Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Surprised for Green Party. Didn’t vote for them, not sure why anyone would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

badtoro wrote: »
    Myself & herself gave McHugh 2. Surprise to me, am a farmer and I really don't trust the GP. After no. 1 I was more thinking how do I make life difficult for Casey, FF , and others who might threaten the candidates i wanted there.

Her slap down of Casey on the debate may have decided a lot of voters to put her high up the ballot.

Will be an interesting part of the count.

It wasn't a factor for me, more that she might, possibly, maybe, on a good day, on an important issue be more useful to me in the EP than a retiree like Smith, the lovely girl winner Walsh, or Imaginary Friend forbid a vacuum like Casey.

I might marginally prefer her to Carty, not sure whether I'll get the chance to regret that or not.

Carty lost a lot of votes flip flopping whether he'd run for the Dail or not, self inflicted harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A third of votes counted in MNW and it seems that McGuinness has 75,000 votes, Ming & Carthy 40,000 each, Walsh 36,000,Casey on 30,000, McHugh on 28,000, Smith on 20,000 and Rabbitte on 14,000. Quota expected to be around 120,000, which is about 10K lower than 2014. She could have a considerable surplus. Counting will adjourn at 10 p.m. and first count now not expected until tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

badtoro wrote: »
    It wasn't a factor for me, more that she might, possibly, maybe, on a good day, on an important issue be more useful to me in the EP than a retiree like Smith, the lovely girl winner Walsh, or Imaginary Friend forbid a vacuum like Casey.

I might marginally prefer her to Carty, not sure whether I'll get the chance to regret that or not.

Carty lost a lot of votes flip flopping whether he'd run for the Dail or not, self inflicted harm.
    Sure there is no flip-flopping about it, he's already been selected to run for them I've heard.

Nice gig for the unknown cllr from Kildare or Meath who will most likely replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

is_that_so wrote: »
    A third of votes counted in MNW and it seems that McGuinness has 75,000 votes, Ming & Carthy 40,000, Walsh 36,000,Casey on 30,000, McHugh on 28,000, Smith on 20,000 and Rabbitte on 14,000. Quota expected to be around 120,000, which is about 10K lower than 2014. She could have a considerable surplus. Counting will adjourn at 10 p.m. and first count now not expected until tomorrow afternoon.

If that is representative it is some difference from the exit poll between McHugh and Casey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

theballz wrote: »
    Surprised for Green Party. Didn’t vote for them, not sure why anyone would.

Really? You can't figure it out?

Come on Vlad, think hard for a second. Have you heard of any growing news story relating to the environment or heard of the evidence of the damage which has been done to the natural habitat in recent decades?

Nothing very attractive about living in waste land while not paying taxes is there?

robman60 wrote: »
    If that is representative it is some difference from the exit poll between McHugh and Casey.
    Who knows where that third is from. We're still just as much in the dark until the count gets to 80%-90%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

vladmydad wrote: »
    So this is what people for : taxes taxes taxes. An Anti development party. Bye bye metro.

Varadkar shifting the blame onto the Green's already and they aint even bedfellows yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A third of votes counted in MNW and it seems that McGuinness has 75,000 votes, Ming & Carthy 40,000 each, Walsh 36,000,Casey on 30,000, McHugh on 28,000, Smith on 20,000 and Rabbitte on 14,000. Quota expected to be around 120,000, which is about 10K lower than 2014. She could have a considerable surplus. Counting will adjourn at 10 p.m. and first count now not expected until tomorrow afternoon.

Where are you getting the info from as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Who knows where that third is from. We're still just as much in the dark until the count gets to 80%-90%.

Indeed - wasn't Casey getting a quarter of the Donegal vote, according to reports?

• Advertisement

Where are you getting the info from as a matter of interest?
    It showed up on the RTE app about 1 hour ago. Now it's vanished! It was on the local election feed page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Will RTE do a programme tomorrow? Don't think there will be any first counts tonight. Not sure why they the election special on until 1am, counting will be done for the day by the time it starts. Suppose they will do locals instead.

Will RTE do a programme tomorrow? Don't think there will be any first counts tonight. Not sure why they the election special on until 1am, counting will be done for the day by the time it starts. Suppose they will do locals instead.
    Locals are all but done and should wrap up tonight. I'd imagine from about 11 onwards tomorrow there will be coverage.

Indeed - wasn't Casey getting a quarter of the Donegal vote, according to reports?
    TBH it's worse to have such tidbits at this stage. Roll on tomorrow afternoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

There's an election programme on RTE1 at 10pm, whatever the content will be, does mention the Euros in the blurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

It showed up on the RTE app about 1 hour ago. Now it's vanished! It was on the local election feed page.

I saw that and then couldn't find it again.Its obviously incorrect in some respect as if you multiply each candidate by 3 you would have MMcG with a 100k surplus and 2 more on the quota with Walsh just shy.

Anecdotal evidence has Carthy behind the exit poll % and Flanagan ahead of his.Also Mc Hugh might not be as transfer friendly as predicted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

L1011 wrote: »
    SFs "working class base" returned a tiny handful of TDs and one MEP on a fluke day - lost the next time out. It's not something that returning to will benefit them

And it's clearly being eaten by Aontu, eirigi and former SF independents anyway

An anti immigration SF would be fighting for the same 0% as Gemtrails and Kelly.

Well clearly trying to target FF and FG hasn't worked for them the middle class won't vote for them most middle class people assoicate them with the IRA and don't believe they have any proper economic policy and the working class probably feel alienated by them if they try to target the middle class and FF/FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,748 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just don't understand how people vote for FG in Europe. They are just lackies, follow the line. It's like they never think for themselves or their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,029 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My polling station voted AfD in first place. These are racists and climate change deniers. Sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just don't understand how people vote for FG in Europe. They are just lackies, follow the line. It's like they never think for themselves or their country.

We haven't changed our tax code yet and Europe has been batting for us recently in terms of Brexit. I didn't vote for them but I can see why people would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    Can add Sweden with a first preliminary result at 10pm.
    Preliminary results following most of Europe at this stage; the main parties remain the two largest parties with the right wing Swedish Democrats coming in third with a vote below what they had in the last GE based on 5717 of 6305 election counties reported in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If Syriza lose there could be a GE in Greece.

Spot on : https://twitter.com/kostasrossoglou/status/1132753745098485760

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

First count in Dublin coming up...

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    First count in Dublin coming up...

Watch here: https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow/66546216066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Katya spinning furiously on BBC

Quota 72090

Andrews (FF) 51420