Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

golfball37 wrote: »
    3 Europe seats? Carty held on

I was going to say, wasn't it 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

3 Europe seats? Carty held on

Subs bench only. Not likely to ever be used, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,740 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SNIP. No more trolling please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Subs bench only. Not likely top ever be used, imo.

There was no Brexit seat in MNW. All four are in champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

robman60 wrote: »
    Peadar who? Tóibín? Sure they booted him and sent a lot of the grassroots with him.

I would have thought Ó'Bróin was part of the problem rather than the solution. By all accounts he is one of the leaders of the 'let's make SF a feminist party'. Not sure if his constitutional right to housing stunt would go down well, but it was a pure stunt as far as I'm concerned.

FFS, that is probably the third time this weekend* I wrote Peadar when I meant Pearse.
    Subs bench only. Not likely to ever be used, imo.

All 4 seats in MNW are direct - Carthy is in.

*for the strange electoral weekend that lasts until Wednesday evening, that is. Or tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's weird, I travel all over the mnw constituency and talk to loads of people and to this point I have not met one person who admits to voting for Walsh.
    There's been a fair few say they voted for McGuinness, Ming and Carthy. A lot who said they gave a vote but not necessarily a no.1 to McHugh. I was discussing this with friends and they all say the same thing as regards Walsh. Anyone in the area talked to anyone who voted for Walsh. Why are people not admitting it?

Well, that’s presumably still a small sample of people, even if you know people all over the constituency. I know people who gave her their 1 or 2.

There was no Brexit seat in MNW. All four are in champions league

Sorry. Yea. Brain fart from me there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He's a Scot though, born in Glasgow :D
    He wouldn't be the first Sinn Fein Scot I supposed!

Nothing wrong with that, my two sons are born in Glasgow :D

Wasn't Pat Doherty born in Glasgow as well, there are plenty Donegal connections, not so much Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

L1011 wrote: »
    FFS, that is probably the third time this weekend* I wrote Peadar when I meant Pearse.

All 4 seats in MNW are direct - Carthy is in.

*for the strange electoral weekend that lasts until Wednesday evening, that is. Or tomorrow morning.

Longer than the morning - don't forget the votes of sixth in Ireland South must be distributed to decide the "Brexit seat".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This South MEP election is absolutely fascinating.

If SF's Ni Riada loses, it would be a disaster for them. She was a cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

SF lost 2 MEPs, I was wrong in my earlier post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,225 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So looking at the rte results page for the south constituency would I be right in thinking the FF candidate Malcolm Bryne's votes are being distributed ? How is Deirdre Clune is forth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I wonder did SF lose sone popularity coz of all the guff about their Westminster absence policy. There was an awful lot of people who had an awful lot to say about it but I don’t remember very many senior SFers coming out defending their positions publically.

Just a theory

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So looking at the rte results page for the south constituency would I be right in thinking the FF candidate Malcolm Bryne's votes are being distributed ? How is Deirdre Clune is forth ?

No. That's been done. Kelleher's 12k surplus is currently being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I wonder did SF lose sone popularity coz of all the guff about their Westminster absence policy. There was an awful lot of people who had an awful lot to say about it but I don’t remember very many senior SFers coming out defending their positions publically.

Just a theory
    Their main focus for the last 9 months is repeatedly calling for a border poll
    They forgot about actual real politics

It's very possible that SF and GP are within a few hundred votes of each other. Maybe even a few dozen.

Both O'Sullivan and Ní Ríada have said they'd pursue one if the margin persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just a theory

Extremely unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No hope of getting those electronic voting machines out of storage? :D

https://web.archive.org/web/20120717031609/http://www.electronicvoting.ie/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Is there any chance of an announcement of the distribution of Kelliher's excess tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Look, it is not gonna happen anyway....after Bertie's experience, no Taoiseach is gonna touch it with a barge pole if the requiment is expecting the general public to understand Blockchain technology.
    Politically, you are correct - there is no appetite for this at all for a generation - but that doesn't mean that it's not worth exploring and understanding options.

But hypothetically, Blockchain would make it possible to perform vote verification - it doesn't mean it has to be made available to anyone without any anonymity of who the voter was. That's not my decision!
    But if it is made available in any way to the individual voter, than that voter can sell their vote, or can be forced under duress to vote in a particular way. There is a good reason why you don't get a receipt or equivalent for your ballot paper. A receipt that confirmed your vote, whether a paper receipt or a receipt through some online blockchain verification, that creates the opening for vote selling or duress voting.

And if there is no verification, then the voter has no way of knowing if their vote was recorded.

It's a Catch 22. It's not a technology problem. It is just the requirement for anonymity is impossible to implement in an auditable way.

Vote verification / count accuracy isn't available on the paper system - so it is an even more opaque system than one with digital traceability would be - I can't walk into the count center in Cork and demand to see my paper to verify that it arrived, be able to identify it and ensure it has been placed in the correct piles throughout the vote transfer procedure (refer to the way recounts often throw up a different number). Blockchain would at least make it possible for me to trace that and have it open for discussion as to whether it is wise to enable it. And it would certainly allow me to personally check the veracity of the result with inspection of anonymized counting if I wanted, without having to hang around a count center if I happened to have a spare 100 hours or to do so in the case of the EU election!

Vote verification / count accuracy isn't available on the paper system - so it is an even more opaque system than one with digital traceability would be - I can't walk into the count center in Cork and demand to see my paper to verify that it arrived, be able to identify it and ensure it has been placed in the correct piles throughout the vote transfer procedure (refer to the way recounts often throw up a different number).
    It really is verifiable, at a systemic level. Every stage of the process is verifiable. Every stage of the count is done in public view of those with direct vested interests in the process - the sealing of boxes, the opening of boxes, the sorting and counting, the transferring. Experienced tally folks will sometimes claim that they have actually spotted their own vote while tallying, due to the particular voting pattern. Any identifying mark, such as a doodle or a note will invalidate the vote.
    Blockchain would at least make it possible for me to trace that and have it open for discussion as to whether it is wise to enable it. And it would certainly allow me to personally check the veracity of the result with inspection of anonymized counting if I wanted, without having to hang around a count center if I happened to have a spare 100 hours or to do so in the case of the EU election!
    The only way you could be certain that your vote was counted would be if you could view the entire database of votes cast, including your own and validate that the count result was correct.

But again, if you can validate your own vote, you can sell your vote and be forced to vote by a family member. It breaches the safety that comes from the privacy of the polling booth.

There is no workable solution with blockchain, and that's without even considering any of the technical challenges involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Count adjourned until the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Extremely unlikely

Wonder the same myself. Would be a voter winner surely to go to London and scupper Borris' best laid plans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just a theory

If they did, it's probably a small percentage.

Bar a united Ireland I'm not sure what they are about these days. Mary Lou looks out of her depth tbh. The England get out of Ireland banner was fairly cringe and probably shows small time amateurism. Electorate don't want TD's with bigotted views perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I’ve heard unofficially that O’Sullivan is 178 ahead on tallies after Kellehers surplus. Clune for Europa League either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Advertisement

Full recount and recheck granted and starts at 9am tomorrow. I mean brexit might get sorted before this is.

Advertisement