Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Favourite Christmas Song Nominations Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

1. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
    2. Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade
    3. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey

I also have a soft spot for Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelgerg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

1) Mary did you know. Aled Jones, Pentatonix also do a good version of it

Oh I forgot about Mary did you know - its a good song. I'm totally going to you tube it now.
    Interesting that the Bowie/Bing version of Little Drummer Boy is so popular. I found out the other day that Bowie didn't like Little Drummer Boy so they had to write his part especially for him because he refused to sing the song.

That is mad - I always just assumed they planned the two songs, they go so well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Top three are probably -

Stop the cavalry - I absolutely adore it.
    Fairytale of New York - amazing.
    Christmas time (don't let the bells end) - unreal tune.

Special mention for Proper Crimbo (Bo Selecta) too, it's great craic!

Best:
    1. Mariah - All I want for Christmas
    2. Boney M - Mary's Boy child
    3. Elmo and Patsy - Grandma Got run over by a reindeer

Worst:

I'd never heard it until a couple of years ago. Has to be the most depressing tune of all the Christmas ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Best:
    1. Mariah - All I want for Christmas
    2. Boney M - Mary's Boy child
    3. Elmo and Patsy - Grandma Got run over by a reindeer

Worst: The Christmas Shoes

I'd never heard it until a couple of years ago. Has to be the most depressing tune of all the Christmas ones.

....and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is a happy time for granny? :eek:

That song drives me batty... that and the Hippo for Christmas one. Whoever thought them up had a bit too much Christmas grog - they do be grating on the auld nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Worst:

Depressing is right. Even worse than Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

anewme wrote: »
    2000 miles by the Pretenders....such a beautiful song and vocals
    Thank you !
    I have always loved this song from hearing it first on the radio and then as a soundtrack. But I never knew the title, till now :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Driving home for Christmas - Chris Rea.
    Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy - Bing Crosbie & David Bowie.
    200 miles - The Pretenders.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

abff wrote: »
    Depressing is right. Even worse than Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.
    Oh my lord, I hate that song so much!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I don't know if it's possible to choose just 3, I love so many Christmas songs.

Frankly, I'm astounded this hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread:

Loughc wrote: »
    finally the greatest Christmas song ever written and completely under-rated;

3. Geraldine McQueen - Once Upon A Christmas Song.

+1000, I LOVE this song.

Also, this:

So I think my top 3 would go:

Christmas Countdown - Frank Kelly
    Lonely Pup in A Christmas Shop - Adam Faith
    Once Upon A Christmas Song - Geraldine McQueen

Honourable mentions to:

Step Into Christmas - Elton John
    In Dulce Jubilo - Mike Oldfield
    Stop The Cavalry - Jona Lewie
    Don't Let The Bells End - The Darkness
    Merry Christmas Everyone - Slade

Worst Songs:
    The Jesus Shoes one - good Christ, a more depressing song I can't think of.
    Mariah Carey - I can't stand the wagon, she really grinds my gears. All I want for Christmas is for her to piss off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Where do people stand on Stay Another Day by East 17? I know it’s not technically a Christmas song but it’s one of those perennially on the Christmas playlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Where do people stand on Stay Another Day by East 17? I know it’s not technically a Christmas song but it’s one of those perennially on the Christmas playlists.

My husband goes mad when it comes on the Christmas music channels!! He's adamant it's not a Christmas song. I personally think it's an honorary one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Jingle Bell Rock Bobby Helms
    AIWFCIY - Mariah Carey
    Driving Home for Christmas- Chris Rea

HM:
    Mad World - Gary Jules
    Fairytale of New York- The Pogues and Kirsty McColl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All the songs i like have already been mentioned,
    so ill go with this, mull of kintyre, it was no1 christmas 1977,not sure if its really a christmasy song , but reminds me of christmas as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Christmas song for me, I was a kid when it was out so I just remember that there were bells at the end of it so it was Christmassy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It was in the charts at Christmas, has bells & sounds more christmassy than most, that'll do me!!:D

Gas thing is, Stop The Cavalry by Jona Lewie is an anti war song & not a christmas one, that one line though projected it into the christmas orbit though & that was that...instant crimbo classic, So if thats a crimbo song so is stay another day IMO:)

I really struggled to limit my nominations to 3 & felt I'd done myself a disservice by not mentioning the others that 'nearly' made it...

'Last Christmas' Wham
    'Christmas time (dont let the bells end)' The Darkness
    'The Christmas song' Nat King Cole
    'I believe in father christmas' Greg Lake
    'Little drummer boy, peace on earth' David Bowie & Bing Crosby

In fact can see a christmas playlist on Spotify being the order of the day now...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I have always HATED it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

Wow this was much harder to narrow down to 3 than I thought. There are some many I love but I think these make it feel most christmassy for me:)

When a child is born - Johnny Mathis
    Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade
    The Christmas song' Nat King Cole

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aj89

1. Stop the cavalry - Jona Lewie
    2. Little Drummer Boy - Bing Crosby and David Bowie
    3. Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I love Do You Hear What I Hear by Hayley Westenra. Walking in the Air is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Have Your Self a Merry Little Christmas, covered by many Artist is a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s dreadful. Not just for Christmas but any day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

1.Stop the calvalry: jona lewie

2.Sleigh ride: the carpenters

3.In the bleak midwinter: various artists

Love Paul McCartneys.. wonderful Christmas time

jellybear wrote: »
    My husband goes mad when it comes on the Christmas music channels!! He's adamant it's not a Christmas song. I personally think it's an honorary one :)
    It was a clever move by E17 to be fair.

They knew they were going to be releasing it around Xmas, it was a lovey-dovey song. Grand, let's make a video with filled with snow, stick the lads in big white winter coats, and change the song so it ends on a big chorus of grandiose bell-ringing.

There's not a hint of Christmas in the thing, but they made it into a Xmas song anyway. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭DvB

seamus wrote: »
    It was a clever move by E17 to be fair.

They knew they were going to be releasing it around Xmas, it was a lovey-dovey song. Grand, let's make a video with filled with snow, stick the lads in big white winter coats, and change the song so it ends on a big chorus of grandiose bell-ringing.

There's not a hint of Christmas in the thing, but they made it into a Xmas song anyway. Genius.

Thats not even the original video, they shot a second one to look more 'christmassy' ...

Always thought it odd that Girls Aloud covered it too though, the song was about Tony Mortimers brothers suicide & was nothing to do with a romantic encounter or suchlike... so just like Jona Lewie anything but a christmas song, but ultimately became one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

DvB wrote: »
    It was in the charts at Christmas, has bells & sounds more christmassy than most, that'll do me!!:D

Gas thing is, Stop The Cavalry by Jona Lewie is an anti war song & not a christmas one, that one line though projected it into the christmas orbit though & that was that...instant crimbo classic, So if thats a crimbo song so is stay another day IMO:)

I really struggled to limit my nominations to 3 & felt I'd done myself a disservice by not mentioning the others that 'nearly' made it...

'Last Christmas' Wham
    'Christmas time (dont let the bells end)' The Darkness
    'The Christmas song' Nat King Cole
    'I believe in father christmas' Greg Lake
    'Little drummer boy, peace on earth' David Bowie & Bing Crosby

In fact can see a christmas playlist on Spotify being the order of the day now...

Thank God someone said THIS
    Rest of yizz cop on with yer Fairytale of NY every 10 mins on the radio

Oh...and Merry Christmas :D