Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourdough Starter

Options
  • 19-11-2018 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering would any kind soul be willing to send me a dried sample from an established sourdough starter to get me going please!

Have attempted it from scratch myself in the past but was never really too impressed with the flavour!

Also just a quick question from some reading on the topic, is it true that you must feed your starter the same flour every time - i.e can't switch from white to rye/wholemeal? Why would this be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Hi all,

Wondering would any kind soul be willing to send me a dried sample from an established sourdough starter to get me going please!

Have attempted it from scratch myself in the past but was never really too impressed with the flavour!

Also just a quick question from some reading on the topic, is it true that you must feed your starter the same flour every time - i.e can't switch from white to rye/wholemeal? Why would this be?

Where are you based? It would probably be better if you managed to get your hands on a liquid starter. Reviving dried sourdough can be tricky.
    I have two established starters. One rye, one wheat. I was told that the bacteria adapt to the type of flour, so changing the feeding flour can have a negative impact on the overall balance and acidity.
    If you can't get your hands on a starter locally (try Freecycle) I'd be happy to dry some for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

I got it sent to me from this. I put a dollar in an envelope. It came very fast.

http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

You could call into one of the bakery's that do it on site and ask for some starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I was given a jar of starter last night by a friend. It’s like having another child. :eek:

I was recommended to watch this video a few times to learn the basics.

https://youtu.be/2FVfJTGpXnU

Advertisement