduce and alternative which will be poorly organised and most likely abandoned leaving only the tax in place.

Ireland 101
    If only there was some way you could have participated in the decision to shift Ireland in a direction that you desire?

He got it wrong about the Eastern Europeans but he is spot on in what he said about travellers, that's why he did so well in the Presidental Election.

And yet here you are shouting racism when there is none, you'd swear he was going around in braces and hobnail boots with a swastika on his forehead.
    It's the racists in suits that you need to worry about;

220px-Oswald_mosley_MP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Germany threw an open door invite. They also needed a dig out. The rapes and the lone wolf attacks every other week at one stage didn't help.

Enter Frances Fitzgerald.

This is, and was, a complete and utter lie.

https://kclr96fm.com/bagenalstown-is-to-get-new-early-morning-rail-service-thanks-to-campaigners/

All of these counties have people on the waiting list prior to May 2015.

Ergo, these people were bumped up the queue. Directly contradicting what the Brussels bound Fitzgerald claimed would happen.

Not a single elected official has passed public comment on this, save for one or two Labour, SF and, IIRC, FG councillors who were promptly censured or kicked out by the party admin. Certainly nobody from PBP Solidarity has objected to it.

Isn’t it a points based system? So, these people would have been evaluated as having a higher need for housing than some already on the list.

That’s different to them being bumped up the list.

We see similar with the likes of Margaret Cash and Erica Fleming declaring themselves homeless and after a relatively short time in emergency accommodation they are given a home.

10-12 years? Wouldn't happen in 100

It will happen in less than 100, since our current civilization will end if it continues on this path. When that is staring us in the face, it will happen.

But lots and lots of poor people will have to die first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more one liners please. There have been multiple warnings.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement