Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Security Camera set up

Options
  • 19-11-2018 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I'm looking to set up some security cameras for my house. I have a couple of Cat6 drops located around the exterior for this purpose and I plan to set up POE IP cameras with them. Most of these cameras don't have special requirements other than infrared vision. For my front door, however, I'm hoping to use a camera that includes two-way audio capabilities. My intention is that when someone calls to the door I could view through the camera who is there and communicate with them also if I chose to. Ideally, I would like to do this via a mobile/tablet device but it would be nice to even have this on my TV. All the Cat6 cables feedback to a single point where I intend on setting up a compatible NVR (or alternatively to dedicated Blue Iris machine) to record the footage.

I know there are smart doorbells that provide a lot of this functionality but I want to avoid anything cloud/subscription based and I still want the camera to serve as a security camera primarily.

Has anyone here any experience with this type of set up? Can I do 2-way audio as well as video over a single Cat6 and if so can anyone recommend a suitable camera for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you get an IP based system, then both video and 2 way audio would be carried over the cat 6 cable as data.

Hikvision have a wifi doorbell which records to SD card or to their NVR's, I think this would avoid a cloud subscription.

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Video-Intercom/Wi-Fi-Door-Bell/DS-KB6403-WIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have you looked into any NVRs or cameras yet OP. Interested to see what you're considering as in a similar position looking to set up some video security while avoiding monthly/yearly subscriptions with cloud based devices.

In the process of doing some renovations so research has been on the long finger but a neighbour's house was broken into recently so starting to look again and hopefully pick up a bargain in seasonal sales.

I realise Hikvision mostly gets great reviews and they have some nice 8MP cameras but the NVR+camera kits are pretty expensive:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIKVISION-MEGAPIXEL-DS-7604NI-K1-DS-2CD2185FWD-I-SURVEILLANCE/dp/B07CHPP5T7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1542921496&sr=8-8&keywords=hikvision+cctv+kit
    While at it would prefer to get an 8 channel NVR for future additions which makes things more expensive again.

Reolink have caught my eye however and this kit looks good and at a somewhat more reasonable price.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIKVISION-MEGAPIXEL-DS-7604NI-K1-DS-2CD2185FWD-I-SURVEILLANCE/dp/B07CHPP5T7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1542921496&sr=8-8&keywords=hikvision+cctv+kit
    Anyone have any experience with them?

Most of the other kits listed on the likes of Amazon such as Swann, Sansko or Annke look like lower quality dvr systems with 2MP cameras so willing to spend that bit extra if the bump in quality warrants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Look at hiwatch as this is Hikvision's cheaper alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Look at hiwatch as this is Hikvision's cheaper alternative.

It is cheaper but the DVRs are low spec compared to the HIK branded ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Reolink have caught my eye however and this kit looks good and at a somewhat more reasonable price.
    [.

Have 8 410's on a nvr using POE via cat6a. Never had a problem and they have good prices today. Record 24/7 with audio. They have motion alerts to the phone, email etc.

They have an app so you can steam to laptops, phone etc. The software is the weakest but they update it monthly.

No monthly fee or any of that jazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Reati wrote: »
    Have 8 410's on a nvr using POE via cat6a. Never had a problem and they have good prices today. Record 24/7 with audio. They have motion alerts to the phone, email etc.

They have an app so you can steam to laptops, phone etc. The software is the weakest but they update it monthly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Security-Surveillance-Recording-RLK8-410B4-5MP/dp/B01C5JE3DS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543006030&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=reolink&dpPl=1&dpID=41T2w81shfL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Are they the cameras you have?

£110 off

Yeah that's them but the newer 5mp model. I have the 4mp one.

€760 for that deal, how does that compare to what you paid for yours

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

bk wrote: »
    If you get an IP based system, then both video and 2 way audio would be carried over the cat 6 cable as data.

Hikvision have a wifi doorbell which records to SD card or to their NVR's, I think this would avoid a cloud subscription.

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Video-Intercom/Wi-Fi-Door-Bell/DS-KB6403-WIP

Thanks for the recommendation bk. It looks like this camera requires a power connection. In my case, I only have POE available. My existing doorbell is wireless but I have a Cat6 drop over the door.

I've been researching for a while and as far as I can see there's nothing really out there to suit my ideals. Nevermind, a one-way audio cam will do ok.

I have actually been looking at Reolink but I do have some concerns about the NVR software. Nevertheless, when another Lighting Deal comes around I might pull the trigger yet.

The other front-runners are Dahua & HiWatch. Duhua seems to be well regarded by CCTV folk but it doesn't seem to be as easily sourced here / in the UK.

I've been told that you should use the same brand for NVR and cams. Does anyone know can you use HiWatch cams with a Hikvision NVR however? Seems like since they're essentially the same company this should work.

€760 for that deal, how does that compare to what you paid for yours

I got the 16ch nvr. Think it was last black friday for 850 or 899 with 4 cams.

• Advertisement

Thanks, what the image quality like during day and nighttime hours, would you have any trouble reading a reg plate from 10m for instance.

