Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Travel Pass Holders on peak time public transport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

With all due respect Obvious Desperate Breakfast, she isn’t starting to sound unhinged. And just like you state nobody is under any obligation to agree with the OP, the same courtesy is extended to you. I am on the fence about what the op is proposing purely because I’d hate to make more vulnerable people feel isolated but I can’t disagree with what she’s saying.

We live in a country where entitlement culture is rife. We’re safdled with so much of other people’s debts in so far as well probably never own our own homes, we’re putting off starting a family until much later because we’re so busy paying for other people’s, were working ourselves into the ground and struggling to pay 50 euro to see the GP when were sick, while paying into a pot that only is distributed between those who contribute nothing.

The unemployed, and the people who have made a career out of making their womb into public transport are the people who benefit the most.

The property tax that I pay, that’s supposed to maintain local areas, does not maintain the area I pay in. They are all private houses, hedges cut are the landowners responsibility, no street lights, no footpaths, potholes left months without being fixed. You go into the local council estates you have children at play signs, speed ramps, a decent road, new footpaths, a maintained green, ample lighting. Funny how people didn’t take to the streets when that came in, or when the usc which was supposed to be temporary came in. No, only when water charges came in and it was made clear that everyone would pay for the water they used and not just the employed.

You get absolutely nothing in this country when you attempt to stand on your own two feet and help yourself, except rode. Are you telling me that it’s right that in the past two budgets the unemployed get €10 extra per week AND a Christmas bonus while the working people have probably got about €4 better off?
    Do you think they worry about going to the dr when they get sick?
    Do you think they give a second thought to having children they will be quite happy to declare as homeless because they want a forever house? Do you think people are happy to keep paying for people like that? Do you think we should be blessed and honored that we have the privilege of paying for kids we didn’t even get the ride for?

I know you say you wish you were paying taxes, but you’re not. You’re unwell, and that’s a sh1t hand to be dealt, truely it is. But the people who are funding everyone else have also their own crosses to bear, so for you to tear into someone and call them unhinged and insulting and arrogant well, the phrase pot kettle and a dark colour comes to mind.

Let me just stop you there at the bolded bit. When you start banging on about water fluoridation, you’re beginning to sound unhinged. With all due respect. It’s either unhinged or foot-stomping because not enough people are agreeing with her. Neither is a good look. AND she’s provided nothing but anecdote to back up her view that FTP holders are clogging up rush hour transport. She also hasn’t suggested how deciding which FTP holder deserve to go free at rush hour would be administered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Let me just stop you there at the bolded bit. When you start banging on about water fluoridation, you’re beginning to sound unhinged. With all due respect. It’s either unhinged or foot-stomping because not enough people are agreeing with her. Neither is a good look.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you had a degree in online physcology. Carry on and pardon my ignorance.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you had a degree in online physcology. Carry on and pardon my ignorance.

Can you point to where I said did? :) Ta.

Can you point to where I said did? :) Ta.

Well you’re throwing around your online diagnosis of people’s mental health on a message board so I assume you must hold some sort of qualification to enable you to do so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Let me just stop you there at the bolded bit. When you start banging on about water fluoridation, you’re beginning to sound unhinged. With all due respect. It’s either unhinged or foot-stomping because not enough people are agreeing with her. Neither is a good look. AND she’s provided nothing but anecdote to back up her view that FTP holders are clogging up rush hour transport. She also hasn’t suggested how deciding which FTP holder deserve to go free at rush hour would be administered.

She was being SARCASTIC. There's a difference between that an "unhinged".

Well you’re throwing around your online diagnosis of people’s mental health on a message board so I assume you must hold some sort of qualification to enable you to do so
    She was being SARCASTIC. There's a difference between that an "unhinged".

Sarcastic or unhinged, neither is a good look in this context. Both point to annoyance that some people have the temerity to disagree with her. Anyone who puts a thread out there has to accept that it might not develop as they please. And Emme has ignored many posts that made good points.

