Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters, RDS, Wed 21st August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah, they only covered it 169 times since 2006 and played it live 3 times in the last 7 days. No practicing at all.

Think he meant not rehearsed with the particular guy they got to come on and sing it. Dont know who he was but he was at th side of the stage with the staff, family and friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Yeah its just not my type of foos song, i actually detest it :eek:

One mans trash is another mans treasure as they say!

Was really hoping they’d play ‘Rope’, as it’d been a regular on their set list for a good while. They’ve dropped it for the last 3 shows though for some reason!

dobman88 wrote: »
    Think he meant not rehearsed with the particular guy they got to come on and sing it. Dont know who he was but he was at th side of the stage with the staff, family and friends etc

Good mate of Taylor’s, lives in the area apparently (from what I could make out)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Good mate of Taylor’s, lives in the area apparently (from what I could make out)

Irelands a weird place regards rock stars

This guy currently fronting a decent band living here that few heard off

Joe Elliott of Def Leppard lives in Dublin

A guy who became the frontman of Survivor named Robin mcauley was born in Meath and had a successful career in the rock scene in Veges etc. Big in a German band too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Le Bruise wrote: »

He's actually a musician himself vocalist for Yes for a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assumed the people gathered at the side of the stage were local friends of the band, and their guests. Like the physio and Taylor's mate. I imagine when they go to any country, friends of the band living there get a call and get a handful of backstage passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

In case anyone wants to relive the gig again, BBC4 are showing highlights from this weekends gigs in Reading on Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

zig wrote: »
    Just wondering what was he referring to before he sang Wheels when he was saying something along the lines of us relating to it?
    said id bump this again :), does anyone know what this was about? Or I am imagining things?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

[PHP][/PHP]
    said id bump this again :), does anyone know what this was about? Or I am imagining things?

I read it as "Irish sing along a lot, and this is a singalong song"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Even though it's a mainstay of their setlist, he was making the point that, for some reason, Irish audiences always seem to respond particularly well (and sing along impressively) to Wheels.
    I suspect this goes back to the performance of the song at Oxegen.
    That's really the gist of it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

And she goes then "I'll give you a few onions" complete rip off. Ketchup was like water too. Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'll probably put an unpopular opinion out there...

I thought it was nothing but a professional job that they did. Their music is amazing, but perhaps their performance not so amazing. Let's face it, it's a job for them.

This business of We love Thin Lizzy and then not knowing how to play the song was a bit patronizing.

They went overboard on the drum solo too, a bit self indulgent. And didnt they introduce the keyboard player twice?

Dave I think is starting to crawl up his own hole, and over acting the part. Becoming a parody of himself on stage.
    Thanks be to jaysus they didn't role out Bono.

I'll sandwich that with, their songs are amazing :)

...ducks for cover

I'll probably put an unpopular opinion out there...

I thought it was nothing but a professional job that they did. Their music is amazing, but perhaps their performance not so amazing. Let's face it, it's a job for them.

This business of We love Thin Lizzy and then not knowing how to play the song was a bit patronizing.

They went overboard on the drum solo too, a bit self indulgent. And didnt they introduce the keyboard player twice?

Dave I think is starting to crawl up his own hole, and over acting the part. Becoming a parody of himself on stage.
    Thanks be to jaysus they didn't role out Bono.

I'll sandwich that with, their songs are amazing :)

...ducks for cover

Agree in some parts re: Dave and over acting the part, maybe its cause im getting older but it did feel a bit more pantomimish at times and also Bono (was he there?? thank God he didnt make an appearance).

However I dont agree about Thin Lizzy, they jammed the riffs of all their big hits. Hardly patronising. And I dont agree about the drum solo, great bands have been doing that kinda stuff since the start of rock music. Try 24 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEiyZ-2bBXQ . Self Indulgence has been part of some of the great rock moments in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Fair enough summary.

I'd image it's hard to keep coming up with new ways to indulge the crowd and make each show seem unique.