Thanks, what the image quality like during day and nighttime hours, would you have any trouble reading a reg plate from 10m for instance.

Day no bother. Night the license plates reflect the ir so you need to be clever with your placements.

There is an OK video to show you.

https://youtu.be/sH0o-H0mCWM remember YouTube compresses the hell outta that so the straight from nvr footage is vastly better.

Reolink NVR 4 camera 8-channel 5MP kits are on Lightning Deal right now. They also continue to allow you to apply a €65 off promotion too.

Original price: £430.99
    Lightning price: £344.79
    Lightning + promo: £279.79

2 dome & 2 bullet
    4 bullet
    4 dome

The 8 Cam 16-channel version also has its own deal

Original price: £779.99
    Lightning price: £623.99
    Lightning + £110 Off promo: £513.99

I pulled the trigger on the bullet and dome cam combo.

[EDIT] - Amazon won't deliver these direct to Ireland. I used my Parcel Motel address

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Reolink NVR 4 camera 8-channel 5MP kits are on Lightning Deal right now. They also continue to allow you to apply a €65 off promotion too.
    Thanks, going to purchase this also but not seeing the £65 promotion. Where do you see that.
    I think it's a case of the lightening deal being in place of the £65 promo offer as only promo offer currently visible is £15 off a £500 spend.

You should see it directly below the You Save value. I have already selected it in the screenshot below but it was in the location for me.

466938.png

Bizarre, I'm not seeing that at all.
    Where you have Voucher all I see is Promotion Message which has the below options:

All Reolink Cameras - Buy £500 get £15 off, £800 get £20 off, £1000 get £50 off, £1200 get £100 off (Terms and conditions apply)
    Voucher Collected

All Reolink Cameras - Buy £1500 get £150 off, £2000 get £300 off, £3000 get £600 off, £5000 get £800 off (Terms and conditions apply)

Original price: £430.99
    Lightning price: £344.79
    Lightning + promo: £279.79

2 dome & 2 bullet
    4 bullet
    4 dome

The 8 Cam 16-channel version also has its own deal

Original price: £779.99
    Lightning price: £623.99
    Lightning + £110 Off promo: £513.99

I pulled the trigger on the bullet and dome cam combo.

[EDIT] - Amazon won't deliver these direct to Ireland. I used my Parcel Motel address

they won't even ship to the north for me, I have to use address pal

Hmm... not sure what the story is there. If I log out and return to the page I also don't see the promo.

I also selected a ParcelMotel NEWTOWNABBEY address no problem

I'll let you know if Amazon honour it or not *crosses fingers*

irishbuzz, had you previously been looking at those cameras and added the voucher?

I had looked at the 8 camera kit and added the voucher and now that is the only kit thats showing me the voucher, I'd say its a glitch with the system, got the 8 cameras and 3tb nvr for £500 whereas the cheapest I could get the 4 cameras was 344

I had yes. Looks like you could be right Amazon doesn't reset the voucher when it was already applied.

• Advertisement

I had yes. Looks like you could be right Amazon doesn't reset the voucher when it was already applied.

yea must be what happened alright

had decided against the 8 cameras but for an extra £150 I'm getting 4 cameras and a bigger nvr

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

I bought these last week, the 4 dome, it was the only one that would ship to ireland the rest had to use PM, PW, AP.

My order has been dispatched anyway.

The Lightning Deal is now over and Promotion is back active. If anyone here is still interested in buying this and isn't in a rush I would suggest they pick the appropriate product and add the Promotion now. Then set up a CamelCamelCamel or Keepa tracker for that product and wait for the next Lightning Deal :)

My order has been dispatched anyway.

The Lightning Deal is now over and Promotion is back active. If anyone here is still interested in buying this and isn't in a rush I would suggest they pick the appropriate product and add the Promotion now. Then set up a CamelCamelCamel or Keepa tracker for that product and wait for the next Lightning Deal :)

I think you got very lucky and got this at an amazing price. I had been contemplating these for a while and hadn't seen a lightening deal previously and also such deals don't show on CamelCamel who's price history shows it as never dropping below £430.99.
    The voucher discount of £65 looks like a recent additional for the Black Fri sales so having got that plus the voucher you did exceedingly well. I think it should have been one or the other and no matter what I tried I couldn't get both together. I had an open tab with the voucher but when I tried to apply it said I wasn't eligible and any new tab just showed the lightening deal.
    I ended up buying it via the lightening deal which was slightly better than the voucher but it would have been real sweet to get both discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I purchased this https://www.swann.com/uk/swnvk-874504 and it works perfectly but I live on a busy street and when it rains the system gives me a lot of false alarms. I now realize that I want thermal recognition and this only has motion detection.

I am currently looking to replacing mine with this system https://www.swann.com/uk/swnvk-885804

My setup is only a few months old and I may consider selling it if anyone interested, if I don't manage to sell ill keep it and add the old cameras to the new one and have thermal on the exterior and motion on all the interior.

Advertisement