And that’s just my own take, Viviana Careful Wildfire. No qualifications needed. Should nobody express an opinion here unless they have qualifications specific to the topic? Do YOU have the necessary qualifications every time you give your opinion on this messageboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Am a bit confused. Who are the ''scum'' who are getting FTPs? As far as I can make out, everyone over 66 and permanently resident in Ireland, and people on disability allowance, blind pension, carer’s allowance and invalidity pension. IE gthe sick and old, thus deserving.

The most important problem is lack of provision of adequate services. That's it.

And as for the poor people robbing the workers, look into debt repayment/guarantees to banks and bondholders to the tune of 69 billion euros, 31 billion of promissory notes to be repaid by money the Irish state borrows on the open market plus interest to avoid the euro being devalued and this repayment cash being burned (''The funds are extinguished,'' - P. Honohan) by the billion every year in the Central Bank.

We should not be at each others throats over lack of seats on inadequate trains.

Zorya wrote: »
    Am a bit confused. Who are the ''scum'' who are getting FTPs? As far as I can make out, everyone over 66 and permanently resident in Ireland, and people on disability allowance, blind pension, carer’s allowance and invalidity pension. IE gthe sick and old, thus deserving.

The most important problem is lack of provision of adequate services. That's it.

And as for the poor people robbing the workers, look into debt repayment/guarantees to banks and bondholders to the tune of 69 billion euros, 31 billion of promissory notes to be repaid by money the Irish state borrows on the open market plus interest to avoid the euro being devalued and this repayment cash being burned (''The funds are extinguished,'' - P. Honohan) by the billion every year in the Central Bank.

We should not be at each others throats over lack of seats on inadequate trains.

And with the new system, fraud is more difficult. The card isn’t easy to get either. I more than deserved it but there was still plenty of hoop-jumping involved.

I totally agree, we need to focus ire at the lack of decent services. Scapegoating a section of society will do nothing.

Well when I was commuting, a well known junkie/drug dealer was on the same home train as me 4 nights out of 5 from Dublin. He would be met in the train station carpark by a group of young men, (there could be ten plus lads around him). Two weeks before he killed himself, he robbed someone outside the train station and even took their shoes off. He was on a free travel pass because of his “disability” (heroin addiction) and was clearly using his travel pass to bring drugs down from Dublin.

Well when I was commuting, a well known junkie/drug dealer was on the same home train as me 4 nights out of 5 from Dublin. He would be met in the train station carpark by a group of young men, (there could be ten plus lads around him). Two weeks before he killed himself, he robbed someone outside the train station and even took their shoes off. He was on a free travel pass because of his “disability” (heroin addiction) and was clearly using his travel pass to bring drugs down from Dublin.

I agree that drug addiction and alcoholism may be seen by some as "illnesses", I vehemently disagree that they are disabilities worthy of disability allowance and the perks associated with it.

• Advertisement

In order for the anger about improper usage of FTP to have any bearing whatsoever upon one's own irritation about a lack of seats on public transport, one would have to be able to quantify, at least to a reasonable extent, how many users of the FTP fall into a category similiar to that of the junkie dealing drugs via free transport.

My guess - though of course I could be wrong - is that it would be very, very few people who would fall within that category. Removing every single one of such people from trains and buses would likely do VERY little to ease congestion on what is an inadequate and under-funded transport system.

So feeling angry at people who have utterly miserable, contemptible existences perching here and there on the odd train seat is a bit useless in this case. Although I can think of plenty of other instances where one might be very justified to be angry with such people.

In order for the anger about improper usage of FTP to have any bearing whatsoever upon one's own irritation about a lack of seats on public transport, one would have to be able to quantify, at least to a reasonable extent, how many users of the FTP fall into a category similiar to that of the junkie dealing drugs via free transport.

My guess - though of course I could be wrong - is that it would be very, very few people who would fall within that category. Removing every single one of such people from trains and buses would likely do VERY little to ease congestion on what is an inadequate and under-funded transport system.

So feeling angry at people who have utterly miserable, contemptible existences perching here and there on the odd train seat is a bit useless in this case. Although I can think of plenty of other instances where one might be very justified to be angry with such people.

