Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching bills to new tenants

Options
  • 20-11-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi. I am renting out my house to new tenants and have no experience of switching electricity/sky etc to a tenant.
    The electricity seems straight forward as long as I close out my account with a meter reading on move-out date.

Broadband:
    I have a contract that has 14 months to run.
    The option is to change bank details for direct debit or transfer the contract?
    (The lease is for a year, so the contract could be transferred back after)

Sky:
    Again two options I think I have.
    -Close out the account and maybe leave my sky viewing card for the 30 days notice to run out. I'll be leaving the country. If I take the viewing card, my sky box only picks up BBC/Film4 sometimes/news channels. The sky support team have warned that receiving sky at my house may be locked out for 12 months if I close my account. Unfortunately, they cant give me a definitive answer.
    -Change the bank details on my account.

Phone is monthly, so easily closed out.

Any experienced members who have a knowledgeable answers to the above.

The less hassle choice seems to exchange the broadband contract & close the sky account, but having no sky after a month would have implications.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm not a landlord, but could you maybe add the cost of the broadband and sky onto the rent and include it in the rental package?

I broke up with my ex earlier this year, all our accounts were in my name but as he was staying in the house he wanted to take them over.
    I was told I could change the direct debit details to his, but my name couldn't be taken off the account as I was the account creator and holder.

So basically, if he defaulted on his payments, I'd be responsible for the costs. But not only that, if he wanted to change his package, they would have to ring me and ask for my permission as I was the account holder.

The only way around it was to cancel the accounts and let him set up his own. It involved a hefty cancellation fee but it was better than being potentially tied to someone else's debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 casualguy

Its a private broadband company outside of the mainstream, so changing the contract is not a problem, according to the manager. On sky, I think I will cancel, they will have the notice period to find a way around the locking of sky for the property. It may not lock anyway. I would like to let them have full control of the bills side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just transfer electricity and gas.

Broadband and tv contracts are your own problem. Just cancel and take a hit or move them to your new addresses

If they want to sign up for them they’ll get introductory offers themselves.

Advertisement