Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet cable and tv cable installed through the house

Options
  • 19-11-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey..just looking for some advice...for the last few months I've been using my phone as a portable hotspot to use internet in different devices etc...there's no modem currently in the house but I have signed up as a new customer so a modem has arrived in the post and I want to see how to proceed?i won't get billed till I plug it in etc and I would like cables installed first...

..I would like to install Ethernet cables into upstairs bedrooms and run them down to the modem which I may place just inside the front door?..The telephone wire/box is currently just inside the front door also..there's a wall Esb socket here also..
    I don't know where the best location for modem is...If I put the modem in the tv room, then I'll have to route the Ethernet cables to this location which may be more of a pain?.....

also looking at putting Ethernet cables into downstairs rooms also.....

I also wanted to put a Saorview /free to air type aerial into the attic and run tv cables to bedrooms and rooms down stairs etc....

I'm prepared to get some carpet and floor boards ripped up -to do a neater job on getting Ethernet and tv cables installed everywhere....
    Is this the best way of hiding them?
    Any ideas of how best it can be done to hide them?

To future proof doing this, what's the type of Ethernet cable I should install? I would like to use cable that's well capable of using gigabit broadband ...
    From looking into it here previously -I heard of people using cat 6 a cable?
    Is this the cable I should get installed?

I guess it makes sense to try to get the one person to install both the Ethernet and tv cables and to keep costs down etc....has anyone been through this and have they any recommendations of who might be able to quote me to do both jobs ?..
    Would electricians install both or is there somewhere else I should look?..I'm in Clondalkin , Dublin 22..what other trade may do this?
    Any advice would be appreciated..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Some years ago I installed cat 5 cabling throughout the house myself
    All terminated on a cat 5 patch panel in the airing cupboard the reason for putting it in the cupboard was that as more devices were connected I knew I would need a network switch and as most switches have a fan I did not want noise to be an issue
    instead of running all the cables back to the router.

Run 1 cable from where the router ( phone line ) is now back to a central point in the house
    run 2 cat 6 or 7 cables from all the rooms you need all back to the same central point and install a patch panel & network switch.

Try out the wireless router for coverage ( does not need to be connected to internet to gauge coverage from your chosen location )
    as even though your main devices ( xbox / playstation /computer /media center ) would be hardwired you will still need wifi for phones tablets.

It was a little easier for me as its a bungalow so all cabling from cupboard to rooms went through attic and down through the stud partitions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and the hot press hasn't killed the switch?

Skerries wrote: »
    and the hot press hasn't killed the switch?
    No not a bother on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Powerline no?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

brooklands wrote: »
    i won't get billed till I plug it in etc and I would like cables installed first...

Dunno where you got that, your ISP will bill you from the live date on the operator side, not when you deem you want to use. They're paying OpenEir from the live date.
    Powerline no?

Last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brooklands

Amm that's what I agreed with Vodafone...I told them I'm only in the process of moving in to my house and that there was loads of work to do....so they said I won't be charged until I start using it....no money has been taken via d.d. Yet anyhow.....

Flashinthepan, is the modem near the patch 5 panel , are they both in the cupboard and is the patch panel just connected to the modem via 1 ethernet cable or how is it connected?im not familiar with this stuff!!thanks

Modem is in cupboard beside the switch
    modem is plugged into switch with 1 x 0.5m patch lead
    Switch is patched out to the cat5 panel with 8 x 0.5m patch leads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

At minimum wire all rooms back to a central cupboard or press, and distribute internet and any other data you wish from that central point.

#
    Cat5e cable is 1Gb/s capable within the home. If the distance is long then Cat6 would give better results most likely.
    #

You also have the option to distribute live TV and stored media over the cat5e cable, if you centralise the tuners and their management in the press.
    If you go this route it would also be easy to allow mobile devices to access live TV and media.

It takes a bit of work, but if starting from scratch, and you want a few rooms wired up, then it is worth considering.

Thanks for all the advice and the ideas....ill have to get someone in that can install tv cable points and Ethernet points into each room....it sounds like both of Ye wired it all yourselves, which isn't an option for me but I would help whoever comes to do it....
    .is it a "handyman" job or would I be looking for an electrician to do this type of work?.... If by chance Ye have any names etc of anyone that may do this, great and no bother if you don't.....thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't have coax in any room, with the exception of the media press where the tuners are located.
    It was so much easier to run Cat5e cable during renovations .... and the result is a system I am happy with.

The ethernet was distributed mostly by a family member, and it fell to me to make the connections at the cable ends. For that you need someone with some competence in the field or related areas.

Beware of anyone with no experience of ethernet network wiring. ;)

In my case I worked in that industry Telecoms
    So I did it all myself and for free
    I don't trust anyone else to work in my house so ran all the network cables myself from the cuppboard through the attic and down into the stud partitions for a neat job ran two tv cables to each of the combo tv boxes directly from sat dish
    I put a double cat 5 point in each room and extra ones in the living room
    not all are in use but they are there if I need them.

Get a handyman to help you run the cables
    Power
    Network
    Coax

Pay an electrician then to terminate the power cabling !

Have not worked in the field for a while so out of touch now

But you can get cabling & modules / patch panels online or from somewhere like connectix in ballyfermot
    You don't have to buy a cabinet for the patch panels you get a simple wall mounting bracket for a 24 port patch bar
    But a small 6u cabinet looks neater

Thanks for all that info from the 2 of Ye...very detailed...makes it a lot easier for me to figure out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

brooklands wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info from the 2 of Ye...very detailed...makes it a lot easier for me to figure out!!

did you go ahead with installing the cabling? did you do it yourself or outsource all of it? I'm trying to budget the costing of it as I'm moving into a new place and would love to know your experience

Advertisement