+1

It just seems like such an impotent argument. Have I been next to very questionable characters on public transport down the years, both in my sickness and in my health? Sure. But not really very often.

So let’s say we find the perfect system and the freeloaders are dealt with. How much more likely is it that commuters like Emme will gets seats? I’m going to say not much more likely. Especially as, from my own admittedly anecdotal observations, questionable characters seem to love their beauty sleep and are unlikely to be up for the morning rush hour! :pac:

+1

It just seems like such an impotent argument. Have I been next to very questionable characters on public transport down the years, both in my sickness and in my health? Sure. But not really very often.

So let’s say we find the perfect system and the freeloaders are dealt with. How much more likely is it that commuters like Emme will gets seats? I’m going to say not much more likely. Especially as, from my own admittedly anecdotal observations, questionable characters seem to love their beauty sleep and are unlikely to be up for the morning rush hour! :pac:

Heh, I will have to report back in after my coming weekend of train travel. Perhaps I will have met many more of such sorts by then. The closer to the East coast I get, the weirder the whole world seems. :)

+1

Laugh all you like but the issue isn't going in, it's coming home when you've done a long day's work and have to stand for someone who has not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Emme wrote: »
    I didn't mention FTP card holders who didn't look sick. I did (cue rain of angry posts) mention pensioners who looked to be in better health than many workers. That doesn't say they aren't but if they're carrying rucksacks and hiking poles one would hope they are fit and healthy.

On this, just because they have backpacks and hiking poles doesn't mean they're going for a hike or are ok. My mam (and she only got the FTP this year) often will have a hiking pole and a backpack if she's going out in winter. This is because she is afraid of falling and has a bad leg. She'd use a walking stick but the handle aggravates the arthritis in her hands whereas the pole is a lot more comfortable. The backpack is to carry whatever she's going out to get as she doesn't want to carry bags.

Just proving the point that you can't judge people from the outside and say they are probably fit and healthy because no matter what, you have no idea what's going on behind that face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Laugh all you like but the issue isn't going in, it's coming home when you've done a long day's work and have to stand for someone who has not.

Not that I would choose to but lets just say I needed to travel at peak time in the evening would you object to me sitting while you stand ? I have a senior citizens FTP and have not worked that day ( i did work for 40 years mind you )

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not that I would choose to but lets just say I needed to travel at peak time in the evening would you object to me sitting while you stand ? I have a senior citizens FTP and have not worked that day ( i did work for 40 years mind you )

As has been covered ad nauseum, absolutely not - I'd stand for you if need be.

I was raised to respect my elders. Plus how I could I object to being treated badly as a hard working tax payer and then diss people who have done in a decade or more longer than I have so far ?

Leave pensioners alone, full stop IMO.

As has been covered ad nauseum, absolutely not - I'd stand for you if need be.

I was raised to respect my elders. Plus how I could I object to being treated badly as a hard working tax payer and then diss people who have done in a decade or more longer than I have so far ?

Leave pensioners alone, full stop IMO.

Then I am not sure who you object to then ? As free travel passes are mainly carried by pensioners and those with a disability ?
    They are actually not that easy to get or handed out willy nilly . ?

Then I am not sure who you object to then ? As free travel passes are mainly carried by pensioners and those with a disability ?
    I don’t think the op was complaining about people carrying them, more so people using them on rush hour trains, peak times.

• Advertisement

My main gripe would be exactly what is classed as a disability in this country.

Having seen some incredibly questionable "pharmaceutical enthusiasts" travelling with one, it does p**s you off somewhat.

My main gripe would be exactly what is classed as a disability in this country.

Having seen some incredibly questionable "pharmaceutical enthusiasts" travelling with one, it does p**s you off somewhat.

Unless I am very naive I don't think every junky has free travel ? Mainly those with a genuine need carry them I would think

Unless I am very naive I don't think every junky has free travel ? Mainly those with a genuine need carry them I would think

I can only call what I see, fair few people my age high as kites on trains and LUAS and totally strung out, showing sometimes the old white card (rife with fraud) or the new green plastic one.

