Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would I spot a scam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I think it’s a case of an ex tenant with keys or someone who shouldn’t have keys anyway.

Taking shoes off because someone is unwell in a room would make me run a mile just for that alone? What kind of an illness is it! Jeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I think it’s a case of an ex tenant with keys or someone who shouldn’t have keys anyway.

Taking shoes off because someone is unwell in a room would make me run a mile just for that alone? What kind of an illness is it! Jeez!
    it was because she was in bed unwell and sleeping apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

iamtony wrote: »
    it was because she was in bed unwell and sleeping apparently.

So the smell of feet would help her?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OP.

1. Your brother needs to meet the actual landlord. If he is going to live with him then he needs to meet him.

2. Your brother needs to meet the other tenants. If they are going to live together then he needs to meet them.

3. When he meets the landlord get a full name and ask for proof of id.

4. Confirm the bank account details and name of the account.

5. Transfer the money and get the keys in person (dont give cash).

6. Get a receipt.

Thats about the best you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Removing shoes at the door is either cultural or fastidiousness. The latter would suggest a careful owner.

Still, its not enough to gamble about €1200 on.

The more I read here, the more sceptical I'm becoming. Sorry for sounding negative.

change tack here OP. Work from the starting point that its a scam, then try to prove its not.

Bank draft at the door, and keys in hand? Might prove where the money has gone but no guarantee of getting it back if its a scam. After all, how long after getting keys would it be before finding out?

If this was my son, risking his hard earned money, I'd be ringing alarm bells all over the place - but would still try to get to the bottom of it, in case its genuine despite first impressions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So the smell of feet would help her?

Its so they wouldnt make noise while walking around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

OP.

1. Your brother needs to meet the actual landlord. If he is going to live with him then he needs to meet him.

2. Your brother needs to meet the other tenants. If they are going to live together then he needs to meet them.

3. When he meets the landlord get a full name and ask for proof of id.

4. Confirm the bank account details and name of the account.

5. Transfer the money and get the keys in person (dont give cash).

6. Get a receipt.

Thats about the best you can do.

+1 to all of the above.

He is hardly going to move into a room in an owner occupier place without having met the owner is he?

Bedding money? Is he not bringing his own duvet/pillows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Its so they wouldnt make noise while walking around the house.

Wow, now this puts quite a complexion on it if you think about it. If someone with no right to be there walks in, they certainly don't want to be noticed.

Did the 'agent' take off her shoes as well?

Ok, no more advice* from me, if this was me I'd be gone now. Broken Arrows 2 posts are better than anything I've said , or even thought of to be honest.

* if it can even be described as such.

So the response to would you take a bank draft was yes but it will have to dropped to the person who showed him the house this morning, at their house, in drumcondra and it has to be today as she's going away tomorrow.

I told him to leave it everything is wrong about it. Its tough because he is living in a tourist hostel paying the nightly rate and he is looking for a place for months without any luck.
    He is viewing another place tonight, hopefully that goes better.
    Thanks everyone for your help, and it really did help, he wasn't believing what I was saying till I read out what you were saying on here so maybe you saved him loosing out on that money so keep up the good work:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It's a scam.

A PSRA registered property service provider will not have a uk hotmail address.

• Advertisement

So the last email was asking to meet in person and they came back about 2 hours later saying something came up, room no longer to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

So the last email was asking to meet in person and they came back about 2 hours later saying something came up, room no longer to rent.

So definitely a scam and quite a creepy one at that.

So definitely a scam and quite a creepy one at that.

Sounds like it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I would alert the website people (if advertised on website)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Yes, report it to Daft etc (be useful to do a Google of the address in case it is also listed elsewhere) because other people won't be so careful!

Funny enough the landlord contacted me yesterday via boards and it's all above board, she had her own reasons she wouldn't go into why the room was no longer available. When we asked to pay by draft she though we were the scammers lol.
    Anyway it's terrible the world makes you so suspicious of everyone nowadays.
    Turns out the person that showed my brother the property was the landlords mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Funny enough the landlord contacted me yesterday via boards and it's all above board, she had her own reasons she wouldn't go into why the room was no longer available. When we asked to pay by draft she though we were the scammers lol.
    Anyway it's terrible the world makes you so suspicious of everyone nowadays.
    Turns out the person that showed my brother the property was the landlords mother.

Hopefully this thread shows her how not to go about renting a room!!

Advertisement