Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most of the machines have live paper printouts on the back as votes are cast, with timestamps and a person at the count centre normally asks some random people to confirm their vote, writes it down and tally's it with the printout and then the stored electronic data. Any inconsistency and you disregard the result but you'd want to be very good to beat that triple check.

How do the count centre staff check the stored electronic data? They can ask the application to show them, but how do they know that the application is telling the truth? And how do they know that the application doesn't change the stored data after the validation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gemma O'Doherty excluded in Dublin on 9th count. She was on 10,622.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I voted McHugh but I'm going to bloody well end this European Election cheering on Walsh I guess? I mean if it comes down to her or Casey. ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is_that_so wrote: »

How much of a boost did she get from gilroy, or were the loons mutually exclusive voting wise

Also looking at the spread, id say michael odowd will transfer well to casey, theres little for walsh or mchugh to aquire from anyone outside surplusses from the first two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

So Mickey Dee Higgins's daughter will be next to go - and she won't get her costs refunded - good!

• Advertisement

How much of a boost did she get from gilroy, or were the loons mutually exclusive voting wise
    She was on 8,768 in Count 8 so just under 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is anyone doijg a love sheet by first prefs like we had for dublin ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YxOV_VKV2ujMhWhKPsQSJHa3KVlQWGPKHfVVipFbnBs/edit#gid=1709040152

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Also looking at the spread, id say michael odowd will transfer well to casey, theres little for walsh or mchugh to aquire from anyone outside surplusses from the first two.

She was the biggest single earner from him. However Boylan and Daly also took big chunks. I imagine they will get a big boost from her now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Christy42 wrote: »
    She was the biggest single earner from him. However Boylan and Daly also took big chunks. I imagine they will get a big boost from her now as well.

Its all just that fringe crackpot group, theyd actually make a decent party if they could agree on which conspiracy theories are real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Any word on when they expect a first count in Ireland South?

• Advertisement

Who knows? There is a caveat here on transfers, a 100% transfer of votes is not realistic. I'd see non-transferable votes for McGuinness in there too, given the geography. A third of Mullen's transfers in 2014 were not transferable. Walsh will pick up some from Labour, where you wouldn't expect Casey to do well at all.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Any word on when they expect a first count in Ireland South?
    About 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

She was on 8,768 in Count 8 so just under 2000.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/results/#/european/dublin

Count 10, and Daly stretches lead over Boylan again, as she has done most counts.

49% of Gemma's votes were non-transferable.

Boylan is gone.

Left to transfer are Higgins, Brien, Durkan, White and Gannon (86,000 votes). Daly will pick up more transfers from them than Boylan. Andrews is still 11,842 ahead of Boylan. With nobody reaching the quota yet and transfers spraying around Boylan hasn't a hope in hell of taking the seat.

The only question now is whether it is Daly or Andrews for the third seat and one for limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

Is it just me or is Barry Andrews far from safe? Where is he going to pick up the transfers from to keep him ahead of the Boylan / Daly battle? Seems to be more of a "left" vote to distribute?

deeks wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Barry Andrews far from safe? Where is he going to pick up the transfers from to keep him ahead of the Boylan / Daly battle? Seems to be more of a "left" vote to distribute?

I reckon he is safe because he is 11,842 ahead of Boylan. After the first count, he was 12,033 ahead, and that has only reduced by 200, with the candidates eliminated to date favouring Boylan on paper.

Do you really think that Alex White, Gary Gannon or Mark Durkan voters will transfer in large enough numbers for Boylan over Daly and Andrews?

Daly will do best on transfers. Boylan may close the gap on Andrews a bit but there aren't enough spare votes and too many non-transferables.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blanch152 wrote: »
    I reckon he is safe because he is 11,842 ahead of Boylan. After the first count, he was 12,033 ahead, and that has only reduced by 200, with the candidates eliminated to date favouring Boylan on paper.

Much more so than the ones to come, you would think. Andrews will surely get a decent chunk of transfers from White, Durkan, even Gannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Much more so than the ones to come, you would think. Andrews will surely get a decent chunk of transfers from White, Durkan, even Gannon.

Why will Andrews get a decent chunk from Durkan with Fitzgerald still in the field?

I'd be confident enough of Daly passing Andrews but it would look to me as if Boylan will be 3/4k votes behind him.Even if Daly has not passed him at this stage she will when Boylan is eliminated.