I think it's the way of the world sadly - I've known people battle depression and other hidden disabilities, I myself have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and whilst it is great to see a lack of stigma for these - I have seen in my work what happens when you ask for a diagnosis, or a GPs letter. I've been threatened with a lawsuit (honestly!) for asking a student to prove her claim of ADHD.

Perhaps GPs are similarly fearful of disbelieving until diagnosis and just box ticking ?

I don’t think the op was complaining about people carrying them, more so people using them on rush hour trains, peak times.

More than likely, most FTP holders avoid rush hour public transport unless absolutely necessary. I know I do. And in my college days where my lectures would sometimes start at 9am but usually 11am or later, I’d notice that you’d only really see the grey army come out in force at around 10am onwards. I’d say loathing packed public transport is near universal.

The OP’s issue is that she has to stand for her long commutes. I just don’t think that charging FTP holders for unnecessary peak time journeys would make as much of a difference as she thinks. It’s not the root of the problem, IMO.

More than likely, most FTP holders avoid rush hour public transport unless absolutely necessary. I know I do. And in my college days where my lectures would sometimes start at 9am but usually 11am or later, I’d notice that you’d only really see the grey army come out in force at around 10am onwards. I’d say loathing packed public transport is near universal.

The OP’s issue is that she has to stand for her long commutes. I just don’t think that charging FTP holders for unnecessary peak time journeys would make as much of a difference as she thinks. It’s not the root of the problem, IMO.
    Early morning trains (til about 8:30) are usually fine. 4pm to 6pm are awful.

Yes but is this due to armies of FTP holders or simply poor planning by the powers that be ?

• Advertisement

Ta- Daaaa!!!

3443270646be7496ea009aea238720eb3fd4a39f.jpg

thegrommet.png

a2f265ff73d06e9157d4f2a6d4e2d4b2.jpg

71fpZnbHpuL._SX522_.jpg

Works as chair and stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Just out of interest I looked up the rules for getting the FTP on the department's website. They're below. Looks like they're not just handed out to all and sundry. And while some of the others might be flashing the green card around it could just be a Public Services Card which anyone can get but unless it has the yellow octagon in the top left-hand corner, they don't have free travel.

"You may be entitled to free travel if you are legally resident and permanently living in the State and:
    • You are aged 66 or over
    • You are getting Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Carer's Allowance or an Invalidity Pension from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
    • You have been getting Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation with Disablement Pension for at least 12 months
    • You are blind or visually impaired and meet the medical conditions for Blind Pension
    • You are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relative's Allowance from the Department
    • You are getting a social security invalidity payment, or similar payment, from another EU member state or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement for at least 12 months
    • You are a widow or widower or a surviving civil partner aged 60 or over whose late spouse/civil partner held a free travel pass and who is getting one of the following payments: Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Contributory) Pension, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme or a similar social security pension/benefit from an EU member state or a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement, or an ordinary Garda widow's pension.
    "

Yes but is this due to armies of FTP holders or simply poor planning by the powers that be ?

I will be honest and say both but more often that not 30/70 where 70 is IR.

My train desperately needs to be a 6 carriage, it's often a 5 and every day for a couple of weeks it's a 4. Insanity.

Well, unfortunately many FTP holders will be out and about at that time. Many out of necessity. But let’s say we charge the ones who are out at that time but could have gone a bit earlier in the day. Is this really going to do much to alleviate the crowding on public transport at those times by a significant amount? I just can’t see it. And I personally hate the thought of being questioned about where I’m going and what I’m doing to decide whether I should be charged. As if my restricted, pain-filled life isn’t hard enough as it is. Would I need to carry proof of what I was doing? It just seems so intrusive.

I will be honest and say both but more often that not 30/70 where 70 is IR.

My train desperately needs to be a 6 carriage, it's often a 5 and every day for a couple of weeks it's a 4. Insanity.

