Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

charlie14 wrote: »
    If it does then the whole shebang will have to be re-run I would imagine.

Someone said here earlier that either a senator or minister said there would be eliminations up to the final seat to determine placings. If the poster is correct and no legislative measure was put in place to nullify the European rules, and nobody seems to be able to point to any if there was, then it was very negligent and shambolic by this government.

It is the job of the Oireachtas to legislate, not the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

We are certainly sending some of our best and brightest this time around:

Claire Daily
    Mick Wallace
    Luke Flanagan

What has the EU done to deserve this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

https://twitter.com/SJTHolland/status/1133244269928603648

I guess Dubs and all Irish people will truely miss Lynn Boylans magnificent work on "period poverty". Then they wonder why they lost the working class and border area vote.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I guess Dubs and all Irish people will truely miss Lynn Boylans magnificent work on "period poverty". Then they wonder why they lost the working class and border area vote.....:rolleyes:

A bit unfair. Not left wing by any stretch and not a woman and not a SF fan, but if period poverty is an issue then she is right to champion addressing it. Lots of other failings to highlight ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Claire Daily
    Mick Wallace
    Luke Flanagan

Is Maria Walsh any better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Who knows? She probably gets a pass until she actually starts working as an MEP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Claire Daily
    Mick Wallace
    Luke Flanagan

They seem like much better public representatives than Francis Fitzgerald on her retirement tour of Brussels, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Is she any worse?

Did Maria Walsh defraud Revenue and profit from it?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They seem like much better public representatives than Francis Fitzgerald on her retirement tour of Brussels, imo.
    At least she will stay away! What odds Carthy, Wallace or Daly doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Surely th issue in Dublin has implications for Ireland South?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Surely th issue in Dublin has implications for Ireland South?

Direct implications, they cannot do one thing in one constituency and a different one in the other.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Who knows? She probably gets a pass until she actually starts working as an MEP.

I don't know. It's a bit like the clown who came to my door looking for my vote in the locals last week.
    I asked him, 'So what are your plans for my area? and his response was, 'Ah shure, I haven't even got elected yet!'

irishash wrote: »
    Is she any worse?

Did Maria Walsh defraud Revenue and profit from it?

Why? Did Daly and Flanagan?

A bit unfair. Not left wing by any stretch and not a woman and not a SF fan, but if period poverty is an issue then she is right to champion addressing it. Lots of other failings to highlight ...
    No it isn't an issue, and Sinn Fein voters clearly don't think so either. The tweeter Sarah Holland lost her council seat too .Voters must not understand the serious threat of "period poverty". Even the words are disgusting.

Now they're unemployed, maybe they should reflect on it, some how I doubt it though. Good riddance.

Why? Did Daly and Flanagan?

Deflect and no answer to my question.

No - Daly and Flanagan did not defraud Revenue and profit from it. I don't have any ill will towards Ming, could not care less about Daly.

Wallace should have been kicked out of the Dail.

At least she will stay away! What odds Carthy, Wallace or Daly doing so?

The odds are extremely high that all are in Brussels during parliamentary session. The EU Parliament strongly incentivise attendance as it is linked to awards of expense and staff allowances.

The difference is that Daly / Carthy / Ming (who’s already been doing this) are likely to feedback on their work via social media and engage with their constituents during their term.

The odds are extremely high that all are in Brussels during parliamentary session. The EU Parliament strongly incentivise attendance as it is linked to awards of expense and staff allowances.

The difference is that Daly / Carthy / Ming (who’s already been doing this) are likely to feedback on their work via social media and engage with their constituents during their term.
    I mean return to contest the GE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How out of touch can one be?

Many SF cumanns are too closely controlled and guarded by progressive purists, who fret about the movement being flooded with hoi polloi who might not be fully on message.

Cumanns can feel like closer shops, where unless you are radical left, your out on a loop.

This is not a reference to ex-Army members etc, they were often the most welcoming and accessible, the younger hipster types can be ****ing ridiculous in their rigidity and need for ideological purity though out.

Relax a bit,

The difference between Dublin SF and rural SF is massive, the dislike of people who have wrong think, no matter how small, the

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No it isn't an issue, and Sinn Fein voters clearly don't think so either. The tweeter Sarah Holland lost her council seat too .Voters must not understand the serious threat of "period poverty". Even the words are disgusting.

Now they're unemployed, maybe they should reflect on it, some how I doubt it though. Good riddance.

SF is better for their loss.

I mean return to contest the GE!

Carthy might. The rest definitely won’t.

