Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding for Flight School (IRE)

Options
  • 19-11-2018 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to become a pilot since I was very young, I'm now 23 and would like to act on it. My plan before college was to do accounting and do my professional exams and then put myself through it as there is good money in accountancy but I'm really struggling to get motivated for it now. I've done my 4 years of college and on my training contract (terrible money I might add which is normal for a training contract) but I'm really starting to lose patience with it. I don't particularly want to become an accountant.. the office hours life, living for the weekend doesn't appeal to me at all.. and I haven't even got into the stressful part yet with the exams.

I was just wondering would anyone have some advice for me in terms of funding? As this is the only thing that's holding me back. Is there any banks in Ireland that would offer such a loan? I know you can sometimes put it against a property, but as 23 I don't have any property and my parents still have a mortgage on our house so I'm assuming there isn't an option unless there is something else?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

As far as I know Greg, there's no option like that for funding anywhere. All self-sponsored pilots that I know were either funded by parents or privately, or spent years working and saving and flying part-time to follow their dream. Unless you can get yourself a spot on an Aer Lingus cadet programme, doing accounting may not be a bad idea to help you save up for flying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to become a pilot since I was very young, I'm now 23 and would like to act on it. My plan before college was to do accounting and do my professional exams and then put myself through it as there is good money in accountancy but I'm really struggling to get motivated for it now. I've done my 4 years of college and on my training contract (terrible money I might add which is normal for a training contract) but I'm really starting to lose patience with it. I don't particularly want to become an accountant.. the office hours life, living for the weekend doesn't appeal to me at all.. and I haven't even got into the stressful part yet with the exams.

I was just wondering would anyone have some advice for me in terms of funding? As this is the only thing that's holding me back. Is there any banks in Ireland that would offer such a loan? I know you can sometimes put it against a property, but as 23 I don't have any property and my parents still have a mortgage on our house so I'm assuming there isn't an option unless there is something else?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Greg
    You are in a extreamly enviable position to actually have a Skill/Profession, to actually earn some decent money to put towards flight school.
    Get you head down, save like f&€k for a few year and go for it then. If that is not motivation, I'm afraid no one can do much more for you here!

Advertisement