Sorry , not sure what 39/70 IR means ?
    But yes I agree with you its insanity not to provide a comfortable transport system with room for all who need to travel . Poor planning and lack of research I presume .

• Advertisement

Well, unfortunately many FTP holders will be out and about at that time. Many out of necessity. But let’s say we charge the ones who are out at that time but could have gone a bit earlier in the day. Is this really going to do much to alleviate the crowding on public transport at those times by a significant amount? I just can’t see it. And I personally hate the thought of being questioned about where I’m going and what I’m doing to decide whether I should be charged. As if my restricted, pain-filled life isn’t hard enough as it is. Would I need to carry proof of what I was doing? It just seems so intrusive.

Then they’ll have paid for their seat like everyone else

Sorry , not sure what 39/70 IR means ?
    But yes I agree with you its insanity not to provide a comfortable transport system with room for all who need to travel . Poor planning and lack of research I presume .

My bad - the lack of seats to my mind are about 30% people travelling who could travel at a different time, than the commuting hours and 70% Irish Rail being unable to organise a nun shoot in a nunnery.

My bad - the lack of seats to my mind are about 30% people travelling who could travel at a different time, than the commuting hours and 70% Irish Rail being unable to organise a nun shoot in a nunnery.

Ah ! Ok , thanks !

Ps Genuinely don't know why anyone who doesn't need to would travel at peak time in a smelly overcrowded carraige though !

The very fundamental reason why we have a state - which has too much bloody power anyways, over our heads instead of where it should be under our feet - is that we have all entered into an unwritten societal contract. You (the government) take some of my freedom and my money and in return you (the government) provide services to me, including a safety net for the old, sick, disabled to enable them to live their lives comfortably.

What I see here is people resenting parts of the social contract - very selfishly in my opinion, because you do not know if you might be struck down with a stroke, cancer, an amputation etc tomorrow, and you might become entirely dependent on the societal contract.

If people are for ripping up random parts of the society then feck it let me keep all my money, all my freedom, arm myself and run my home like a castle. May the odds be ever in your favour!

It doesn’t solve the OP’s problem really though. There’ll be no extra free seats, she’ll still have to stand. Unless this keeps FTP holders away in their droves at rush hour. She might be disappointed there. Is the standing less unpleasant knowing that some FTP holders have paid? I suppose that’s a question for Emme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

It doesn’t solve the OP’s problem really though. There’ll be no extra free seats, she’ll still have to stand. Unless this keeps FTP holders away in their droves at rush hour. She might be disappointed there. Is the standing less unpleasant knowing that some FTP holders have paid? I suppose that’s a question for Emme.

the only solution is the re-distribution of the freeloading council housed scum unwilling to work a day in their lazy pathetic lives. they need to be moved OUT OF DUBLIN so that people who DO work can live nearer to their jobs.

it doesnt matter what sh!t reason they come up with to stay in Dublin, they should be moved OUT. if they have no job to get up and travel to, then they have no reason to be taking up valuable property in a location which is more suited to professionals with jobs.

if this was sorted out, then Emme wouldnt have any gripes about the commute or the FTP because she wouldnt be forced into commuting so far.

the reason she has to commute so far to work is because of scumbags who are taking up all the housing stock in dublin and not willing to work.

why should scum like that have the freedom to wake up in the morning, look out their window at the droves of workers going past and then roll over and go back to bed?

this country makes me sick. it's a horrible place to live - and i wholeheartedly agree with Emme about the "Brainwashing" element too - a lot of people in this country havent a clue just how much they are being fvcked over.

Oy vey. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I hate when dole scum outbid me on a house. Between the drink, drugs and black market fags, it's amazing they're buying up so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There is a simply solution to this OP. Move to Waterford and you can get a seat on the train and Leo will like you more for getting up earlier in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

xckjoo wrote: »
    I hate when dole scum outbid me on a house. Between the drink, drugs and black market fags, it's amazing they're buying up so much.

either you're thick enough to actually believe that these filth are buying the houses, or its a terrible effort at sarcasm.

why do the drug dealing, tracksuit wearing lazy non-working scum of this country get the best of everything? why?

are the little weasels in government afraid of them or something?

this country is rotten to the core. it's a hell hole that wont change soon.

scum rule the roost and the rest of us are left to pay their way in everything.

i can take it from your post that you're one of them? probably high as a kite and that's why your post came across as stupid? maybe. IMO.

