Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She's from the same part of the world as myself.

Really nice girl from an even nicer family but her performance in front of the media over the weekend was cringe worthy.

Worrying about where she would live in Brussels before a box was opened along with what you outlined above will have her feeling very sheepish at the moment.

In fairness too her she is naive to the ways of the media and unlike the politically savvy, she answered their questions openly as if she was talking to a friend.
    Being open and honest, even if a bit naive, is nothing she should feel sheepish about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Just thinking about whether or not they count Boylan's transfers.

I'd imagine there's nothing in any of the election legislation to allow for the Brexit situation so they would just treat it like a normal 4 seater.

Still up in the air - Daly could overtake Andrews depending on how Gannon's transfers break.

Apparently they won't count Boylan's transfers but there is some discussion now if they will count Fitzgerald's 5.5k Surplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

'the kind of views' I suppose living on an island you don't need a car or much in the way of infrastructure either. Regardless of where she's from, what she's peddling is little use outside the city (or a small island)

Eric. Do a bit of research before coming out with stuff like this. You are projecting the stereotype of the Greens on to someone you know nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Gael23 wrote: »
    The knives will come out in Sinn Fein if they lose 2 out of 3 seats in Europe.

Their first preference share has nearly halved, going from 19.5% to 11.7%.

FF has also dropped from 22.31% to 16.5%.

The big winners in the European elections were actually FG, with their share going from 22.28% to 29.6%, which is even more than their 2009 vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Regardless of most people's political persuasion, I think most will agree that Saoirse McHugh iz fsr more capable and intelligent than both Peter Casey and Maria Walsh.

It will be a shame if she doesn't get a seat.

well most people who voted didn't agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Eric. Do a but if research before coming out with stuff like this. You are projecting the stereotype of the Greens in to someone you know nothing about.

ill admit, had no idea she was from an island, what she peddles you'd swear she was from dublin, but the same logic holds. 'person who has never needed a vehicle to get where they need to get and has never paid the taxes associated with one condemns people who do need one and wants them to pay more taxes for it'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Gael23 wrote: »
    The knives will come out in Sinn Fein if they lose 2 out of 3 seats in Europe.
    They lost so many of their council seats they will already be out. Boylan and Ni Riada going, Mary Lou goes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

She drives a car, would you stop embarassing yourself.

ill admit, had no idea she was from an island, what she peddles you'd swear she was from dublin, but the same logic holds. 'person who has never needed a vehicle to get where they need to get and has never paid the taxes associated with one condemns people who do need one and wants them to pay more taxes for it'

Again, do just a little research. Achill is Ireland's largest offshore island. it is however accessible by a bridge and has a large road network. joining its fairly dispersed population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

When will we know who gets the last mnw seat?

• Advertisement

Wednesday I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Probably Thursday at this rate and that's without recounts!

Wednesday I reckon
    Given that they have taken well over two hours and still haven't dealt with 811 votes of the first elimination that's optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

You had your logic before the facts and now you are trying to ram facts into that hole even if they don't fit.

Her profile mentions working in Clare and central america. Do we know if she used a car there? It seems likely enough given the level of public transport there. She is young but she is still 28 years old.

Do we have a quote for her condemning cars and all their use ever or is this more the same tactics against the green that we have had since the exit poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Apparently they won't count Boylan's transfers but there is some discussion now if they will count Fitzgerald's 5.5k Surplus.

I imagine that will be the order. Fitzgerald`s surplus followed by Boylan`s transfer in that they need to deal with Boylan`s transfers to determine third and fourth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I wonder if there is any possibility things might end up with an oul trip to the High Court, especially if they deviate from standard procedure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

They lost so many of their council seats they will already be out. Boylan and Ni Riada going, Mary Lou goes too.[/QUOTE

If it does turn out that way, the question would have to be asked would the outcome have been different if Gerry A was still SF leader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Will be Thursday for final results

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

That's all that's left to do isn't it?

Boylan is last candidate left not currently in a seat so they need to redistribute Gannons votes.

Count 3 finally done in MNW, Mickey Mouse quantities, and now on to the elimination of Patrick Greene with 1352 votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think it would be in SFs long term interest if Boylan and Liadh both got the road.

Add in several of the people in Leinster hse, their attitude to Tóibín was appalling, fine if you don't like the man, think he is wrong but being such obnoxious assholes backfired, again.

Reading Gramsci does not mean you have any relevance to the average voter, even, maybe especially SF voters.

God save us from hipster revolutionaries and upper Middle Class Anarcho feminists.

Stupid question but do they just eliminate the candidate and then look at the next preference, let's say 4th preference to get number of votes? What do they do if someone doesn't have another preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1133128402762903552?s=19

Drama regarding should boylans vote be split. FF Andrews unsurprisingly saying it shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Squatter wrote: »

Regardless of most people's political persuasion, I think most will agree that Saoirse McHugh iz fsr more capable and intelligent than both Peter Casey and Maria Walsh.

If she's both more intelligent and more capable than Casey, then I'm looking forward to reading about her making her first million.
    In fact I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

An alternative is that you've been smitten by her healthy outdoor girl good looks and are so besotted with her that you're posting rubbish!

Clearly a Casey fan given by your wild sweeping statements, jumping to conclusions and no idea of any facts.

As a straight woman, I'm pretty certain I'm far from smitten or besotted!

Stupid question but do they just eliminate the candidate and then look at the next preference, let's say 4th preference to get number of votes? What do they do if someone doesn't have another preference?
    Yes.
    It's considered non-transferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

mugsymugsy wrote: »

Drama regarding should boylans vote be split. FF Andrews unsurprisingly saying it shouldn't

RTE reporting the opposite from their live blog
    RTE wrote:
    There is currently a dispute in the RDS over the potential distribution of Sinn Féin MEP Lynn Boylan's votes in the event she is eliminated.

Her votes could determine whether Barry Andrews or Clare Daly take the third seat, or the fourth seat.

As we have said repeatedly, the fourth seat will only become active if and when Britain leave the EU.

The Andrews camp is calling for the distribution of the potential Boylan votes, while the Daly camp is against the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Non transferable vote, so yeah discarded basically. The net effect of a non transferable vote is to reduce the quota by 1.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes.

I've confused myself now....

Let's say 3 candidates have been eliminated. Do they look at all 4th preference votes and then get a % for each candidate? Then they dish out the number of votes using the % from the eliminated candidates votes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mugsymugsy wrote: »

It'll end up in the High Court yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes.

I've confused myself now....

Let's say 3 candidates have been eliminated. Do they look at all 4th preference votes and then get a % for each candidate? Then they dish out the number of votes using the % from the eliminated candidates votes?

There's no percent for eliminated candidates, all votes are transferred.

Advertisement