Wallace / Daly will try and get assistants elected in their stead in the upcoming by elections for their Dail seats. They’ll then probably try and use the stability and resources of the half decade Brussels platform to push their message forward - well Daly certainly will.

Brussels pays better, offers better facilities and resources, and is a locked in 5 year term. Carthy will try to get a border seat as it matters more to his cause, but the rest won’t be running for a Dail seat before 2024 at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am not sure this election showed that SF would have been much better going over to the right. I mean it isn't like right wing politicians are getting elected either.

I reckon more credible left wing options with less terrorism links is hurting them.

Carthy might. The rest definitely won’t.

Wallace / Daly will try and get assistants elected in their stead in the upcoming by elections for their Dail seats. They’ll then probably try and use the stability and resources of the half decade Brussels platform to push their message forward - well Daly certainly will.

Brussels pays better, offers better facilities and resources, and is a locked in 5 year term. Carthy will try to get a border seat as it matters more to his cause, but the rest won’t be running for a Dail seat before 2024 at the earliest.
    Paul Murphy did come back , which is why I wonder about the two Indos. I expect Carthy for sure. Think their seats could go elsewhere in a bye-election as there is a lot of personal vote for both.

Deflect and no answer to my question.

No - Daly and Flanagan did not defraud Revenue and profit from it. I don't have any ill will towards Ming, could not care less about Daly.

Wallace should have been kicked out of the Dail.

Cannot and did not vote for Wallace and yes he did allegedly 'fvuk up his tax', however. he still fits the criteria for Dail and EU elections so no different to the FG/FF cllrs who also got re elected for 'dodgy' carry on. Wrong on all counts.

Danzy wrote: »
    SF is better for their loss.
    Exactly, the worst thing they ever done was letting these moonbat feminists takeover. They belong in the Labour party. They'll probably join it soon, they are careerists. The last time I voted Sinn Fein, the candidate subsequently quit when she didn't get her way on everything. A massive #repealthe8th type, then joined Fianna Fail.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

RTE had Ming written off all weekend. Some state broadcaster they are.
    suddenly he's second and it was never in doubt

Kinda goes along with the narrative from the past 4 years when RTE never gave Ming any sort of a platform to show what work he has been doing

Cannot and did not vote for Wallace and yes he did allegedly 'fvuk up his tax', however. he still fits the criteria for Dail and EU elections so no different to the FG/FF cllrs who also got re elected for 'dodgy' carry on. Wrong on all counts.

Allegedly??? He admitted it, settled with revenue, came up with all manner of excuses to defend his behaviour.

As far as I am concerned Maria Walsh is a better person to be elected based on what Wallace has done in the past, and a long way from your statement of "the worst"

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am not sure this election showed that SF would have been much better going over to the right. I mean it isn't like right wing politicians are getting elected either.

I reckon more credible left wing options with less terrorism links is hurting them.
    Their links to the provos aren't hurting them. They had far more links 5-10 years ago and were doing better electorally. People who care about that will never vote SF one way or the other. They are losing their republican, working class voters. People who stood in the rain canvassing for 30 years, getting abuse from people. Many of them have gone. They don't care about "period poverty" or transgender rights, in fact it puts them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Their links to the provos aren't hurting them. They had far more links 5-10 years ago and were doing better electorally. People who care about that will never vote SF one way or the other.

They are losing their republican, working class voters. People who stood in the rain canvassing for 30 years, getting abuse from people. Many of them have gone. They don't care about "period poverty" or transgender rights, in fact it puts them off.

The only people who really give a crap about those things are college students who often don’t vote. Its not a line worth chasing. As we saw from rita harrold who did worse than gemma odoherty or ben gilroy, its just not an issue for the working or middle class in Ireland. Its exclusively a small section of people who have no other concerns except petty social issues

Allegedly??? He admitted it, settled with revenue, came up with all manner of excuses to defend his behaviour.

As far as I am concerned Maria Walsh is a better person to be elected based on what Wallace has done in the past, and a long way from your statement of "the worst"

The initial post referred to two other candidates also, which you have conceded did not defraud anyone. I agree, Wallace is a wrong choice. And I did not state that Walsh is the worst, I asked was she any better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

RTE had Ming written off all weekend. Some state broadcaster they are.
    suddenly he's second and it was never in doubt

Kinda goes along with the narrative from the past 4 years when RTE never gave Ming any sort of a platform to show what work he has been doing

Ming didn't turn up to Strasbourg for something like 18 months.

Advertisement