• Advertisement

either you're thick enough to actually believe that these filth are buying the houses, or its a terrible effort at sarcasm.

why do the drug dealing, tracksuit wearing lazy non-working scum of this country get the best of everything? why?

i can take it from your post that you're one of them? probably high as a kite and that's why your post came across as stupid? maybe. IMO.

Crikey, scum seems to be your favourite word. Followed by filth and weasels. Even if you don't like those people, it's got to be toxic to your blood pressure to keep that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You're the only one coming across high here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So leave the country? No one is forcing you to live here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be no free travel pass for anyone not actually disabled.

Solves problem.

I use the bus a bit and you do see perfectly able bodied people using it.

There comes a point where it all adds up.

I would advise any young person with ambition to get the fcuk out of this country to be perfectly honest.

It's a toxic place because you will be fcuked as soon as you earn a certain average amount and your money will be taken and given to wasters.

Don't live in a society that punishes you to give to them. Get out and have a rewarding life for your work.

People think the emigration of the last 10 years was all work related. How deluded.

There should be no free travel pass for anyone not actually disabled.

Solves problem.

I use the bus a bit and you do see perfectly able bodied people using it.

There comes a point where it all adds up.

I would advise any young person with ambition to get the fcuk out of this country to be perfectly honest.

It's a toxic place because you will be fcuked as soon as you earn a certain average amount and your money will be taken and given to wasters.

Don't live in a society that punishes you to give to them. Get out and have a rewarding life for your work.

People think the emigration of the last 10 years was all work related. How deluded.

Does this mean that you only think people in wheelchairs should have them? The pass is for disabilities AND serious illnesses and acknowledges the severe drop in income that can accommpany the diagnosis of a serious illness, as many have no choice but to give up work. I have a damaged spine and sometimes I’m struck by breathing difficulties if I stand for too long. If you saw me using my pass, you’d think I was able-bodied but I’m not. I’m very restricted physically.

Graces7 wrote: »
    So leave the country? No one is forcing you to live here...

So, your solution is that instead of addressing the actual inequality between the lifestyles of the "won't work" as opposed to the "will always work" is that a hard working taxpayer leaves Ireland ?

Do you realise what the country would look like if half a million of us left to be replaced by half a million benefit tourists and lifer doleites/Margaret Cash-esque drains on society ?

We would be glad to see a train once a month let alone annoyed we can't get a seat on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 High road

My folks love that pass. Rub my nose in it anytime I cant find change for the bus. Woe is the politician that ever trys to curtail it. The OAPs will be looking for blood come election time!

Jesus, bit harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The very fundamental reason why we have a state - which has too much bloody power anyways, over our heads instead of where it should be under our feet - is that we have all entered into an unwritten societal contract.

Strangely enough, we all seemed to rub along well enough less than 20 years ago, before that idiot Seamus Brennan decided to pull a stroke before an election and make the off-peak travel passes usable at any time, in order to grab some OAP votes for FF.

But now even the mention of possibly reversing that is portrayed as the downfall of society, or something equally ridiculous.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Strangely enough, we all seemed to rub along well enough less than 20 years ago, before that idiot Seamus Brennan decided to pull a stroke before an election and make the off-peak travel passes usable at any time, in order to grab some OAP votes for FF.

But now even the mention of possibly reversing that is portrayed as the downfall of society, or something equally ridiculous.

Well, I’m more interested in the practicalities. The consensus on this thread seems to be that if a FTP holder needs to travel at peak time, it should be free. Otherwise a small charge should be applied. How would this be administered? Unless you think FTP holders should pay a small fee at peak time, no matter the reason they are travelling?

Advertisement