Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Their links to the provos aren't hurting them. They had far more links 5-10 years ago and were doing better electorally. People who care about that will never vote SF one way or the other. They are losing their republican, working class voters. People who stood in the rain canvassing for 30 years, getting abuse from people. Many of them have gone. They don't care about "period poverty" or transgender rights, in fact it puts them off.

It was one example from a decent sized list. Evidently people care enough to complain about it. I hear more complaints about pc stuff than I hear about pc stuff these days. Every major party has gone that way as they have and to get votes.

There are more options with social Democrats, resurgent greens, pbp if you want to go further left. Labour had skimped on their base and they took advantage. Did they have a voter base 30 years ago in the south? Did they have candidates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ming didn't turn up to Strasbourg for something like 18 months.

A very sick wife by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fann Linn wrote: »
    A very sick wife by all accounts.

Some sympathy is due on that score, but if most people's wives are ill and require care, they have to take unpaid leave.

When you are in a job representing other people like he was, you just can't disappear for 18 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Some sympathy is due on that score, but if most people's wives are ill and require care, they have to take unpaid leave.

When you are in a job representing other people like he was, you just can't disappear for 18 months.
    Why do you continually bring up Mings ill wife? Really pathetic stuff you know the story, it's about half a dozen times you've done so. Typical blueshirt the heart of a stone and arrogance and lack of empathy that would make Trump blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Ming didn't turn up to Strasbourg for something like 18 months.

Think I read something about that earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

The initial post referred to two other candidates also, which you have conceded did not defraud anyone. I agree, Wallace is a wrong choice. And I did not state that Walsh is the worst, I asked was she any better?

Sorry - it was another poster that stated Walsh was the worst ever - you both have pink avatars.

Is she any better? Well, yes, better than Wallace, based purely on the tax fraud. As for the other 2, we will have to wait and see - Judge her after 5 years. It is her first major political win.

So you must really hate Brian Crowley then??

Why do you continually bring up Mings ill wife? Really pathetic stuff you know the story, it's about half a dozen times you've done so. Typical blueshirt the heart of a stone and arrogance and lack of empathy that would make Trump blush.

For a start, I am not a blueshirt.

Because it was wrong to claim all that money for doing nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I work in a job that pays me full pay for 6 months and half pay for six months if I was ill. If my job's t&cs paid me the same for a sick spouse would it be wrong to avail of it, if the illness was genuine?

irishash wrote: »
    So you must really hate Brian Crowley then??

Don't get me started on that. The man pulled the wool over the eyes of the Irish public for over a decade.

• Advertisement

I work in a job that pays me full pay for 6 months and half pay for six months if I was ill. If my job's t&cs paid me the same for a sick spouse would it be wrong to avail of it, if the illness was genuine?

Except his job doesn't pay him that for a sick spouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

For a start, I am not a blueshirt.

Because it was wrong to claim all that money for doing nothing.

A lot of former TDs etc.. get pensions after they exit politics - I suppose you could say there getting money for nothing there as well.

His wife's illness was out of his control so I'd have empathy for him in that situation.

marvin80 wrote: »
    A lot of former TDs etc.. get pensions after they exit politics - I suppose you could say there getting money for nothing there as well.

His wife's illness was out of his control so I'd have empathy for him in that situation.

I have sympathy for that, but I have more sympathy for the many other people I know who had to take unpaid leave or give up jobs to care for loved ones.

Fair play to the man for looking after his wife, shame on him for taking an exorbitant wage off the taxpayer for doing so. If it happened to me, I would end up on carer's allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tell that to brian crowley, 9 years he disappeared for, he went for re-elecetion in the 2014 and won after claiming he was better yet still was a no show for the entire of his last term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't get me started on that. The man pulled the wool over the eyes of the Irish public for over a decade.
    Jesus christ the figures in this article are astonishing to be honest!
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mep-brian-crowley-to-get-350k-payout-and-14m-pension-922255.html

VinLieger wrote: »
    Tell that to brian crowley, 9 years he disappeared for, he went for re-elecetion in the 2014 and won after claiming he was better yet still was a no show for the entire of his last term

I cannot understand how anyone voted for him. We have been badly served by a number of our MEPs over the years, with Crowley the worst and Ming not far behind, not to mention MGQ.

