Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

is_that_so wrote: »
    I didn't think he was ever in danger. Walsh's support level surprised me as I had originally expected her to come in that 6-8% bracket and I saw this more as a profile raising exercise for the GE. At 10% she was always going to be in it.

He was in danger if the exit poll was correct but with him being way understated and Mc Hugh overstated then he was comfortable.

However what I liked was his willingness to say that Walsh would be definitely be elected while others were making a case for Casey/Mc Hugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

robman60 wrote: »
    Where did you see that? I thought no way they would get a salary straight away - they don't even have a job unless the seat frees up. :confused:

An MEP's salary is based on that of a TD so if it was TD elected they wouldnt get a salary, im not sure non TDs are entitled to one either

robman60 wrote: »
    What is she even qualified in professionally? Whatever about the eejits that run normally, at least there is some political, business, or even real life experience of working in the community in some capacity.

Whats your point? Afaik she worked in PR in the USA and is self employed in the same field here now. I not a supporter of hers but i think your charge is a little unfair. Do you not want younger people involved in politics? they all have to start somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He was in danger if the exit poll was correct but with him being way understated and Mc Hugh overstated then he was comfortable.

However what I liked was his willingness to say that Walsh would be definitely be elected while others were making a case for Casey/Mc Hugh.
    My only question with the exit poll was where McHugh was going to get transfers. She only got about 10000 in the end. We know he can get them. Never entertained Casey as I believed him to be transfer toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

An MEP's salary is based on that of a TD so if it was TD elected they wouldnt get a salary, im not sure non TDs are entitled to one either

Whats your point? Afaik she worked in PR in the USA and is self employed in the same filed here now. I not a supporter of hers but i think your charge is a little unfair. Do you not want younger people involved in politics? they all have to start somewhere

Do you want their starting point to be a member of the European parliament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

ligerdub wrote: »

Yeah might be worth her doing some council work or working for an MEP for a year or two. Will be interesting to look what she does over in Brussels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What security issues arise with the current system that this would improve on?

And shouldn't you really have some idea of the cost of the current system before you can say that the new one would be better?

Most counters finished on Sunday or Monday BTW, with much smaller teams hanging round for the remaining tasks.

If the voter can verify their vote afterwards, then you are opening up vote selling and duress voting.

If they can't verify, you have an opaque system with no transparency.

Look, it is not gonna happen anyway....after Bertie's experience, no Taoiseach is gonna touch it with a barge pole if the requiment is expecting the general public to understand Blockchain technology.

But hypothetically, Blockchain would make it possible to perform vote verification - it doesn't mean it has to be made available to anyone without any anonymity of who the voter was. That's not my decision!

Vote verification / count accuracy isn't available on the paper system - so it is an even more opaque system than one with digital traceability would be - I can't walk into the count center in Cork and demand to see my paper to verify that it arrived, be able to identify it and ensure it has been placed in the correct piles throughout the vote transfer procedure (refer to the way recounts often throw up a different number). Blockchain would at least make it possible for me to trace that and have it open for discussion as to whether it is wise to enable it. And it would certainly allow me to personally check the veracity of the result with inspection of anonymized counting if I wanted, without having to hang around a count center if I happened to have a spare 100 hours or to do so in the case of the EU election!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ligerdub wrote: »

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Whats your point? Afaik she worked in PR in the USA and is self employed in the same field here now. I not a supporter of hers but i think your charge is a little unfair. Do you not want younger people involved in politics? they all have to start somewhere

I`m all for young people getting involved in politics, but for the sake of their constituents I feel they should gain some experience in politics or community development first rather than be parachuted into a contest for a job representing a European constituency without either.
    For me anyway it feel more "I`m a celebrity, get me out of here" than politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'd be more surprised if Clune didn't overtake LNR, given there's only 2,000 in the difference, and 80,000 to play for - granted, most will go to Kelleher and Wallace, but ample votes left over.

It is very close. What isn't clear is whether the 6,000 from Doyle to Byrne were Wexford FG votes going temporarily to Byrne before going back to Clune, or whether they were Wexford only votes which will head to Wallace. That chunk of Byrne's vote could decide whether Clune catches Ni Riadh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

charlie14 wrote: »
    I`m all for young people getting involved in politics, but for the sake of their constituents I feel they should gain some experience in politics or community development first rather than be parachuted into a contest for a job representing a European constituency without either.
    For me anyway it feel more "I`m a celebrity, get me out of here" than politics.

