Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more one liners please. There have been multiple warnings.

Mod: Also, stay on topic, please. The thread is about the EU elections, not refugee accommodation.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mary Lou McDonald's leadership under pressure from today I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a bigger problem than the leader. SF flip flop all over the place on all sorts of issues that they themselves don't know if they're coming or going, nevermind the electorate. They're populists but only after the fact they know which way the wind is blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Their Love of travellers did serious damage in many parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There may be rumbling alright but I cannot see anyone making a move to replace her.
    I would not pass a lot of regards to their European vote, but their local vote will be a worry for them going into the next GE. Especially in that they have been the de facto opposition party in the present Dail.

A bit of cosying up to potential partners in the interim with a view to forming a coalition would not surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doherty that unambitious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What about those who don't have any real access to public transport. Ie anyone outside the cities

We all just have to go die in a big eco friendly, EU approved natural gas fire.

charlie14 wrote: »
    There may be rumbling alright but I cannot see anyone making a move to replace her.
    I would not pass a lot of regards to their European vote, but their local vote will be a worry for them going into the next GE. Especially in that they have been the de facto opposition party in the present Dail.

A bit of cosying up to potential partners in the interim with a view to forming a coalition would not surprise me.

It was always going to be a tough gig following immediately after Adams.

I didn't expect her to last long at the time.
    As somebody else said, dropping in the local elections will hurt. I would expect some soul searching as to the identity of the party which has maybe gone too far into the centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

We all just have to go die in a big eco friendly, EU approved natural gas fire.

Bought from Russia. If the Us invade Iran we will have a new source

L1011 wrote: »

There were rumours in Donegal of him being well able to do a bit of backstabbing last time out where it suited, so who knows.
    I have always looked on him as someone who was more interested in the real power job in a coalition, Minister of Finance or the minister`s sidekick

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

its between him and calleary for least impressive possible future leader candidate tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

As somebody else said, dropping in the local elections will hurt. I would expect some soul searching as to the identity of the party which has maybe gone too far into the centre.
    They went after the feminist vote and failed while alienating their core traditional supporters. Lost too many members. Sinn Fein Ard Comhairle is as much to blame as Mary Lou. Need to go back to basics if they are to recover. Members in SF have no say Ard Comhairle too powerful. Michelle O'Neill and Mary Lou need to go or it could totally destroy them.

I`m not sure if they have been forced towards the centre by some more of the radical left candidates or they intentionally moved with an eye to coalition.
    Suspect the latter as any party will have problems holding on to support if they look like being eternal opposition and the left is so fractured the chances of a coalition from there, to paraphrase Brendan Behan, would result in the first meeting discussing the split

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

They went after the feminist vote and failed while alienating their core traditional supporters. Lost too many members. Sinn Fein Ard Comhairle is as much to blame as Mary Lou. Need to go back to basics if they are to recover. Members in SF have no say Ard Comhairle too powerful. Michelle O'Neill and Mary Lou need to go or it could totally destroy them.

Completely. They went that route without a) realising their core support lies elsewhere and b) the 'feminist' vote as we will call it will still go to the harder left candidates such as Daly who embrace the whole agenda.

Falling between two stools and I have to say I am delighted especially after the recent manoeuvring of Boylan's partner trying to call a referendum on housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Sinn Fein became a very trendy liberal social justice party akin to Labour in the last 5 years. The truth is most SF core supporters are nothing like that. They are more nationalist, republican, traditional and working class. Thats quite obvious when talking to their voters. They need to go back to that.

Red C exit poll said Sinn Fein voters are easily the most opposed to immigration but the party are the opposite. If Sinn Fein went nuclear and came out against immigration they would gain big support. Won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sinn Fein became a very trendy liberal social justice party akin to Labour in the last 5 years. The truth is most SF core supporters are nothing like that. They are more nationalist, republican, traditional and working class. Thats quite obvious when talking to their voters. They need to go back to that.

Red C exit poll said Sinn Fein voters are easily the most opposed to immigration but the party are the opposite. If Sinn Fein went nuclear and came out against immigration they would gain big support. Won't happen though.

This is a lot of it.

The difference between the activists and the voter base, class differences, outlook differ etc.

More than a few of the Leinster hse team are arrogant tossers.

Cut off from life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Danzy wrote: »
    This is a lot of it.

The difference between the activists and the voter base, class differences, outlook differ etc.

More than a few of the Leinster hse team are arrogant tossers.

Cut off from life.

