Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Seamai wrote: »
    Heard both the chief counting officer in Cork and Paschal "Drama Queen" Sheehy making a big song and dance about the problems presented by the " 2 Foot plus long ballot paper" and it might be mid week before we have full results for Ireland South, what a bloody joke in this day and age, I know people have issues with e voting but there's also resistance out there from those who get a hard on at the prospect of a count stretched over several days.

I'd sooner a count lasting several days with transparency and traceability than a result within an hour and Steve Bannon/Cambridge Analytica smirking in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Heard both the chief counting officer in Cork and Paschal "Drama Queen" Sheehy making a big song and dance about the problems presented by the " 2 Foot plus long ballot paper"

7 tonnes of ballots, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

7 tonnes of ballots, apparently.
    13.5 tonnes in MNW! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I don't think UK Labour are expecting many seats!

http://twitter.com/TheBrightonChap/status/1132646854565486592

• Advertisement

Interesting but still only a tiny snapshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,029 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

30 minute wait to vote in my polling station just outside Berlin. Hopefully a sign of high turnout as this would not be usual.

murphaph wrote: »
    30 minute wait to vote in my polling station just outside Berlin. Hopefully a sign of high turnout as this would not be usual.

http://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132649053307711488

Unmissable today in terms of coverage of turnout across the bloc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I'd sooner a count lasting several days with transparency and traceability than a result within an hour and Steve Bannon/Cambridge Analytica smirking in the background.

To be honest, this is just populist nonsense akin to climate denial.

Most other OECD countries use some sort of e-voting and us Paddies are a sucker for thinking that we are somehow 'different'.

Our voting method has not changed at all in decades and should be updated and reformed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

markodaly wrote: »

Most other OECD countries use some sort of e-voting and us Paddies are a sucker for thinking that we are somehow 'different'.

Our voting method has not changed at all in decades and should be updated and reformed.
    So you would prefer a system that wasn't transparent or that could be digitally manipulated quite easily

• Advertisement

For the people who get a hard-on for our old fashioned voting system, we should reform it so that we can include early voting and online/postal voting a week out from the election.

The idea we have to wait a week for a result is a pathetic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Ireland's Commission on Electronic Voting found it could not conclude the Dutch evoting system planned to be used here was secure & reliable.

The same system was in operation in Holland, but had to be taken out of service, because serious confidentiality and security flaws were identified. They then returned to paper ballots. We dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Think of all the "political commentators/analysts" and "media" who would be out of a job with e-voting. This is the real issue me thinks.

I don't really mind either way - counts that go on for days, who really cares - the result is the result no matter when it is finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If this is correct, McHugh is not transfer friendly at all and I’d wonder about her exit poll accuracy to begin with.

So you would prefer a system that wasn't transparent or that could be digitally manipulated quite easily

Do you have actual proof that e-voting was manipulated like what was mentioned in any OECD countries?
    The likes of the Dutch, Canada, Australia, Finland, the UK, and the US to name a few use it all the time.

I guess we should not use email or bank online either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you have actual proof that e-voting was manipulated like what was mentioned in any OECD countries?
    The likes of the Dutch, Canada, Australia, Finland, the UK, and the US to name a few use it all the time.
    That system lacked transparency. It also had the potential for digital manipulation (I didn't say it had been manipulated)
    No technology is perfect. If someone is determined to access your online bank account, they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Direct Democracy candidate vote was because I fully believe in this form of democracy. They are a sad reflection of a party in Ireland and realise that this No 2 is as good as a wasted vote. As a person who will in the next few weeks become a Swiss citizen I see the power of the local decentralization power and the actual power invested in an informed electorate.
    The theory of Direct Democracy is interesting, but is it really, really better to leave decisions to the electorate? Is the electorate ever going to make necessary but hard decisions? I'd love to see some decent research into this. Even the US system where the voters get to vote for the Sanitation Commissioner and the Judge etc - is this any better than Irish and European systems?

There's also the issue that those involved in Direct Democracy Ireland, including the bould Gilroy are not people I'd want to give any power to.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Varadkar wants to go and get an ISIS member out of jail and bring her back here to live freely.
    You know how citizenship works, right? If she's committed a crime, she goes on trial. If she hasn't, she's entitled to live here, just like any other citizen. It's kinda important that governments don't get to override basic human rights on a whim.

