Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorter Working Week

Options
  • 19-11-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I have recently been put onto a 3 day week at work, it suits well enough for the moment. The problem is that I am still expected to do the same amount of work as if I was on a 5 day week.

This morning I had 30+ emails waiting for me. Whilst trying to sort through them I had a barrage of questions thrown at me by my boss has this that or the other come into yet. Saying I haven't gotten to it yet seems to just get me a scowl. I also have to do his sons accounts (who has nothing do with the company I work for) I don't really mind but I am stretched for time and he also just expects me to jump. He called this morning and just made a load of demands expecting them to be done immediately even though I am in the middle of trying to do VAT returns.

I live in a rural area and there aren't many positions near by any ideas on how to control their expectations? I think for the most part they think I just press a button and what they wanted will magically appear!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Who’s decision was it to go to a 3 day week and what was agreed regarding work load?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

It was his. There isn't any agreed work load. It's a small construction company in the midlands. I got married last month and the day I got back he wanted up to date reports on everything before I could even open an email. There was a lot to catch up on, which I tried to explain to him.

I am headed on my honeymoon this week, he seems to be taking it personally that I won't be here at his beck and call! Maybe when I get back I should work out what I can realistically accomplish on a 3 day week and see if he will agree to it? I doubt he wants to fire me, it took him over 4 months to fill my position in that time they had 5 applicants 3 of which he said were not suitable at all and the other one was located very far away so he didn't think she'd stay very long. The last accountant was only here 6ish months and his own daughter only last a year working for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Maybe do something like this:

Start documenting what it is you do, and how long it takes you.

9.00 - 9.08: Replied to sales query regarding X Y Z
    9.09 - 9.25: Updated pricing list on the website
    Etc.

You can then give this to him and explain there isn't enough time in the day for all the things he wants you to do.

I had an issue in a previous company where two managers (product management & support) and the project manager didn't understand the concept of time. I literally had to draw on the whiteboard how long it takes someone to do Y, so if Y takes one hour that means they can only do 8 x Y per day. The ****ing bizarreness when I saw the sense of understanding spread across their faces. Seriously how are these people even alive if they can't understand what time is. And the project manager too!

So maybe your boss is like one of those people I worked with.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭dennyk

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    And the project manager too!

Well that explains it, then; after all, it only takes them like two minutes to get something done (by telling somebody else to do it), so how could it possibly take said person any longer to actually get it done themselves? :pac:

dennyk wrote: »
    Well that explains it, then; after all, it only takes them like two minutes to get something done (by telling somebody else to do it), so how could it possibly take said person any longer to actually get it done themselves? :pac:

I know! We have a fairly basic version of Sage, it's up to the task but the reports they want do not just print off of the software and he really doesn't get it. It's just annoying he'll say things like 'can I just get the creditors right now' sure but they will not be edited to the way he wants it and if it isn't edited he complains! But he still wants it straight away. I think the only thing for it is to sit him down after my honeymoon and explain what I can actually get done in 3 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

OP, you need to sit down and discuss your workload with your manager/boss. Document the time you've spent on tasks for the next week or so and arrange a meeting with you boss. Is there a HR department in your company?

The situation you are in has become very common nowadays. I know of a good few working mums, in particular, who've been caught like this, i.e. reducing their working week but getting stuck with the same volume of work. Bet they've cut your salary to three days!
    dennyk wrote: »

Burst out laughing when I read this but it's true. Had a conversation with the senior PM in here about Q1 next year yesterday. He was saying that he wants to get a particular piece of work done first. I told him that it'll probably take a good four months to do, excluding testing. He replied by agreeing with me but he then added that he felt that he could get it completed by March. I wished him luck with that because I won't be promising to deliver it by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

In a previous job i found the full-timers worked all hours, well in excess of the contracted 37.5 at no extra pay. The part-timers (typically women -just sayin') did a strict 9 to 5, 3-day week.

Sounds like you got the worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I also have to do his sons accounts (who has nothing do with the company I work for)
    I doubt he wants to fire me, it took him over 4 months to fill my position in that time they had 5 applicants 3 of which he said were not suitable at all and the other one was located very far away so he didn't think she'd stay very long. The last accountant was only here 6ish months and his own daughter only last a year working for him!
    Who needs who more? Can you get another job easier than they could hire someone to fill your position? Perhaps after the honeymoon, look at getting a more stable 5 day job? Also, as he's shortened your work week, you may be eligible to some social welfare, as your work has reduced the amount of days that you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

This is a big problem at smaller firms.

My brother in law is a structural engineer at a small firm in London working on projects which have deadlines. When he goes on holidays, those projects are still there. There's nobody else to do them. And the day they're due gets closer.

Which means he's never really on holiday. He always pays for it when he gets back.

the_syco wrote: »
    Who needs who more? Can you get another job easier than they could hire someone to fill your position?

I could get a new job much easier than he could fill this one. For one he pays under the going rate for an accountant, it works out grand for me because of the really short commute my diesel costs etc are all very low so it offsets it.