I think a lot of that has to fall on Mary Lou. She is targetting a voter like herself (urban, middle-class), and assuming her base will go nowhere. Hard to see exactly where it's gone as of yet but gone it has. The traditionalists could go to FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

robman60 wrote: »
    I think a lot of that has to fall on Mary Lou. She is targetting a voter like herself (urban, middle-class), and assuming her base will go nowhere. Hard to see exactly where it's gone as of yet but gone it has. The traditionalists could go to FF.

Part of the blame does but the outlook is not hers alone.

Danzy wrote: »
    Part of the blame does but the outlook is not hers alone.

and she isnt going to pick up a lot of votes herself on charisma. anyone i know is completely turned off by her attack dog persona in the dail, shes like a primary school teacher who thinks shes a hard nut

I think the fact that it is the first local elections in 5 that they haven't made gains (according to RTE) will keep the focus on McDonald's leadership.

While I think they should have gone with Doherty myself I did think she would be able to create a bit of a bounce. No so it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I don't like SF but Larry O'Toole deserves to be in. He does loads around these parts ( Dublin North) Actually so does Tommy Broughan, Tom Brabazon and Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, the rest are ghosts round these parts, never heard of most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I am bit disappointed in the coverage. I thought we would have wall to wall reports from the count centres but reporting has been very scarce.

I loves me a good election!

I am bit disappointed in the coverage. I thought we would have wall to wall reports from the count centres but reporting has been very scarce.

I loves me a good election!

Counting hasn't started for this one so the coverage is all locals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have done nothing on brexit but looked for a border poll for the past year.
    People have seen through their bull

They've gone backwards under Mary Lou. She's a weak leader and probably needs replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sinn Fein voters are like UK Brexit voters, but the party is full on adopting policies that are the opposite to that. They will never square that circle in opposition and if they ever get to power, well they will end up like Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

and she isnt going to pick up a lot of votes herself on charisma. anyone i know is completely turned off by her attack dog persona in the dail, shes like a primary school teacher who thinks shes a hard nut

It's Joan Burton syndrome. She spent a long time as deputy leader, which meant she was the partys rottweiler. People are now sick of the sound of her less than dulcet voice always giving out.

SF's problem with replacing her is that their talent pool in the Dail is pretty shallow, most of em seem to have been selected as TDs because they'll do whatever they're told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They've gone backwards under Mary Lou. She's a weak leader and probably needs replacing.

Time for a change in direction not just leadership. In trying to compete with FF and FG they have alienated their main working class voting base. Time to move to back to a nationalist stance on an anti immigration platform if they did they would certainly get my vote anyway. I'm sure it would be popular with the working class too.

No reason they can't the League in Italy went from a centrist party on an independence for Northern Italy stance to a nationalist anti immigration stance when Salvini became leader no reason why Sinn Fein can't too.

SFs "working class base" returned a tiny handful of TDs and one MEP on a fluke day - lost the next time out. It's not something that returning to will benefit them

And it's clearly being eaten by Aontu, eirigi and former SF independents anyway

An anti immigration SF would be fighting for the same 0% as Gemtrails and Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boar Hunter

I do not post much on boards more of a lurker to be honest. Currently sitting in the departure lounge of Dublin airport. I came home especially and initially to only vote in the local election as my neighbor and friend was standing for election. However I was given all the ballots at the local polling station and it would sicken me to spoil a vote. I decided to give Ming my No1 and the Direct Democracy candidate my No 2.

My reasons for voting for ming is his rejection of an EU army and his defence of turf cutters. My family have cut turf by hand for generations and we have documentation directly relating to our cutting rights going back to before the Act of Union and not ever willing to give up my right. He also did a lot in regards to the CAP for smaller farmers as well as his attendance record. I remember him from his time around Galway city and support his stance on weed.

The Direct Democracy candidate vote was because I fully believe in this form of democracy. They are a sad reflection of a party in Ireland and realise that this No 2 is as good as a wasted vote. As a person who will in the next few weeks become a Swiss citizen I see the power of the local decentralization power and the actual power invested in an informed electorate.

This will be the last time I vote in Ireland and will be interesting to see if the trends becoming apartent in Ireland will translate to the rest of the Eu or will the right wing populist sweep to power as many Germans I work with are predicting and voting for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Sinn Fein are losing the old school traditional nationalist / republican vote ... the 2 to 4 % that voted for them in their dark days .
    Many of these voters came from working class , factory worker or small farmers in rural Ireland .
    People who agreed with a party seeking a United ireland 🇮🇪
    Now they seek a party obsessed with PC matters like abortion and making excuses for all the traveller crime .
    Many of the old school supporters are middle of the road Catholics who don’t want this carry on rammed down their throats by new trendy Sinn Fein and voted Aonta in support of Peader Tobin and others .
    In rural Ireland Sinn Fein and their constant defense of travellers saw them lose huge numbers of votes .

Advertisement