I'm sure people were making the same argument about Ear To The Ground presenter Mairead McGuinness 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm sure people were making the same argument about Ear To The Ground presenter Mairead McGuinness 15 years ago.

Who is now widely considered a very strong politician irrespective of political loyalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You need to have all the votes together when distributing surpluses or votes of eliminated candidates.

But all the presidential was not done in 1 place it was done per county. Now I know in the last it did not matter. You can do the counts collate each centres results to 1 place for the results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Well my point is she is landing into the European Parliament with seemingly no background to indicate she will be any good at the job. The TV debates showed she has a few soundbites about 'my generation and those coming after', but no substance.

And no, I don't want young people involved in politics if they have nothing to offer. Even an academic background of relevance would be something. I say that as someone nearly ten years younger than her too.

McGuinness had the agricultural background which is one of, if not the most important European issue for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is very close. What isn't clear is whether the 6,000 from Doyle to Byrne were Wexford FG votes going temporarily to Byrne before going back to Clune, or whether they were Wexford only votes which will head to Wallace. That chunk of Byrne's vote could decide whether Clune catches Ni Riadh.

I'd be guessing the latter. You'd think people whose primary loyalty was to party would vote 1-2-3 FG in whatever order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Openside11

I'd be guessing the latter. You'd think people whose primary loyalty was to party would vote 1-2-3 FG in whatever order.

Party loyalty is becoming a thing of the past outside actual party members and you have to factor in this is a second order election so people feel there's less of a penalty for voting outside the norm as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would be FG (not ideal but best aligned for now) and Kelly and Clune were no 1 and 2 in 2014, 4 and 5 this year. National and local they would get no 1 from me until something better comes along.

I think SF will just hold it but reguardless very bad for Mary Loo having a standby MEP and losing one. SF were only delighted with there strong Brexit voice in Europe, voters differ on that strong voice today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why would they have been?
    McGuinness spent years working on Ear To The Ground where week in week out she was reporting on farming issues and the problems farmers were having before she stood for the EU election to represent a predominately rural constituency.
    Winning the Rose of Tralee on TV may, like McGuinness, give you some name recognition with voters, but unlike McGuinness and Ear To The Ground it`s of no value to her constituents in Brussels.

Leo just tweeted about "cuig"...meaning he thinks that Clune has got ahead of Ni Riadh...

He surely must know it from their tallypeople.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll tell you what's weird, I travel all over the mnw constituency and talk to loads of people and to this point I have not met one person who admits to voting for Walsh.
    There's been a fair few say they voted for McGuinness, Ming and Carthy. A lot who said they gave a vote but not necessarily a no.1 to McHugh. I was discussing this with friends and they all say the same thing as regards Walsh. Anyone in the area talked to anyone who voted for Walsh. Why are people not admitting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My vote would be on Walsh's pile now, after a lengthy journey around others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

An ungracious exit by Casey ("Ming the muppet".) What a poor loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Leo just tweeted about "cuig"...meaning he thinks that Clune has got ahead of Ni Riadh...

He surely must know it from their tallypeople.

Literally cracking out the champagne emoji!

http://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1133791535009599488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

A silly Tory country we are. A low turnout was music to his ears.

If it is correct 5 seats in the euros and an increase of 20 in the locals would have been at the upper end of expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Don't like Leo or his party but will ya get over yourself and stop sucking lemons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Danzy wrote: »
    Don't like Leo or his party but will ya get over yourself and stop sucking lemons.

Hardly - just seems premature until the count is formly declared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hardly - just seems premature until the count is formly declared.

That is true as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grace O'Sullivan getting hampered by lack of transfers from the last counts So it'll be just the one Green and the government can put all that environment stuff on the back burner for the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Very surprised that after count 17, Clune has jumped into the 4th seat

Kelleher now elected and 11,786 surplus being distributed which might see Ni Riada close the gap of 522 on O'Sullivan. It should be very close between which one gets the cold storage seat! Ni Riada should narrow the gap at least.

Advertisement