Back in the office today after the honeymoon. Some bull about an online auction the son wanted me to keep an eye on and bid on his behalf. I had never used the site before so I just said I didn't have time to figure it out. I got told by my boss that I need to be more flexible so now I am doing it.

I don't mind one bit being flexible but I said to him I am already really busy. I've a good weeks worth of work to get done and he wants it all right now. Like RIGHT now. All of it. I told him it's not possible. He said he 'understands' I can only do one thing at a time. He then asked me when I'd have his report. And as he was leaving he asked when the other mini project which he needs 'now' will be done. I told him I have to do the report 1st and will hopefully get onto the project in the afternoon but it's not likely to be finished today. He was aghast!

I'd love to know how he possibly thinks I can work on two completely different sets of account at the exact same time!!

He also said if I hadn't been out of the office I would have know how to do the auction and the accounts would be up to date. Right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

I’d give him notice I woundnt be returning in the new yr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I’d suggest a slight variation on OMM’s suggestion.

Before starting any piece of work, ask your boss what he wants you to do next. Once that piece of work is done, ask what next.

Let him decide what he wants when he wants until he appreciates that you can only work on one thing at a time.

Why are you watching and bidding in online auctions for his son?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Berserker wrote:
    Why are you watching and bidding in online auctions for his son?

Because he told her to and saying no in small, owner-managed companies is often a *lot* easier said than done.

OP, you haven't actually confirmed, did he reduce your salary along with your hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

thinking this happens when working in small places in the midlands; also, one of the disadvantages may be that not too many options for ppl to look elsewhere.

look - I don't know how you organize your work, but thinking that adding some visualization support (like the use of a kanban board) can help your boss recognize the impact on your current tasks when he asks you to be flexible for his son.

- while you're having your conversation you can also show him that "there is so much time left this working week, adding task that takes couple of hours would delay this task or impact on these tasks you wanted next days."

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Because he told her to and saying no in small, owner-managed companies is often a *lot* easier said than done.

OP, you haven't actually confirmed, did he reduce your salary along with your hours?

I did say no initially, I said they wanted the report done and the project completed. His reaction was 'sure it'll only take you 10 seconds' this more certainly was not the case!! I did say I am working on the reports for the main company and wanted to try get onto the project. But sure I can clearly do both at the same time! Because straight away he then asks when will the report be ready :confused:

BTW the son is a middle aged man who is well able to use a computer himself.

I don't mind being flexible but it's just the attitude that I can get these little side bits done and still get my 'real' work done in the same time frame. He's not really computer literate so maybe that is some of the confusion.

He did reduce my salary along with my hours. When I did say about getting my work done in the reduced time he said 'but sure at the start of the summer we agreed you'd take on extra office duties' I said I did, but now that my hours have been reduced that is no longer possible. Well he was shocked! :pac: I said will we just try and refresh everything that I don't want to leave him high and dry. The company is in dire straights and on a personal level I'd be worried he'd have a melt down/ heart attack.

It's annoying though I am flexible I brought the mini project home with me to do tonight it does need to be done ASAP to close a sale. It's a one off so I don't mind but I doubt it will be appreciated.

BTW the son is a middle aged man who is well able to use a computer himself.

I feared as much. Need to find a way to nip that one in the bud. Does he give you limits for his bids?
    He did reduce my salary along with my hours.

The workload needs to reduce accordingly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

there's also something to do with social welfare that if you are put on a shorter working week you have to write your boss a formal letter requesting that you be re-instated to full time in future....something to do with benefits qualification if you sign onto the dole in the future...check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

In the circumstances you describe, do.not.bring.work.home. Ever.

Because I can guarantee you that it will quickly become the norm and you will be working full time of part time hours. It happens a lot.

Diziet wrote: »
    In the circumstances you describe, do.not.bring.work.home. Ever.

Because I can guarantee you that it will quickly become the norm and you will be working full time of part time hours. It happens a lot.

I know I shouldn't have but I knew first thing tomorrow all I'd hear would be 'is it done, is it done, is it done!' so I am trying to make life a little easier for myself really. Maybe once I'm caught up after the honeymoon it'll be grand. I'd have just stayed late at work but it is pure creepy in the dark there alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Easy to say from the outside, but what you need to do is separate and prioritise the truly urgent from the nice to have (for your boss) and accept it will not all be done in the 3 days you work. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen part time work expand to fill in full time hours, which is a great deal for the employer but less so for the employee. The only remedy is to not do it and be very consistent in working the time you are paid for (and prioritise the truly urgent work). Best of luck!

Edited to say: If you work outside your hours, make sure you get overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He did reduce my salary along with my hours. When I did say about getting my work done in the reduced time he said 'but sure at the start of the summer we agreed you'd take on extra office duties' I said I did, but now that my hours have been reduced that is no longer possible. Well he was shocked! :pac: I said will we just try and refresh everything that I don't want to leave him high and dry. The company is in dire straights and on a personal level I'd be worried he'd have a melt down/ heart attack.

I'm not surprised the company is in dire straits, cause he sounds like an utter halfwit.

If I were you I'd start looking elsewhere, because I don't think you're ever going to be able to explain to him in a way that he'll grasp that 5 into 3 doesn't go.

Advertisement