Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've confused myself now....

Let's say 3 candidates have been eliminated. Do they look at all 4th preference votes and then get a % for each candidate? Then they dish out the number of votes using the % from the eliminated candidates votes?
    Something along those lines but actual numbers of votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Clearly a Casey fan given by your wild sweeping statements, jumping to conclusions and no idea of any facts.

Nice to see that I'm not alone when it comes to the "jumping to conclusions" bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It'll end up in the High Court yet.

I've actually thought it all out and made a clear and cogent argument on it, in my own head, in the event of it looking like a court appearance I'll write it out and end it there and then.

So rule it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

There's no percent for eliminated candidates, all votes are transferred.

Do they just look at the 2nd preference for each candidate that was eliminated?

I don't understand it really. Wish there was a worked example somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Danzy wrote: »
    I've actually thought it all out and made a clear and cogent argument on it, in my own head, in the event of it looking like a court appearance I'll write it out and end it there and then.

So rule it out.

Looking at the Act itself it seems Daly doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1133131130373382145

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do they just look at the 2nd preference for each candidate that was eliminated?

I don't understand it really. Wish there was a worked example somewhere.
    This one is simple enough.
    https://spunout.ie/opinion/article/our-voting-system1

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Looking at the Act itself it seems Daly doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1133131130373382145

Interestingly I quoted at 18.41 from the Seanad debate on this where the Minister seemed to clearly state that the votes of Boylan in a situation like this would be distributed.However the reading of the Act would seem different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That could end up in court tomorrow. Boylans vote should be transfrred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

If Daly is looking for the boylan votes to be counted that seems to indicate Andrews is or will be ahead after Gannon’s redistribution?

is_that_so wrote: »

It doesn't tell me how the votes are transferred.

Let's say Jimmy was given 1000 transferred votes. Then eventually Jimmy is eliminated. How are his votes transferred? Do they look at his 2nd preference even if he's say the 5th candidate eliminated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So from what Gavan Reilly said on TV where normally in an election where they’d normally just elect the last person without reaching the quota is complicated because of brexit. Is that a fair summary ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Harkin saying on Twitter Smith likely to finish 5th with McHugh 6th.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So from what Gavan Reilly said on TV where normally in an election where they’d normally just elect the last person without reaching the quota is complicated because of brexit. Is that a fair summary ?

I think so.

Usually it's black and white, 4 people get seats so you wouldn't need to redistribute the 5th candidates votes as it makes no difference.

Really should have been clarified before the count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Let's say Jimmy was given 1000 transferred votes. Then eventually Jimmy is eliminated. How are his votes transferred? Do they look at his 2nd preference even if he's say the 5th candidate eliminated?

Let us say Jimmy started with 1000 votes. He gets 1000 transferred votes. he has 2000 votes from various sources.

If Jimmy is eliminated, then you look at the next preference on all of the 2000 votes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gael23 wrote: »

It could do but it's hard to see how a Judge could rule in favour of Daly. The Act has clear cut instructions for dealing with the scenario that has now arisen.

I don't see any reason for the Act to be declared unconstitutional either ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They look at the next preference that is still in play, whether thats 2nd, 3rd etc. By in play I mean if the 2nd pref is a candidate already elected or eliminated, you move down the ballot. I've worked enough counts in my time to have seen 12th and 13th preferences count for distribution.

badtoro wrote: »
    Harkin saying on Twitter Smith likely to finish 5th with McHugh 6th.
    What about Maria Walsh?

If that were to be tested by Daly or other taking a case, it certainly wouldn't be a rushed consideration. Mind you, Daly has time on her side with Brexit, Andrews could take the 3rd seat under a big asterisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What about Maria Walsh?

4th seat. Or so Ming reckons anyway.

https://twitter.com/lukeming/status/1133133173309739010

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If that were to be tested by Daly or other taking a case, it certainly wouldn't be a rushed consideration. Mind you, Daly has time on her side with Brexit, Andrews could take the 3rd seat under a big asterisk.

If the Act was declared unconstitutional then you would probably have to re-run all of the European Elections. I can't see that happening!

You're right about it not being a rushed consideration for a constitutional judgement, but I don't think it will come close to that anyway. The Court usually deals with applications relating to 'live' electoral cases swiftly so I don't think it will go on too long if it comes to that. Guess we will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

At the moment there are a set no of seats in existence that need to be filled, 3, there may be a 4th, there may be not, but it isn't there now.

They should proceed on the basis of what already is, not what may or may not be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

It could do but it's hard to see how a Judge could rule in favour of Daly. The Act has clear cut instructions for dealing with the scenario that has now arisen.

But the act is talking about a scenario whereby it doesn't matter who is 3rd or 4th as both are equally elected.
    In this case, 4th might possibly never get to take their seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

No it shouldn't.

The instant that she is declared eliminated, the count is over. Seat placings will be in the order that they were at when the final 3 candidates were left.

And, whether or not it goes to court, that's how it will end up.

Did Andrews reach the quota? He's not elected otherwise. I haven't seen numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What always puzzled me was exactly WHICH votes are re distributed when a candidate has exceeded the quota.

I gather it is a sample at random from the pile equal to the number of votes in excess of the quota. I think that's right. I hope the tallymen have their eyes peeled!

Of course he's elected. Its common in the Irish system to be deemed elected but not reaching the quota. Its 'last man standing' he has the next highest number of votes once all others are elected or eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You don`t need to reach a quota to be deemed elected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What always puzzled me was exactly WHICH votes are re distributed when a candidate has exceeded the quota.

I gather it is a sample at random from the pile equal to the number of votes in excess of the quota. I think that's right. I hope the tallymen have their eyes peeled!

Its the last votes off the stack (well, the required number from the last parcel, which brings in some randomness again); which can have a very significant distortion on where they came from

This is why there have been a few cases of other candidates requesting a recount when someone below them gets eliminated on a tiny margin as it could change where votes end up being.

The only difference is if its on the first count they count the lot and assign proportionally. Northern Ireland does this every time, and has fractional votes too.

Rather old but still accurate paper on how this can cause changes: http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/68751/v16n11984_1.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

charlie14 wrote: »
    You don`t need to reach a quota to be deemed elected

No but Clalre Dalys argument is that Bylaws transfers may see her surpass Andrews, is that not valid?

• Advertisement

But the act is talking about a scenario whereby it doesn't matter who is 3rd or 4th as both are equally elected.
    In this case, 4th might possibly never get to take their seat.

It doesn't matter if we think there's a chance that the 4th might not get to take up their seat. In the eyes of the law they will and therefore both Andrews and Daly are deemed elected. Under the law the count comes to an end once all seats have been filled, hence there is absolutely no room for Boylan's votes to be redistributed as a result. It would be unlawful to do so. That's my interpertation of the Act anyway (and the Electoral Act in general). Hard to see any other outcome.

Advertisement