Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpaid Internships

• 20-11-2018 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello

I have a degree in Accounting. I failed one exam in my final year, repeated the exam and passed with a good GPA (2:1 level). Unfortunately my degree level is a general pass due to this.

Since I left college last year, I have been unable to get any work in terms of Accounting and have only even had one interview.

I am currently working full time in a non-skilled job but would be willing to give that up and go part time if I were able to get an unpaid internship. I have been looking into it online and cannot find any options or if such a thing even exists. I have given up on the paid option so my last resort is to suck it up, work for free for a few months just to get experience under my belt.

Just to note, I have been told that I interview well and my CV is quite good.

I know the big 4 have things like internships for current students etc but I'm not looking that far. I would take literally take up any back street accounting practice for experience at this stage. I was just wondering if unpaid internships for general practices even exist or are even legal?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I haven't really heard of unpaid internships in many accountancy practices, we had a few T.Y students now and again.

Not trying to be rude, but who has said your C.V. is good? Have you sent it to every accountancy agency? I'd consider going to someone to look at my C.V. if you're not getting calls back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Dont sell yourself short. Unpaid interships are not so much a done thing in Ireland, and all work deserves to be paid.

My advise would be to apply to a various finance jobs and get started on your professional exams.

There are many entry level positions as a trainee accountancy in practices or working a finance based role in industry, (Accounts Assistant, Accounts receivable etc) . Neither has a high level of entry and you will find people with no degree in accountancy working in both.

Your degree will likely give you some exemptions to your professional exams which would mean you would have less to do to qualify than someone who didn't have a degree.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hello

I have a degree in Accounting. I failed one exam in my final year, repeated the exam and passed with a good GPA (2:1 level). Unfortunately my degree level is a general pass due to this.

Since I left college last year, I have been unable to get any work in terms of Accounting and have only even had one interview.

I am currently working full time in a non-skilled job but would be willing to give that up and go part time if I were able to get an unpaid internship. I have been looking into it online and cannot find any options or if such a thing even exists. I have given up on the paid option so my last resort is to suck it up, work for free for a few months just to get experience under my belt.

I know the big 4 have things like internships for current students etc but I'm not looking that far. I would take literally take up any back street accounting practice for experience at this stage. I was just wondering if unpaid internships for general practices even exist or are even legal?

Thanks

I’ve never heard of such an option and even if there were I doubt very much you’d be in the running for it as you have already completely your degree.

To be honest with a pass degree, your biggest issue is going to be getting through the filtering process to even get to the point where you might be invited to an interview.

A couple of things I would suggest:
    - Start studying for an accounting qualification: ACCA, ACT whatever, so you can show them that you are motivated to achieve this.
    - Consider bookkeeping and any kind of position in industry or commerce that will get you in the door to the financial side of things. You can qualify in industry just as well as practice.
    - Networking: the best way to avoid the HR filter is to get in on a recommendation. Be at every dog and pony show that might give you an introduction to someone that could help you. An open door day at a company, an evening course, clubs charities etc.
    - Volunteer to do the books for local charities in your area to get some experience
    - Cold call: use LinkedIn etc to find out the decision makers in a company and call them

It is not going to be easy that is for sure, but if you plug away at it, I expect you will eventually find someone willing to take a bet on you and give you the start you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

whats your location ?
    Hello

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

I might have a trainee position available. What's your location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

List of current trainee vacancies with Chartered Accountants Ireland is below. I'd be surprised in this market if you couldn't get a trainee contract with a 2.1 degree unless you aren't willing to move to a city.

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Prospective-Students/Vacancies#Vacancies

Advertisement