Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God im itching to see where McHughs transfers went, results are meant to be coming in soon

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Sounds like Clune is raking in transfers from Doyle and Labour candidate. Funny how Labour transfer so much to Fine Gael, says it all about them.

Have you a source for this?

Any idea what %?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Anything going on in Ireland South?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Alex White transferred 50% of his vote to Francis Fitzgerald in Dublin
    The majority of Dominic Hannigan's votes were non transferable with McGuinnes already elected

Labour are not a party of the left in their behaviours or those of their voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The majority of Dominic Hannigan's votes were non transferable with McGuinnes already elected

Hannigan transferred 3.5k to the bin, but 3.1k to McHugh and 1.3k to Carthy; and the rest of the Left were already gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

VinLieger wrote: »
    God im itching to see where McHughs transfers went, results are meant to be coming in soon
    Doubt they went to Casey and should be enough for Smith to get past him. That said if it's tight ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

https://twitter.com/davitter/status/1133718646507880449

No mention of Ni Riada so Grace may over take her.
    Also how big is the mountain of transfers to Clune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Danzy wrote: »
    Lol, self pity dripping off you.

Can you now stop derailing the count thread with whatever ramblings or obsessions you have.

Its Wednesday afternoon, the vote happened on Friday last, the count is still going on and I am derailing this thread by questioning perhaps there is a better way to count or sort votes.

An irony explosion there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anything going on in Ireland South?

Follow this lads tweets: https://twitter.com/davitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

swampgas wrote: »

Paper voting is mature, understood, reliable, and trusted. Everything e-voting would not be if introduced.

Cute image and all but you can say the same about cash 30 years ago. Yet, we are fast going down the road of a cashless society.

To me, the problem is more mental than technological, kind of like self-driving cars when they mature in the next decade.

I am not saying either one is 100% mature right now, but the idea that we cannot even question paper voting as if Moses himself came down from Mount Sinai and proclaimed it sacred, to me is weirdly amusing.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Its Wednesday afternoon, the vote happened on Friday last, the count is still going on and I am derailing this thread by questioning perhaps there is a better way to count or sort votes.

Well you're clearly not reading what others have pointed out. This Euro election counting did not start until Sunday.

You are still failing to adequately explain why the length of time is a problem? Beyond your abstract non answer reasoning of long = bad, short = good.

Cute image and all but you can say the same about cash 30 years ago. Yet, we are fast going down the road of a cashless society.

To me, the problem is more mental than technological, kind of like self-driving cars when they mature in the next decade.

I am not saying either one is 100% mature right now, but the idea that we cannot even question paper voting as if Moses himself came down from Mount Sinai and proclaimed it sacred, to me is weirdly amusing.

Well you see theres this tiny small kinda important thing called public trust in the democratic voting process.....

Paper voting is 100% trusted bar the odd conspiracy theorist thanks to as swampgras explained many of the bugs and problems being ironed out over a very long time and the vast majority of people can understand how it works, e-voting quite simply is not again for reasons Swampgras quite eloquently explained.

Introducing it before it can be shown to be at least as trust worthy as paper voting could seriously damage trust in voting and the entire democratic process which would not be a good thing.

We have a system that offers us complete confidence in the democratic process. That's the most important point. So what if it takes a few days. MEP elections are the worst due to the size of the constituencies and the volume of candidates. Even presidential elections aren't as bad because we never have more than a handful of candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭swampgas

Lots of people have questioned, and continue to question, alternative voting methodologies. Nobody is refusing to consider e-voting.

Paper voting isn't broken. It might be a little slow, but on the key considerations that should apply to voting, it excels: it's anonymous, reliable, accurate and transparent.

I get it: you're probably a programmer and are looking for a cool technical solution to the problem. However sometimes adding technology makes the problem worse, not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

An iro

The vote day is irrelevant when the counting could only begin when the polls closed on Sunday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

MNW Count 12

Carthy + 6,571 = 91,396
    Casey + 3,358 = 69,923
    Flanagan + 15,441 = 112,760
    Smith + 4,145 = 68,677
    Walsh + 15,825 = 96,163

Carthy v Casey! Walsh safe in 3rd seat and Ming may not reach the quota.

is_that_so wrote: »
    MNW Count 12

Carthy + 6,571 = 91,396
    Casey + 3,358 = 69,923
    Smith + 4,145 = 68,677
    Walsh + 15,825 = 96,163

Thanks for that.

Casey isn't making up 21.5k votes imo.

Wow that was close, cannot believe Smith wasn't able to jump casey, very disappointing for FF, seriously shouldn't have run 2 candidates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

MNW Count 12

Carthy + 6,571 = 91,396
    Casey + 3,358 = 69,923
    Smith + 4,145 = 68,677
    Walsh + 15,825 = 96,163

Casey might do well in transfers from Smith, but very very hard to see a 21,500 overall swing for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wow that was close, cannot believe Smith wasn't able to jump casey, very disappointing for FF, seriously shouldn't have run 2 candidates

Or maybe it was a genius strategy to boost the profile for next GE and two seats in the Dail... if I were MM I'd rather have 2 in the Dail than 1 in Brussels.
    Or I could be over thinking it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

osarusan wrote: »
    Casey might do well in transfers from Smith, but very very hard to see a 21,500 overall swing for him.

Yeah i doubt that. But it says a hell of a lot that he beat all of those other candidates to stay at 5th there. If he somehow managed to topple the shinner that would be some result alright. Would have gladly heen happy for smith to knock walsh off her pew but sure here we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Casey will do well but no chance he is picking up 21.5k extra. Carthy may transfer well from Smith too seeing as they come from similar area..something that's been noticeable at least in this constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

osarusan wrote: »
    MNW Count 12

Carthy + 6,571 = 91,396
    Casey + 3,358 = 69,923
    Smith + 4,145 = 68,677
    Walsh + 15,825 = 96,163

In fairness to Ming he called this from a long way out.Casey has no chance of overturning the deficit...it's clearcut McG,Ming ,Walsh and Carthy...Not sure who'll occupy third and who'll be fourth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

12% of the vote in a block of the country that was as solid FF as one could find.

MM can forget about being Taoiseach. His successor can forget about it as well on figures like that.

There are lots of specifics and caveats to add in to that number but in a party who views itself as a party to lead a Govt is 20%+ behind its opponent, it's on 12%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think if Smith had jumped over Casey He'd have benefited more from Casey transfers than Casey will from Smith.

Either way, as Ming has repeatedly been saying, this has been over since the first count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

https://twitter.com/davitter/status/1133738628306350080

Looking good for the greens in South

Edit: here is count 16 results
    481429.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

South Vote is in.
    O'Sullivan jumps above Ni Riada for the first time.

Clune now just 2,000 behind Ni Riada with just Malcolm Byrne (FF) 80k to be transferred.

Only 3,500 separate O'Sullivan, Kelleher, Ni Riada and Clune for the 3rd-5th seats.

Obviously Kelleher will be safe but it will be tight for the last 3 seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

There we are a z-list celebrity bluffer about to be elected mad stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In fairness to Ming he called this from a long way out.Casey has no chance of overturning the deficit...it's clearcut McG,Ming ,Walsh and Carthy...Not sure who'll occupy third and who'll be fourth?
    He got the order wrong though.

Advertisement