Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western democracies vs. One-party capitalist governments

2»

Comments

The comparison the the op was with the Chinese and Vietnamese. China has recently come on board on climate change and doesn’t have to worry about the general population as much (obviously they do a bit).

China has come on board with climate change because their environment is nasically wrecked.

Colleagues were in China a few years ago and a smog as thick as a soup hung round the city some days. Theres nothing like it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭The Wild Goose

Just look at Trump and his denial of climate change.

Maybe Trump has seen Ivar Giaever's (Nobel laureate in physics) talk entitled "Global Warming is Pseudoscience"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxHfb66ZgM

Worth checking out.
    Incidentally, when did it morph from 'global warming' to 'climate change'?
    Maybe around the same time e were all freezing our asses off in the snow last March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Maybe Trump has seen Ivar Giaever's (Nobel laureate in physics) talk entitled "Global Warming is Pseudoscience"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxHfb66ZgM

Worth checking out.
    Maybe around the same time e were all freezing our asses off in the snow last March?

I've noted that he's not a nobel laureate in, say, climate science...

No, it's gone well past the stage where you can engage in climate change denialism and expect to be taken seriously. You may as well have rocked up and started going on about the elves that live in your garden.

The ignorance contained within these two sentences...

... demonstrates that you haven't even the vaguest notion what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭The Wild Goose

Gbear wrote: »
    I've noted that he's not a nobel laureate in, say, climate science...

No, it's gone well past the stage where you can engage in climate change denialism and expect to be taken seriously. You may as well have rocked up and started going on about the elves that live in your garden.

The ignorance contained within these two sentences...

... demonstrates that you haven't even the vaguest notion what you're on about.

And there was me thinking that 'climate change' has been happening for the last 4.5 billion years or so, when in fact it is only a recent phenomenon.
    Silly me, and silly dinosaurs too for imagining that cold snap.
    If only they had CNN at the time...they would've set the record straight.

I didn't realise at the time of replying to your post (but should have given your Trump bashing) that I was again engaging the previously encountered Gbear.
    Had I been aware I would of course have avoided crossing swords with one of such superior intellect, be it political, economic, meteorological or otherwise. Your grasp of all things truthful is only matched by that other bastion of knowledge, CNN.
    Now if you'll excuse me I have a 10am meeting with some elves at the bottom of the garden

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

With as much respect as I can muster, maybe you should do some basic research into the difference between "climate" and "weather" before saying things that just make you look silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And there was me thinking that 'climate change' has been happening for the last 4.5 billion years or so, when in fact it is only a recent phenomenon.
    Silly me, and silly dinosaurs too for imagining that cold snap.
    If only they had CNN at the time...they would've set the record straight.

I didn't realise at the time of replying to your post (but should have given your Trump bashing) that I was again engaging the previously encountered Gbear.
    Had I been aware I would of course have avoided crossing swords with one of such superior intellect, be it political, economic, meteorological or otherwise. Your grasp of all things truthful is only matched by that other bastion of knowledge, CNN.
    Now if you'll excuse me I have a 10am meeting with some elves at the bottom of the garden

'Trump bashing' suggests people are exaggerating or making things up about him. Basically you can't truthfully and factually discuss Trump without coming across like that. The man denies climate change. How's that bashing him?

It's commonly known that global warming causes erratic weather pasterns. Also Global warming is climate change, it's in the 'warming' part.
    It's merely coincidental that denial works well for the pockets of fossil fuel lobbyists, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not trying to be antagonistic here, but isn't that a succinct definition of fascism?

China would disagree.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

One post deleted. This forum is for serious political discussions only. If you want to post conspiracy theories, please use the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Interesting thread.
    Will read it all later and possibly comment

• Advertisement
Advertisement