Hopefully the gravy train will allow Wallace to settle all his tax debts in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

VinLieger wrote: »

I cannot understand how anyone voted for him. We have been badly served by a number of our MEPs over the years, with Crowley the worst and Ming not far behind, not to mention MGQ.

Hopefully the gravy train will allow Wallace to settle all his tax debts in one go.

This time sink again, on ignore you go.

By MGQ, I am guessing you mean Máire Geoghegan-Quinn?

She never ran for European Election, nor was ever a commissioner. She was appointed to the European Court of Auditors by the government in 2000 and served for 10 years.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He still turned up for 95% of votes.

Seriously this myth about Ming not turning up is getting boring now. His wife was very ill. I think he's allowed that pass.

EDIT: To add to this, he missed about 5-6 months worth of votes, not 18 months as you grossly incorrectly expressed. He was back in the European Parliament at the beginning of 2015.

He missed about 6 months and still only Sean Kelly attended more votes than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wouldn't have voted for her but Lynn Boylan did the state some service with her media ownership in Ireland report she got the Commission to publish. No other MEP touched it, certainly none from FFG. I remember the Indo reporting on it listed out all the atrocities perpetrated by the IRA as a rebuttal, which kind of sums Ireland up in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

FF calling for a recount of Count 14 which was the distribution of White's votes i think

Faugheen wrote: »
    He still turned up for 95% of votes.

Seriously this myth about Ming not turning up is getting boring now. His wife was very ill. I think he's allowed that pass.

Just to put to bed what Irish MEP's have been doing in Strasbourg over the past 5 years....

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

This will not go down well with people here but I feel sorry for Crowley. I can tell you, as I went through to a minor degree, he was thinking of all that great wage. I am sure he would have given up all of it if it made him healthy. Just hope it does not happen to you.

Yes he should have not contested the last election but I say at the time he did not think the hell he was going through would last. I will also concede his Sub should have taken over.

From my meetings of him in disability conferences and out he is very committed to the people he serves which is his downfall as he wanted to finish. While I certainly no fan of Ming I but his wife needed him and that was all in his thoughts I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What was Childers reason for doing practically nothing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

This will not go down well with people here but I feel sorry for Crowley. I can tell you, as I went through to a minor degree, he was thinking of all that great wage. I am sure he would have given up all of it if it made him healthy. Just hope it does not happen to you.

Yes he should have not contested the last election but I say at the time he did not think the hell he was going through would last. I will also concede his Sub should have taken over.

From my meetings of him in disability conferences and out he is very committed to the people he serves which is his downfall as he wanted to finish. While I certainly no fan of Ming I but his wife needed him and that was all in his thoughts I say

Nahhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Outside of Dublin. When are the next counts expected?

Plus in this day and age, with communication technology, I would wager that Ming was still working from his home on the issues he wanted to bring up and fight for. I doubt he was sitting on his tod watching Jeremy Kyle (RIP).

BTW - No big fan of Ming but even I can see that he has somewhat matured as a politician over the years and the stats speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Indeed - even this week, his tally team appear to be remarkably accurate as to how the transfers and counts are progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Christy42 wrote: »
    Outside of Dublin. When are the next counts expected?

They are ongoing all day, just completed Count 5 in MNW and Count 7 in South. All the information is out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Am I failing to see what Andrews is in requesting the recount of Count 14 alone - its unlikely to change by more than a few votes any direction?

edit: decent suggestion on Twitter is that they want to try see where the Fitzgerald surplus will go seeing as it'll be that bundle of votes. Very hard to try tally that with some papers already going to be multiple preferences in.

Advertisement