Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Soviet - 100 year anniversary April 2019

• 19-11-2018 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭

Well, as we are approaching a huge milestone in our local history, I am hoping that this thread can share any info or events in the run up to April 2019.

Just a short video on the events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0FR8GkBEo

It will be interesting to see how we handle this anniversary, I don't hold out much hope of our LA having anything planned.

Like all moments in time, you could dismiss it as a minor local incident, or you could revel in the fact that at one time, for three weeks, the workers of this city went toe to toe with the biggest war machine on the planet....and not a bullet was fired or a drop of blood shed!

Incidentally, it was reported all over the US and Britain.

Should we go again? Maybe our major and council should start wearing army fatigues!!

Should the lads up in Sarsfield Barracks tool up in case any locals fancy another pop at the resident army?

Should we at least all meet up for beers? Any ideas?

Comments

I lived in the city for several years, and couldn't escape the impression that it was a seismic event locally. To stand up to the nefarious whims of the powerful British Army was hugely creditable, and this should rightly be commemorated as a proud moment for Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Like all moments in time, you could dismiss it as a minor local incident, or you could revel in the fact that at one time, for three weeks, the workers of this city went toe to toe with the biggest war machine on the planet....and not a bullet was fired or a drop of blood shed!

The whole start of the Soviet was a break out of an I.R.A prisoner in which a constable was killed and another injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

adaminho wrote: »
    The whole start of the Soviet was a break out of an I.R.A prisoner in which a constable was killed and another injured.

Of course that was the event (plus the size of the funeral) that prompted the British Army to declare Marshall Law, which then led to the workers strike and the creation of the Soviet, but I don't believe any violent incidents were recorded during the 3 weeks of the Soviet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

For anyone interested, Mick Finns contribution to the Limerick Soviet, in Cleeves, would be a good bet, an interesting story, by an excellent playwright....

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/368264/bread-not-profits-limerick-soviet-centenary-to-be-commemorated-in-major-new-play.html

I don't know of any other events...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was an embarrassing little incident. The perpetrators failed miserably to acheive their objective only succeeding to bring the entire city to the brink of starvation.
    To think that this so called "distinguished playwright" Finn is to receive financial support from the state for the creation of his latest "epic".
    Hope this one bombs at the box office.
    Jesus would weep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

There's a great documentary on YouTube called Soviet na Heireann.

Its based around the Midwest

Well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Next Thursday, 14th March, 6pm, in Limerick Union Hub

https://www.facebook.com/events/398065137609831/

Should be interesting.

Advertisement