Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puncture repair question

• 19-11-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

My wife got a puncture repaired today. There was a screw in the tyre close to the edge (picture attached).The repair was carried out with a plug, which I thought were no longer allowed to be used?

It's my understanding that the tyre should always be removed to check the inside of the tyre and a rubber plug is inserted from the inside to repair. Just want to check before I ring the tyre centre tomorrow where it was done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll pay a lot more for the proper puncture repair then the plug.

People have been fixing punctures with plugs for years without issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's a bit too close to the sidewall to repair IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I think it's fine, for peace of mind throw that wheel on the back and forget about it, if the plug sealed the hole it's a small hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are you saying that the tyre was not dismounted and the plug fed in from the inside?

Here are some guidelines on the topic, but they do come from with some bias to replacements of tyres...
    http://btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

I have a feeling though that 90% of repair shops would repair these over replacing the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking along the same lines as Toyotafanboi, the screw is very close to the edge. The spare is nearly bald so will probably put this tyre on as the spare and buy a new tyre. I have the name of a decent tyre fitter in Galway so will ask his opinion and buy new tyre from him if recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

In a situation like this I think it best to remove the tyre completely, sand down the inside and apply an interior patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

kevin65 wrote: »
    ...It's my understanding that the tyre should always be removed to check the inside of the tyre and a rubber plug is inserted from the inside to repair. Just want to check before I ring the tyre centre tomorrow where it was done.

Older plug type inserted from the outside, newer type from the inside -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I have run flats on my car, and I keep one of these rubber worm repair kits in the boot, as I have no spare,no Jack, nothing.

I've never had to use it, but I'm sure one day it'll be of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

That plug could be fine and hold out for the life of the tyre.... But it's too close to the side wall to be repaired IMO. Using it as a spare might not be the best idea either as it could be slowly leaking away in the boot and you'll only notice it's flat when you go to use it.

That can't be patched from the inside either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Plugs are fine in general. I'm not qualified to express a valid opinion on whether or not that's too close to the sidewall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement