Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MacDanger wrote: »
    Not really, all bar Ming (~4.3% deviation) were within the margin of error and the average deviation for the top 9 candidates was 2%. Admittedly they seems to be well off on Cuffe but generally decent otherwise

The fact that people choose to ignore the caveat about a poll being based on a sample size and having an associated margin of error is hardly the pollster's fault.

The + / - deviation was 3%

It is not expected that you have numerous candidates at the edges of your margin of error, with some exceeding it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

RTE spent the entire weekend talking about the results on their nonsense Euro poll, now when the real results came in they aren't even broadcasting it. #tvlicense #publicservicebroadcasting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

RTE spent the entire weekend talking about the results on their nonsense Euro poll, now when the real results came in they aren't even broadcasting it. #tvlicense #publicservicebroadcasting

You dont like "My kitchen rules: Australia"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Journalists probably read the 3% margin for error as a 97% chance the exit poll stands. The success of Eamon Ryan's 50/1 bet of the century on McHugh being a highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Based on Ming's second preference tallies McHugh will be eliminated before Casey and Smith.At this stage Casey and Smith will be close together approx 15/18 k behind Walsh and there is no indication that either will get enough transfers to close that gap especially as Ming and Carthy will still be short of a quota and therefore absorbing transfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is anyone doijg a love sheet by first prefs like we had for dublin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Based on Ming's second preference tallies McHugh will be eliminated before Casey and Smith.At this stage Casey and Smith will be close together approx 15/18 k behind Walsh and there is no indication that either will get enough transfers to close that gap especially as Ming and Carthy will still be short of a quota and therefore absorbing transfers

If casey can stay in there when the 2 FF candidates get eliminated then thatll be the decider, if he overtakes walsh then its his seat to lose, if not then its game over.

Regarding the MoE surely it needs better explanation.Using a 3% MoE might be acceptable when a candidate receives 25% of the vote but if a candidate receives 14% having had an exit poll of 10% it is in fact miles out.

I would contend that this represents a deviation of 40% from the poll which is way too much.

I don't think the poll methodology is wrong.I think the polling companies are being told lies.This first arose in the "Shy Tory" polls in 1992 and has latterly manifested itself in the Trump election and the Brexit polls also.

It is where the respondent is afraid to admit a vote that they perceive might not be very popular and align themselves instead with what they think might be a less controversial choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The + / - deviation was 3%

It is not expected that you have numerous candidates at the edges of your margin of error, with some exceeding it.

It was +/- 4%: https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0524/1051567-strong-support-for-greens-in-euro-elections-exit-poll/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

badtoro wrote: »
    From Mings twitter

Prediction after distribution of McGuinness surplus.
    Carthy 77619+735=78354
    Casey56650+1173=57823
    Flanagan 85034+1877=86911
    Hannigan 12378+516=12894
    Healy Eames 15991+422=16413
    McHugh 51019+1501=52520
    Rabbitte 30230+719=30949
    Smith 42815+1001=43815
    Walsh 64500+5835=70335.

Very hard to see beyond Flanagan, Carthy and Walsh on those figures. SF would have to bring transfer toxicity to new levels to lose it.

Very disappointed for McHugh - she is a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Regarding the MoE surely it needs better explanation.Using a 3% MoE might be acceptable when a candidate receives 25% of the vote but if a candidate receives 14% having had an exit poll of 10% it is in fact miles out.

I would contend that this represents a deviation of 40% from the poll which is way too much.

I don't think the poll methodology is wrong.I think the polling companies are being told lies.This first arose in the "Shy Tory" polls in 1992 and has latterly manifested itself in the Trump election and the Brexit polls also.

It is where the respondent is afraid to admit a vote that they perceive might not be very popular and align themselves instead with what they think might be a less controversial choice.

Trump was off by about 1% and Brexit by 2% (with polls trending towards Brexit in the days before the vote). With Trump they did misjudge the voting profiles in certain areas (people who never voted before voted but overall they were fine and even in those locations they were not terrible). Obama /Romney had a bigger error but few noticed but as it just meant the favourite won by more.

The shy voter syndrome is a myth and has never really been shown.

How do you explain the overestimation of the GP vote by a huge amount in both constituencies so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How do you explain the overestimation of the GP vote by a huge amount in both constituencies so?

IF you get a representative sample of voters by location, age, gender, previous voting record, wealth, family status, sexual orientation and religion, then 1,000 of them on a particular topic is enough to give you a margin of error of 3%.

IF you miss out on one or more of those criteria, your MOE can be way out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I heard from The Guardian that Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz is going to face the sack in a no confidence vote soon.

His OVP party done badly in Austria winning 7 of the country's 18 seats in the EP.

Here is Reuters in Vienna on the story:

Yep gone now. First ever time it's happened. I'm a little surprised the Social Democrats went ahead with it, but at the same time he has to take the blame for going into power with the far right in the first place.. and he's been under constant pressure because of it, as the ibiza scanal is not the first one we've had here. There's been a constant stream of low level incidents, of racism and neo nazi links from members of the far righters, to the point where Kurz's lack of action in response became a meme

Correction on the EP vote though, they didn't do badly, the very opposite, a record vote.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

blanch152 wrote: »
    IF you get a representative sample of voters by location, age, gender, previous voting record, wealth, family status, sexual orientation and religion, then 1,000 of them on a particular topic is enough to give you a margin of error of 3%.

IF you miss out on one or more of those criteria, your MOE can be way out.
    Exactly, it has to be a sampled properly for the MOE to apply

I'm totally familiar with the methodology used and the sample size needed.If any of these factors are out then it is polling company error.

The point I am making is that it cannot be a coincidence that an exit poll rather than a pre election poll has totally estimated the first preference received in 2 constituencies by 1 party ...the Greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Exit poll was absolutely terrible. Questions to be asked there.

No it wasnt, i havent seen the exact % breakdown but all or most figures within the margin of error i think, the polls do come with the oft used phrase 'a heath warning' im not sure people pay much attention to that warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I'm totally familiar with the methodology used and the sample size needed.If any of these factors are out then it is polling company error.

The point I am making is that it cannot be a coincidence that an exit poll rather than a pre election poll has totally estimated the first preference received in 2 constituencies by 1 party ...the Greens.
    Seen a suggestion on twitter Red C didn't do much polling in rural areas. Greens poll bad outside cities and towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

with exit polls, its not just who gets asked its also who answers. There are a few variables, for example Green voters may just be slightly more inclined by nature to answer a pollster. And the big one in Irish politics, FF still have a smell of the crash about them, Sf a smell of the RA, and FG a smell of South Dublin private schools- A lot of people will still vote for these parties - but would be kinda embarrassed to admit it!

Sometimes, for the greater good, you have to hold your nose when voting - thank the gods for secret ballots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Gutted for McHugh but getting worried that Casey is in with a real chance - Healy Eames may be FG gene pool, but it's the old school, anti marriage equality gene pool that's less likely to transfer to Walsh and more likely to transfer to Casey, same with the FF vote that's been flagged by polster talking heads on RTE as being more weighted to older, less liberal and more 'foreign welfare cheat' phobic that clicks with Casey's ramblings. Hope I'm completely wrong on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

Maybe Matt Carthy would have done better if he confirmed he would sit in the parliament and not give his seat to another Sinn Fein rep. I believe it is Darren O'Rourke from Meath who lost his council seat yesterday. Absurd stuff, there should be a by election. And I say that as someone who gave Carthy a number 2 preference.

Darren O'Rourke scraped through and got the last council seat in his constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seen a suggestion on twitter Red C didn't do much polling in rural areas. Greens poll bad outside cities and towns.

You rebalance the polls to account for oversampling from towns (so rural answers would each have a higher weight if you feel like you asked too few of them relative to townies). As long as they asked a decent sample in the rural areas it shouldn't matter if they asked too many people in towns. A simple reweighted deals with it.

Likely what happened is that noticed X said Green a lot and X didn't vote as much as they expected. It would explain why it was off across the board for the greens. (That X may be people from towns or young people or whatever demographic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Gutted for McHugh but getting worried that Casey is in with a real chance - Healy Eames may be FG gene pool, but it's the old school, anti marriage equality gene pool that's less likely to transfer to Walsh and more likely to transfer to Casey, same with the FF vote that's been flagged by polster talking heads on RTE as being more weighted to older, less liberal and more 'foreign welfare cheat' phobic that clicks with Casey's ramblings. Hope I'm completely wrong on this...

She just needs to mostly match him. A 12K cushion is quite hard to pull back and there are a lot of assumptions about his transfer-friendliness.

Ireland South declaration unlikely until 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

dmakc wrote: »
    Wonder if IT will spend tomorrow's paper correcting the crazy green hyperbole they filled today's with.

In fairness to the IT, it also published this:-

Pat Leahy: Nine out of 10 people didn’t vote for the Greens

(no link because the article is behind the IT paywall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

is_that_so wrote: »
    She just needs to mostly match him. A 12K cushion is quite hard to pull back and there are a lot of assumptions about his transfer-friendliness.
    Yeah, hope you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

No it wasnt, i havent seen the exact % breakdown but all or most figures within the margin of error i think, the polls do come with the oft used phrase 'a heath warning' im not sure people pay much attention to that warning

Dobbo pointed out to the smug Lisa Chambers last night with barely concealed exasperation that he was "blue in the face" pointing this out to people!

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Yeah, hope you're right.
    Last seat in 2014 was won without reaching the quota. It's a pretty common occurrence in the GE as well and positioning at this stage is vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Squatter wrote: »
    Do you use e-banking? .............................. :(

Your banking transactions are explicitly tied to you as a person. Your vote CANNOT be tied and traced to you - the secret ballot is a fundamental cornerstone of democracy.

Advertisement