Normally when there are 3 candidates left for 2 seats the last remaining candidate is eliminated and the other 2 elected.However because there is a big difference between finishing 3rd and 4th in this election the 5th placed candidate will have their votes distributed.This obviously will suit Daly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Normally when there are 3 candidates left for 2 seats the last remaining candidate is eliminated and the other 2 elected.However because there is a big difference between finishing 3rd and 4th in this election the 5th placed candidate will have their votes distributed.This obviously will suit Daly.
    Are you sure that's the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Looks like Wallace is going to get his MEP seat. At 63 it’s a grand time to hit off into the sunset and pick up his ~€65k post tax each year for the next half decade. He won’t have to put his hand in his pocket much while he’s over there either.

I think he did excellent work in the Dail but I really don’t know what he offers at this level, though he may surprise me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why will Andrews get a decent chunk from Durkan with Fitzgerald still in the field?

I'd be confident enough of Daly passing Andrews but it would look to me as if Boylan will be 3/4k votes behind him.Even if Daly has not passed him at this stage she will when Boylan is eliminated.

Oops, thought Fitzgerald was already elected. Okay that makes things harder for Andrews but like you say he should still be comfortably ahead of Boylan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Looks like Wallace is going to get his MEP seat. At 63 it’s a grand time to hit off into the sunset and pick up his ~€65k post tax each year for the next half decade. He won’t have to put his hand in his pocket much while he’s over there either.

I think he did excellent work in the Dail but I really don’t know what he offers at this level, though he may surprise me yet.

65k would be a very low ballpark. The amount of non vouched for allowances is insane. Something like 4k a month for general expenditure.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Are you sure that's the case?

I am fairly sure its the case but not 100%

Earlier in this thread somebody quoted the amendment that was made to section 88 of the relevant act to cover this.

Oops, thought Fitzgerald was already elected. Okay that makes things harder for Andrews but like you say he should still be comfortably ahead of Boylan.

Count 11 - elimination of Higgins - Andrews increases lead over Boylan.

Only question now is whether Daly can catch him and relegate him to the conditional seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Do you guys think that the Greens will ask to name the Irish Commissioner ?

Or will it still be one from Fine Gael ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

65k would be a very low ballpark. The amount of non vouched for allowances is insane. Something like 4k a month for general expenditure.

MEPs also don't pay full national income tax. The EU takes 10-20% and I think it's up to individual Member States if they tax beyond that. Sounds like she gig.

otnomart wrote: »
    Do you guys think that the Greens will ask to name the Irish Commissioner ?

Or will it still be one from Fine Gael ?

Why would the Greens have anything to do with it? Commissioners come as part of a team and parliament vets them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I always like looking at the NI elections, it always throws up some funny ones. For example I'm wondering who the 10 people were who voted for Dodds of the DUP and gave their next preference not to the UUP, TUV or even Alliance, Green Party or SDLP, but Anderson of Sinn Féin....

"Senator Warfield spoke about the order of election. What we are proposing here is something very similar to what happens in Seanad elections already, that there would be a complete counting of votes. If a person from a particular political party is the fourth person in Dublin and his or her party colleague is the fifth person, if the gap between the third and the fourth person is less than the number of votes to be distributed from the fifth person, the fifth person will be eliminated and that will determine the order of election. Therefore, the person who on the face of it might be finishing fourth could end up finishing second or third. We are talking about completing the electoral count to determine the order of election."

This is the reply given by the Minister of State in the Seanad Debate.I think its self explanatory.

It means that Andrews has very little chance of the third seat.I am surprised there isn't more media attention given to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovely to see Naomi Long looking good for a seat in northern Ireland, she might even take the second seat which would be even more impressive

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I'm actually just looking at Brian Hayes website for 2018.

This is some of the salary and expenses information.
    The monthly pre-tax salary of MEPs is €8757.70. MEP salaries are paid from Parliament’s budget. My salary is subject to EU tax and Irish tax. My monthly take home pay after both EU and Irish tax is €5493.
    MEPs are refunded the actual cost of their travel tickets on presentation of invoices, receipts and boarding passes. From January 2018 to December 2018 this amount was €37,219.98.
    Parliament pays a flat-rate subsistence allowance (€313) for each day of attendance at official meetings of the Parliament bodies within the European Community
    General expenditure allowance - The allowance is also used to cover costs relating to the organisation of events, conferences, seminars, exhibitions and public meetings. The allowance is €4,342 per month.

They also get an allowance of 24k per month to pay for staff....

I can't believe people are voting in Maria Walsh to get this while she has done nothing and is good for nothing.

Advertisement