Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

True, but geographically, Rabbitte's transfers would be far more favourable to Walsh.
    Healy Eames might be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Where is everyon getting the latest counts?

Gavan Reilly on Twitter

Gavan Reilly on Twitter

And from him!

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1133115558105370625

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Deirdre Clune in severe difficulty in Ireland South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Gael23 wrote: »
    Delighted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Regardless of most people's political persuasion, I think most will agree that Saoirse McHugh iz fsr more capable and intelligent than both Peter Casey and Maria Walsh.

It will be a shame if she doesn't get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

True, but geographically, Rabbitte's transfers would be far more favourable to Walsh.

Geographically you would, as you would with Healy Eames with her being ex FG, but if Rabbitte`s vote is older conservative that could negate geography as could Healy Eames vote for the same reasons with her anti abortion platform

Regardless of most people's political persuasion, I think most will agree that Saoirse McHugh iz fsr more capable and intelligent than both Peter Casey and Maria Walsh.

I think she will take Matt Carthys seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

She has to pass out Byrne, so that his transfers put her ahead of Ni Riadh to take the seat.

Otherwise, it will be Byrne to take the seat ahead of Ni Riadh on FG transfers.

Wallace, Kelliher, O'Sullivan and Kelly to take the first four seats, with the last one between Byrne, Clune and Ni Riadh to take the last seat.

It would be funny if it was the elimination of Ni Riadh which decided whether Clune or Byrne got the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think she will take Matt Carthys seat.

She needs to get ahead of Casey soon, but she is 20k behind Carthy, it is a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

It's looking like he'll hold 3rd unless they count Boylan transfers.

Thats an interesting point. Normally they wouldn't since her elimination leaves four candidates for four seats - end of story. here however there is a real difference between third and fourth. Has this been allowed for in the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i think you could argue more politically educated , but she represents a very naive, city focussed understanding of how the world works, the kind bred from an upper middle class upbringing and having no experience of an under serviced non urban area. Her views are great for academic idealists with the means to live in donnybrook, not so much for somebody working in the big bad world living in athy.

Dublin may be wrapped up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Patser wrote: »
    What's the prognosis on McHugh? All weekend the exit polls had her flying high, and looking a cert, with her making grand announcements that she'd quit the Green party I'd they went into coalition with FG or FF. But now that the real numbers are out shes down in 6th. Is she likely to get transfers to get a seat?

She's from the same part of the world as myself.

Really nice girl from an even nicer family but her performance in front of the media over the weekend was cringe worthy.

Worrying about where she would live in Brussels before a box was opened along with what you outlined above will have her feeling very sheepish at the moment.

i think you could argue more politically educated , but she represents a very naive, city focussed understanding of how the world works, the kind bred from an upper middle class upbringing and having no experience of an under serviced non urban area. Her views are great for academic idealists with the means to live in donnybrook, not so much for somebody working in the big bad world living in athy.

shes born and reared on achill island

not even the good end of the island tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

padd b1975 wrote: »

Really nice girl from an even nicer family but her performance in front of the media over the weekend was cringe worthy.

Worrying about where she would live in Brussels before a box was opened along with what you outlined above will have her feeling very sheepish at the moment.

What's this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Isn’t she from Achil Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You would need a heart of stone not too feel sorry for her with how the media had talked up her chances over the weekend.
    I`m not a major fan of the Greens but in fairness to the girl she does come across as a true believer whereas the other two just come across as opportunists.

Born and raised on Achill Island FFS!

You couldn't get much farther removed from a city focused understanding.

So Ni Riada is in danger rather than Clune?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Andrews 'out transferred' Daly again. He has gone 4k ahead after White's transfers.
    It's looking like he'll hold 3rd unless they count Boylan transfers.

Just thinking about whether or not they count Boylan's transfers.

I'd imagine there's nothing in any of the election legislation to allow for the Brexit situation so they would just treat it like a normal 4 seater.

Still up in the air - Daly could overtake Andrews depending on how Gannon's transfers break.

What's this?

She said it in an interview half joking, half serious.

She really should have been schooled ad nauseam to keep saying no votes had been counted.

charlie14 wrote: »
    You would need a heart of stone not too feel sorry for her with how the media had talked up her chances over the weekend.
    I`m not a major fan of the Greens but in fairness to the girl she does come across as a true believer whereas the other two just come across as opportunists.
    You might have expected the party to guide her with all of that. She got caught up in the excitement of a poll apparently suddenly putting her in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Born and raised on Achill Island FFS!

You couldn't get much farther removed from a city focused understanding.

'the kind of views'
    I suppose living on an island you don't need a car or much in the way of infrastructure either. Regardless of where she's from, what she's peddling is little use outside the city (or a small island)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Do you actually know who you are talking about? What’s this city on Achill I haven’t heard about?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

So Ni Riada is in danger rather than Clune?
    Clune has some transfers to tap into from her running mate and probably from Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

To be fair to McHugh she did say she was half thinking where she’d live in Brussels and half saying she wouldn’t be elected anyway. And she only answered the question would she go into coalition with FFFG.

All it is is a little youthful exuberance. And imo some off the cuff honesty and remake beats the PR trained waffle we usually here (See a certain FG TD today on radio after her briefing from her PR man).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

She is a bit honest for a politician! I did find it cringy but it was at least how she felt. You could see the difference between her and Carty , even he seemed to be willing her to calm down a bit.

Give her a while and she will be better and can come back stronger for the experience. She went from a no hoper a little before the election to being told she likely had a seat and got a bit caught up in it all.

'the kind of views'
    I suppose living on an island you don't need a car or much in the way of infrastructure either. Regardless of where she's from, what she's peddling is little use outside the city (or a small island)

stop

will you stop

• Advertisement

The knives will come out in Sinn Fein if they lose 2 out of 3 seats in Europe.

Advertisement