Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why would the Greens have anything to do with it? Commissioners come as part of a team and parliament vets them.

Sorry, my question could have been clearer.

The Council of the EU adopts a list of candidate commissioners, one for each member state.
    Will the Green put pressure on the Irish Government to propose a Green Commissioner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm actually just looking at Brian Hayes website for 2018.

This is some of the salary and expenses information.

They also get an allowance of 24k per month to pay for staff....

I can't believe people are voting in Maria Walsh to get this while she has done nothing and is good for nothing.

Worse than that, they voted for Ming, when he sat at home for a year and claimed the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

blanch152 wrote: »
    Worse than that, they voted for Ming, when he sat at home for a year and claimed the money.

Ming, not sure on that situation, I believe his wife may have been sick.

Anyways, Ming has spent years and years campaigning for things. There's documentaries with about 10 pixels of ming fighting for what he believes in.

What has Walsh ever done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Considering how prominent NI has been in the European context with the issue of the backstop and whatnot, a 45% turnout is pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I reckon he is safe because he is 11,842 ahead of Boylan. After the first count, he was 12,033 ahead, and that has only reduced by 200, with the candidates eliminated to date favouring Boylan on paper.

Do you really think that Alex White, Gary Gannon or Mark Durkan voters will transfer in large enough numbers for Boylan over Daly and Andrews?

Daly will do best on transfers. Boylan may close the gap on Andrews a bit but there aren't enough spare votes and too many non-transferables.

No chance of Boylan passing Andrews but I reckon it will be extremely close between him and Daly for the third seat.
    He had just over 9k adavantage over Daly after the first count, that’s down to a little over 6k. It could go either way IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

No chance of Boylan passing Andrews but I reckon it will be extremely close between him and Daly for the third seat.
    He had just over 9k adavantage over Daly after the first count, that’s down to a little over 6k. It could go either way IMO.

If my reading of the process as posted above i.e. Boylan's votes will be distributed to decide who's third and who's fourth then surely Daly is a certainty?

I think she will pass him anyway but she will surely get 15/20k plus more transfers from Boylan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His wife was seriously ill, you know this too and have been corrected about it on this website previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

If my reading of the process as posted above i.e. Boylan's votes will be distributed to decide who's third and who's fourth then surely Daly is a certainty?

I think she will pass him anyway but she will surely get 15/20k plus more transfers from Boylan.

Boylans votes would only come into play if it were being counted as a 3 seater. There could be a high court challenge over this if Brexit doesn’t happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Those grapes are so sour they're not fit to make vinegar.

Gave Ming #2 last time and #1 this time.

I am happy he was at home for a good reason. As someone who's partner had a difficult pregnancy myself I applaud him for prioritising his family. It shows he has values.

Not to mention how you've left out his 90%+ attendance and voting record since. I'm sure the omission was entirely accidental.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Boylans votes would only come into play if it were being counted as a 3 seater. There could be a high court challenge over this if Brexit doesn’t happen

At 18.41 I quoted the procedure as outlined in the Oireachtas debate on the process.

Have you read this or have you some other reason to believe that Boylan's vote won't count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wallace seems to be doing well accrording to the news, I wonder could he take the third seat ahead of the Greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

What has Walsh ever done?

Nothing, except, she's a woman and she's gay, the face of the new age of Ireland.

That said, her or Casey? If that's the shootout....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Uriel. wrote: »
    Nothing, except, she's a woman and she's gay, the face of the new age of Ireland.

Casey please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Uriel. wrote: »

She's literally the identity politics candidate, fg thanked their lucky stars they could use her, such a generic brand of populism that she would have easily fit in SD, PbP etc.. Hopefully rural ireland has seen through the veil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

At 18.41 I quoted the procedure as outlined in the Oireachtas debate on the process.

Have you read this or have you some other reason to believe that Boylan's vote won't count?

When there’s 3 left with 2 seats to fill they don’t bother with final order historically

When there’s 3 left with 2 seats to fill they don’t bother with final order historically

The situation has never arisen before whereby there is a difference between third and fourth seats.

Have you read the explanation of the process given in the Oireachtas which I posted at 18.41??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

She's literally the identity politics candidate, fg thanked their lucky stars they could use her, such a generic brand of populism that she would have easily fit in SD, PbP etc.. Hopefully rural ireland has seen through the veil.

The results say they haven't.

Cannot identify any reason one would vote for her. She was woeful on the debates, has a few painfully generic, vacuous lines, yet she looks like getting in. I suppose all it shows is that policies are secondary. A nice photo, a fancy leaflet, and you can make the laws, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

otnomart wrote: »
    Sorry, my question could have been clearer.

