Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hsg test...not sure what is next

• 19-11-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

So I had my egg reserve checked, an internal and today I had the hsg test. Now awaiting the results.

Meeting the consultant in early January about what next

It was mentioned at my first consult that once results come back from hsg and egg reserve that I may need a larascopy and then there was a mention of ivf . I'm not sure the steps involved at all.

Was any one told when they had their hsg whether all was ok? Got nothing..no information. I asked but was told results go back to my doctor.

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

My first one, the radiographer basically told me that the consultant would go through the test results in detail with me at our next appointment, but that it looked good there were no blockages. Second one I asked at the end and they didn't tell me or even hint, just said I'd get an appointment in the post to discuss it. The first was private and the second was on the public system, but it could just be different hospitals have different procedures to follow.

The investigation plan you are on is pretty much standard I think and similar to mine.

So first they check that the two ingredients -egg and sperm are functional, then check that there's nothing blocking them from meeting. If there is, then they sort that out. Theoretically then you could then go on to conceive naturally yourself without IVF. If they think your ovaries need a bit of help, then they might put you on Clomid for a few months to see how that works. Often the next step might be IUI, and then onto IVF or ICSI depending on how you respond. Sometimes the investigations might show a known cause of infertility in which case some of those treatments might be a waste of time and money, so you'd skip those and go straight to the treatment that has the best odds for you.

Hope it's resolved quickly for you.

Advertisement