I'd disagree about Dave crawling up his own hole though, wouldn't strike me as that type but he does crawl up Taylor's which is a bit OTT at this stage of their relationship.

Feel kinda sorry for Nate & Pat seeing as they being the longest serving dudes with little fan fare

Agree in some parts re: Dave and over acting the part, maybe its cause im getting older but it did feel a bit more pantomimish at times and also Bono (was he there?? thank God he didnt make an appearance).

However I dont agree about Thin Lizzy, they jammed the riffs of all their big hits. Hardly patronising. And I dont agree about the drum solo, great bands have been doing that kinda stuff since the start of rock music. Try 24 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEiyZ-2bBXQ . Self Indulgence has been part of some of the great rock moments in history.

Was he using that bendy drum to play a song? I couldn't figure out what the tune was, but I felt like I was close to getting it.

boosabum wrote: »
    Feel kinda sorry for Nate & Pat seeing as they being the longest serving dudes with little fan fare

I would say this is all their own intentional doing, in a good way I mean. I think if Nate really had the personality of someone that wanted the attention he'd behave and be treated the same as Taylor. Taylor & Dave definitely love the limelight, in fact Taylor even more Id say.

Was he using that bendy drum to play a song? I couldn't figure out what the tune was, but I felt like I was close to getting it.
    It sounded like it as far as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

PTH2009 wrote: »

Feile sure. The good aul days. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A great gig. Rain comparable to this week's gig though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Self-indulgent drum solos are nothing new for them unfortunately. I went to see them in 2003 and the amount of pointless jams/solos they inserted into the middle of songs was crazy, took them more than 2 hours to get through 16 songs and without the distractions they could have fitted in about 5-6 more songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just in regards to the long drum and guitar solos/jams. There's probably an element of trying to preserve his voice too. Can't be easy hitting those notes night after night.
    Just came across everlong from wembley 2008 on YouTube while looking for vidoes from the other night, his voice definitely isn't as sharp as it used to be.

prunudo wrote: »
    Just in regards to the long drum and guitar solos/jams. There's probably an element of trying to preserve his voice too. Can't be easy hitting those notes night after night.
    Just came across everlong from wembley 2008 on YouTube while looking for vidoes from the other night, his voice definitely isn't as sharp as it used to be.
    Good point. When he gives it full power I'm amazed he doesn't blow his voice box out!

Did axel rose wreck his voice by going overboard like that?

Good point. When he gives it full power I'm amazed he doesn't blow his voice box out!

Did axel rose wreck his voice by going overboard like that?

I pretty much blew my voice out just trying to keep up with all the ‘best of you’ join ins....Sounded like my voice was breaking all over again

Nothing random about it. Google 'trip to tipp 1990' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's amazing compared to the stadard gig you get these days, not many can keep it goin for 2.5 hrs anymore, they could ahve come on at 9, finished at 10:30 and been professional.

I think most gigs these days are either enjoyed for their setlist/songs or their performance/theatrics. Foos balance it better than msot.

love to see them in the 3arena

Think they prefer stadiums/outdoor shows when they tour Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Lofidelity wrote: »
    What was the picture on Taylor's drums last night?

Was wondering the same myself, looked a bit like Run DMC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Whatever some may think about the ramblings, I enjoyed it. The extended songs, the solos and the jokes. I'm there to see the band play songs and they did so while putting on a show.

If they played 2 and a half hours and said nothing it would be a bit boring. If I wanted nothing but songs I'd listen to the studio albums, it's nice to hear extra bits and the sillyness in between.

Dave was fond of a scream, seeing him go up and down the stage with the guitar is probably to keep the voice going for the full show and we get to see his mad facial expressions while doing it.

I'll leave this here...

• Advertisement

Anyone else feel the video/song of 'in the clear' is pretty emotional ??

Rewatched the sonic highways series amazing pity I missed slane when they were touring that album

https://youtu.be/qYzY25b_uek

Advertisement