The Council of the EU adopts a list of candidate commissioners, one for each member state.
    Will the Green put pressure on the Irish Government to propose a Green Commissioner ?
    It is a government appointment not a Dail one. Phil Hogan wants a commissioner job again and is expected to be reappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Watching the transfers in Dublin MEP race. Sinn Fein still as transfer toxic as ever. You'd think someone like Lynn Boylan might get more transfers, but Barry Andrews got around 300 more than her from Alice Higgins votes. Think we can safely call it now Lynn Boylan and Sinn Fein lose a seat. Total disaster for Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

robman60 wrote: »
    The results say they haven't.

Cannot identify any reason one would vote for her. She was woeful on the debates, has a few painfully generic, vacuous lines, yet she looks like getting in. I suppose all it shows is that policies are secondary. A nice photo, a fancy leaflet, and you can make the laws, lol.

It is between her and old man shouts at cloud...

Given the man got 23% at the presidential election it seems like a pretty poor showing to get 9% here. It kinda shows that election was a protest vote thing more than people wanting to give the man real power.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is between her and old man shouts at cloud...

Given the man got 23% at the presidential election it seems like a pretty poor showing to get 9% here. It kinda shows that election was a protest vote thing more than people wanting to give the man real power.

his visibility was terrible this time round, almost no exposure in north kildare, had a chance to sinch up more votes by driving home the concerns that made him popular in the presidential election but failed to capitalise on it. One good soundbyte about traveller criminality or being a candidate for people who actually work and he would have been alight with support.

I still think he'll get a lot of transfers and due to walsh and mchugh just being very meh candidates he has a slim chance, but the man could have done a lot more, especially considering his mostly rural constituency taking in a few counties that have particular issues with traveller fueds and crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

his visibility was terrible this time round, almost no exposure in north kildare, had a chance to sinch up more votes by driving home the concerns that made him popular in the presidential election but failed to capitalise on it. One good soundbyte about traveller criminality or being a candidate for people who actually work and he would have been alight with support.

I still think he'll get a lot of transfers and due to walsh and mchugh just being very meh candidates he has a slim chance, but the man could have done a lot more, especially considering his mostly rural constituency taking in a few counties that have particular issues with traveller fueds and crime.

How would he being an MEP have had any relevance on this train of thought?

It's like voting for someone because you think they support the same soccer team as you.

That's what I was thinking earlier. When you consider how stupid he was in the last week, it tells you he could definitely have got over the line were it not for his own foolishness.

I do not think Casey is a racist but saying the 'I'm a racist' as a way to say he is a proud Irishman is next level idiotic in a politics where soundbites are so important.

South results just in and SF could be under pressure again. If the transfer toxicity they're showing in Dublin stands, they're probably out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It's like voting for someone because you think they support the same soccer team as you.

That's how a lot of people vote, irrespective of the type of election. Sure look at the kinda crap candidates put forward as their mission/proposal, particularly in the locals

The reality is, from a legislature perspective none of the Irish meps can do much, if anything. Notwithstanding his good attendance and voting record, what has ming achieved in Brussels.

I will say Mairead McGuinness and Marian Harkin have done tremendous works for various causes while in Brussels, in terms of raising profiles for various issues, such as dementia, and have really championed the rights of those with dementia.
    However, legislatively there is little power.

Daly only 2k behind Andrews after count 12.

With 46k votes between White and Gannon she will surely bridge the gap easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

He was never really popular and the vote was always going to disappear in a real election. As you say soundbites may have gotten him over some meh candidates but that is all he has.

He is there as a troll. Not a proper candidate which is why he didn't campaign. It really is just him shouting at clouds as opposed to having a real policy.

in the same way as it would have had no impact from the presidential office but it shows the government the barometer of the country.

His stance on immigration does have relevance in the EU , but the other comments would be more about exposure. When it looked like the green party were going to green sweep it, leo came right out and said 'ok, we know what the people want' , if casey got elected to europe you hope they'd take the same kind of message home.

If we want to talk relevance , the amount of candidates we saw with 'help the homeless crisis' 'continue the work of repeal the 8th' from europe, complete twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

True, or at least they didn`t in 2014 in Midland North West, but with two of the seats going into cold storage due to Brexit, looks as if they are this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

As long as the SF leader pulls stunts like this, I wouldn’t entertain a SF candidate while she is leader.

Sinn.jpg

Advertisement