Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Varadkar isn't ruling out a GE in the autumn either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

is_that_so wrote: »
    It still doesn't have to be brilliant, just enough to put her ahead for a final seat. And that is a really tiny tally sample.

If the Red C exit poll and Flanagan`s figures are accurate then it looks like that 40% from the McGuinness surplus would be doing well to leave Walsh level with McHugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Particularly coming so soon after the killing of Lyra McKee by dissident Republicans in Derry.

That is fairly slack using her death to advance your own agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Heard on the news there that Claire Daly is in with a good shout of getting a seat, I wonder what the Europeans will make of her screeching at them for the next 5 years if she gets in.

Might have to eat my words if Walsh gets in.

I think the message that is going through, via RTE anyway, is that possible transfer patterns are just not clear at all. There are just snippets of data on them via patchy and tiny tallies. Cuffe and Fitzgerald seem to be certainties as do McGuinness and Kelly. After that there may be a three day counts! Andrews, Daly and Boylan in it in Dublin and any 3/5 in MNW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In "European populist watch", the Finns Party appears to be virtually stagnant since 2014:

http://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132693323246899205

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    If the Red C exit poll and Flanagan`s figures are accurate then it looks like that 40% from the McGuinness surplus would be doing well to leave Walsh level with McHugh.
    Yep but it's a really small sample and that puts Ming under pressure. Meanwhile, Carthy seems to think his vote is lower than the exit poll. We really need an actual count to see where everyone is starting from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Visuals for Germany and Greece:

Mera25 is the Greek branch of Varoufakis's pan-European party.
    Finland had big advances by the green party as well; looks like there might be a green wave in Europe in general.

Nody wrote: »
    Finland had big advances by the green party as well; looks like there might be a green wave in Europe in general.
    So much better than a wave moving towards right wing rabble-rousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It will be interesting to see how EN lang media pitch it though. Already you can see them struggling with the voters have not done the populist/far right act they were building headlines.

Calina wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how EN lang media pitch it though. Already you can see them struggling with the voters have not done the populist/far right act they were building headlines.

Ah, you read Matthew Goodwin's tweet as well, I see! Britain Elects to give a seat projection at 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Ah, you read Matthew Goodwin's tweet as well, I see! Britain Elects to give a seat projection at 7.

Here is ARD from ca a half an hour ago. https://mobile.twitter.com/markuspreiss/status/1132681384122826752

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

markodaly wrote: »
    For the people who get a hard-on for our old fashioned voting system, we should reform it so that we can include early voting and online/postal voting a week out from the election.

The idea we have to wait a week for a result is a pathetic tbh.

Actually, its very educational watching the vote count. Probably why Irish people actually understand how the PR system works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So much better than a wave moving towards right wing rabble-rousers.
    NPD (German extreme right party, right of AfD) is losing their one seat according to preliminary exit polls.

Bulgaria, Lithuania and Malta appear to be the only countries where turnout fell:

http://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132701456618917889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yeah, really have to ask some questions about those exit polls so. Seems to be doing pretty badly as the count goes on ,

Such as?

NPD (German extreme right party, right of AfD) is losing their one seat according to preliminary checkout polls.
    Yep I know them. They used to send me "literature" when I lived in Germany. Any time they are losing the world is a better place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Exit polls for France, Romania and Spain at 7pm.

Exit polls for France, Romania and Spain at 7pm.
    Can add Sweden with a first preliminary result at 10pm.

yeah, really have to ask some questions about those exit polls so. Seems to be doing pretty badly as the count goes on ,
    Exit polls are +/- 3% and all they can do is predict FPVs and give an indication of where people are. The likes of FG, FF and Ming we know get transfers. Carthy has done in a limited way. McHugh & even Casey are newbies in terms of predicting transfers. I think Casey is toxic but couldn't guess at what she might get as the Greens have never been here before. One possibility is that she's predominantly FPVs and will fall away on transfers or she could be a Harkin type of candidate picking up transfers all the way If she's the latter she will be elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

LePenn beat Macron in France 25-26% to 19-21%. Others put it 24% v 22.5%.