In fact it's the reverse of climate denial, if you look at the science involved for an hour or two. How you ensure that the choices made by the voter on the system are the choices stored and counted, without compromising the secret ballot, or creating opportunities for vote selling or duress voting? Come up with a solution there if you can.

Heard both the chief counting officer in Cork and Paschal "Drama Queen" Sheehy making a big song and dance about the problems presented by the " 2 Foot plus long ballot paper" and it might be mid week before we have full results for Ireland South, what a bloody joke in this day and age, I know people have issues with e voting but there's also resistance out there from those who get a hard on at the prospect of a count stretched over several days.
    The issue with evoting is that it's not possible to ensure that the vote cast is the vote counted. The current system with each ballot paper seen by the eyes of interested parties gives huge security to our democracy.
    Squatter wrote: »
    Never mind 10 pm, it appears that we won't have results until tomorrow - and maybe later in the case of Ireland South.

Where are those e-voting machines when we need them!
    So what? What benefit would arise from having results on Saturday instead of Tuesday?
    For the people who get a hard-on for our old fashioned voting system, we should reform it so that we can include early voting and online/postal voting a week out from the election.

The idea we have to wait a week for a result is a pathetic tbh.
    Online voting is a great way to open up opportunities for vote selling and for duress voting by overbearing spouses or overbearing employers. How would this help things?

And so what if we wait a week? What benefit would arise from the early results?
    kippy wrote: »
    Think of all the "political commentators/analysts" and "media" who would be out of a job with e-voting. This is the real issue me thinks.
    It's really not the issue. The integrity of our democracy is the issue, and making sure that voting is not for sale.

That's a great point. The problem with eVoting is that you'll never have actual proof that votes were manipulated. You'll just see inexplicable votes, probably supporting of corporate/pro-business/right wing parties. You'll never know.

UK don't have eVoting, though they did do very small trials this year. Australia have it for very limited purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting_by_country
    Email and online banking is not anonymous. Your bank transactions are explicitly linked to you. Your vote CANNOT be explicitly linked to you. That's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I work in electronics for a living and would far rather the simplicity and transparency of the system we have now where I can go and see my vote go into the box and view the counting if I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If this is correct, McHugh is not transfer friendly at all and I’d wonder about her exit poll accuracy to begin with.

yeah, really have to ask some questions about those exit polls so. Seems to be doing pretty badly as the count goes on ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

In other news, the wheels are coming off the far right/populist narrative with the AfD in Germany doing worse than expected and Golden Dawn in Greece slipping back too. For Germany, the Greens are looking at their biggest voteshare ever and in Greece, ND and Syriza appear to have swapped places.

I think polls are still open for France and Romania, and turnout for both of those is up quite a bit. Mad queues for Romania expats voting at their embassies too by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

Also, EP has tweeted this link https://election-results.eu/

Calina wrote: »
    In other news, the wheels are coming off the far right/populist narrative with the AfD in Germany doing worse than expected and Golden Dawn in Greece slipping back too. For Germany, the Greens are looking at their biggest voteshare ever and in Greece, ND and Syriza appear to have swapped places.

I think polls are still open for France and Romania, and turnout for both of those is up quite a bit. Mad queues for Romania expats voting at their embassies too by the looks of things.

Visuals for Germany and Greece:

http://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132682383138930688

http://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132682672709537793

Mera25 is the Greek branch of Varoufakis's pan-European party.

Mera25 is the Greek branch of Varoufakis's pan-European party.

Marginal for a seat I think. I saw a comment from Katherimini I think earlier thst suggested the legal minimum for a seat is 3% of the vote but in practical terms, 4.25 or so was required for safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Any tallies going for Dublin or South?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

If his figures are correct 40% transfer from McGuinness surplus to Walsh is pretty poor.

Calina wrote: »

If Syriza lose there could be a GE in Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

charlie14 wrote: »
    If his figures are correct 40% transfer from McGuinness surplus to Walsh is pretty poor.
    It still doesn't have to be brilliant, just enough to put her ahead for a final seat. And that is a really tiny tally sample.

is_that_so wrote: »
    If Syriza lose there could be a GE in Greece.

I saw that, certainly ND would look for it. Tsipris is one hell of a survivor though so I would not bet on the outcone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Heard on the news there that Claire Daly is in with a good shout of getting a seat, I wonder what the Europeans will make of her screeching at them for the next 5 years if she gets in.

Might have to eat my words if Walsh gets in.

Advertisement