Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on quotes

Options
  • 19-11-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure what I should be paying for a fitted house alarm system. I've been quoted around €1200 for the following from 2 places. Does it sound about right?

1 Panel
    1 keypad
    1 external bell box
    1 internal sounder
    3 door contacts
    6 window contacts
    1 Pet Friendly PIR

The 1 PIR for the hall upstairs. Window and door contacts are for downstairs.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: This is not monitored. I just want it to integrate with an app.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

About right.
    Are you getting charges anything for the apps? or for their usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭limktime

KoolKid wrote: »
    About right.
    Are you getting charges anything for the apps? or for their usage?

I need to double check that. One is HKC, the other is Vanderbilt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

limktime wrote: »
    I need to double check that. One is HKC, the other is Vanderbilt.

Important to double check, but the HKC will be €70 or so per year for self monitoring/app. Vanderbilt should be free.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Also the Vanderbilt polling is much faster so you will be notified in minutes in the event of a poll fail HKC has Loss of connectivity to site detected within 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

bk wrote: »
    Important to double check, but the HKC will be €70 or so per year for self monitoring/app. Vanderbilt should be free.

Correct, €60, it is not free but you are using a dual path communicator.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm not sure what I should be paying for a fitted house alarm system. I've been quoted around €1200 for the following from 2 places. Does it sound about right?

1 Panel
    1 keypad
    1 external bell box
    1 internal sounder
    3 door contacts
    6 window contacts
    1 Pet Friendly PIR

The 1 PIR for the hall upstairs. Window and door contacts are for downstairs.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: This is not monitored. I just want it to integrate with an app.

Is the system wired?
    Are they only installing window contacts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

altor wrote: »
    Correct, €60, it is not free but you are using a dual path communicator.

Assuming the engineer installs a dual path communicator. I've seen much to my surprise installers quote the older single path communicators for new HKC installs! I assume trying to offload older kit.

Vanderbilt supports dual path too.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭limktime

altor wrote: »
    Is the system wired?
    Are they only installing window contacts?

Wireless, I believe. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the window contacts?

Wireless, I believe. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the window contacts?

He is asking if they include shock sensors too. Basic window contacts only detect if the window is opened/closed, but don't detect if someone breaks the glass of the window or is tampering with it.

You can get integrated window contacts that also include shock sensors and the is obviously preferable.

Assuming the engineer installs a dual path communicator. I've seen much to my surprise installers quote the older single path communicators for new HKC installs! I assume trying to offload older kit.

Have seen that a good few times in other quotes bk, id say you are correct in your assumption.

Yes they do like them all, at a added cost.

• Advertisement

Most good systems now can facilitate duel path or multiple paths without the need to be tied to annual or monthly subscriptions.
    Siemens for example can handle multiple ATS /ATPs as well as multiple arc connections.
    GSD offer duel path with international sim cards at cheaper rates with far superior polling.
    As always shop around and do your research is the best advice.

Advertisement