Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmare with WiFi printer

Options
  • 19-11-2018 4:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭

It took about 4 hours to sets with all the various things I'd to download. I can't use the printer off PCs that aren't the one I set it up on without a security key. The security key did not seem to be provided. The original PC I used is now asking for the security key too, so I can't print from any PC!

Does anyone know how to get such a security code? It's the HP ENVY 5000 we've bought. Had a quick google and there seems to be a million different answers for how to get the security code.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Isn't the security key you need your WiFi password? Should be printed on the back of your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just from Googling... Is WiFi Direct on? Try turning it off and starting the wireless setup again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Brregzit

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just from Googling... Is WiFi Direct on? Try turning it off and starting the wireless setup again.
    Well it's showing up under connections on any PC (so I guess that means yes). But when you click on it, it asks for a security key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Brregzit wrote: »
    Well it's showing up under connections on any PC (so I guess that means yes). But when you click on it, it asks for a security key.

As I say isn't that the WiFi key?

Any chance you could post a screenshot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When you first power up the printer, the printer has it's own wifi 'network'. This is so you can connect to the printer to connect it to your home network.

Sounds like the printer is not attached to your home wifi, instead you're attaching directly to the printer (either via a cable or via the printers ad hoc wifi network).

Step 1, get the printer attached to your home wifi network.

mordeith wrote: »
    Isn't the security key you need your WiFi password? Should be printed on the back of your router.
    Doesn't work. It seems there's a different one for the printer.

I'm trying it there again. It seems to be making me download the same sh1t as it made me do yesterday all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You need, somehow, to connect the printer to your home wifi network, i.e. your broadband router. Once that's established, the printer will be available on your home network and you won't need to enter any security keys.

What you're doing now is connecting each device that wants to print with the printer's own, different, wifi network which will be a PITA. It will also mean that any hardwired devices such as desktop pc's won't be able to print at all.

Rather than go through hoops with the manufacturer's software it might just be easier to go through the printer's own display and keypad, assuming it has one, and connect it to your home network that way.

Alun wrote: »
    You need, somehow, to connect the printer to your home wifi network, i.e. your broadband router. Once that's established, the printer will be available on your home network and you won't need to enter any security keys.

What you're doing now is connecting each device that wants to print with the printer's own, different, wifi network which will be a PITA. It will also mean that any hardwired devices such as desktop pc's won't be able to print at all.

Rather than go through hoops with the manufacturer's software it might just be easier to go through the printer's own display and keypad, assuming it has one, and connect it to your home network that way.
    I did. No luck.

It's not like I hadn't thought I had it set up already anyway! It's only a matter of time before it starts giving other issues.

Live's too short. I'm going to buy a new one.

• Advertisement

Have you tried following these instructions?

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c05573084

A new one could easily have the exact same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭NSAman

Please make sure that the computer AND the printer are on the same network (obvious I would have thought but in our office the boss constantly makes this mistake and all hell breaks loose)

Attach the printer to the network using the wifi setup on the printer.

open control panel and do a search for the printer.

Select and hey presto it should load....

(this from a long time HP expert with printers)

Also if you're running Windows 10 and it's a recent model of printer you don't need to install any of that HP stuff at all. If you really want to, do it after you have the basic Windows installation done first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Use the screen on the device to connect to your network them everything connected will see it

I have an older version of that printer and it's a doddle to set up from the little built in screen. Don't give up do easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You will be 6th or 7th i know having this cr@p with HP ENVY 5000. Even when installed on single PC it manages to loose connection and you have to go through all "pairing" sh1t again.

Set printer on static IP, install drivers manually

WiFi printers... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I had the same issue with my HP envy printer, are you with Virgin media for broadband? I connected the printer to the modem using an Ethernet cable and that seemed to work. Also worked from my phone when I turned WiFi off!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I wouldn't bother trying to do it from your PC, do it directly from the printer.

Try the following. Before you start you will need to know:

The name of your home wifi network.
    The WEP/WPA key for your home wifi network.
    1. From the home screen on the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon.
    2. Touch the Setup icon.
    3. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard.
    4. Touch the name of your home wifi network in the list of available networks, and then touch OK.
    5. When prompted, type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.
    6. A summary screen displays.
    7. Touch OK to return to the home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Anytime I had to set up a printer I came into trouble setting it up for wifi through wifi. Best bet would be to set it up first on the PC with the USB cable then set it up for wifi. Once the drivers and what not are installed you will then be able to connect to the wifi driver on the printer. Once it is set up on your network it will be available for other devices.

Advertisement