• Advertisement

French media are not allowed to post closing polls until the voting is over; Belgian media however has no such issues :P
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132708943820709890

UK predictions
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132709279679602689

If the UK predictions come true or close to it it simply shows how divided UK currently is.

French media are not allowed to post closing polls until the voting is over; Belgian media however has no such issues :P
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132708943820709890

UK predictions
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132709279679602689

If the UK predictions come true or close to it it simply shows how divided UK currently is.

Bizarrely, Brexit would win the exact same seat tally as UKIP in 2014!

Hard Brexit: 25 (assuming DUP elected tomorrow)
    Soft Brexit: 24-25 (UUP still in running)
    Remain: 23-24

http://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1132712604005294082

JxC is the party of Carles Puigdemont, the ex-President of Catalonia, while AR is a left-wing alliance of Basque and Catalan nationalists.

Danske folkparti (the rightwing Danish party) looks like they are going to drop 3 out of 4 seats based on exit polls and Vox in Spain as noted above did worse than in the general election. The expected right wing wave in the EU elections is definitively looking to come up very short of expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Bizarrely, Brexit would win the exact same seat tally as UKIP in 2014!

Hard Brexit: 25 (assuming DUP elected tomorrow)
    Soft Brexit: 24-25 (UUP still in running)
    Remain: 23-24

Brexit Party doing slightly less well than they were polling as places with a high leave vote had low turnout this time, it seems.

Have a bet on Lib Dems getting 15-19.99% so hopefully the polls play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Exit polls are +/- 3% and all they can do is predict FPVs and give an indication of where people are. The likes of FG, FF and Ming we know get transfers. Carthy has done in a limited way. McHugh & even Casey are newbies in terms of predicting transfers. I think Casey is toxic but couldn't guess at what she might get as the Greens have never been here before. One possibility is that she's predominantly FPVs and will fall away on transfers or she could be a Harkin type of candidate picking up transfers all the way If she's the latter she will be elected.

Myself & herself gave McHugh 2. Surprise to me, am a farmer and I really don't trust the GP. After no. 1 I was more thinking how do I make life difficult for Casey, FF , and others who might threaten the candidates i wanted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Danske folkparti (the rightwing Danish party) looks like they are going to drop 3 out of 4 seats based on exit polls and Vox in Spain as noted above did worse than in the general election. The expected right wing wave in the EU elections is definitively looking to come up very short of expectations.

Fingers crossed it is. Of all the threads to our prosperity and freedom in Europe, the far-right is easily the biggest (with the far-left not far behind). I am not one for overdoing the political correctness, but I detest the way parties like this want to strip away human rights and their lack of decency and compassion towards others. I hate their simplistic solutions to complex problems and I especially hate the way they are being financed by the likes of Bannon and co yet claim to be on the side of the ordinary voter.

I miss the olden days of the sensible centre left and centre right parties along with the centrist liberals being the dominant parties.

Preliminary numbers for the blocks:

EPP (Conservatives) -173
    S&D (Social democrats) - 147
    Alde (liberals) - 102
    EFA (greens) - 71
    ECR (Right EU skeptic) - 58
    ENF (Right wing populist) 57
    EFDD (Conservatives EU skeptic) - 56
    GUE/NGL (Left wing) - 42
    Other / disbanded groups - 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

badtoro wrote: »
    Myself & herself gave McHugh 2. Surprise to me, am a farmer and I really don't trust the GP. After no. 1 I was more thinking how do I make life difficult for Casey, FF , and others who might threaten the candidates i wanted there.

Her slap down of Casey on the debate may have decided a lot of voters to put her high up the ballot.

Will be an interesting part of the count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

So this is what people for : taxes taxes taxes. An Anti development party. Bye bye metro.

Advertisement